Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any advice

Options
  • 27-08-2008 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

hay looking to start doing some target shooting with a rifle. i am 18 never had any real guns only airsoft guns which you dont need a license for. would i be able to get a rifle and a licence straight away or do i need to have a shot gun for a certain time i think i have been givin some crappy info so far by people with big mouths and nothing to back it up ha. any advice i am grateful for thanks aaron

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

There is a fair few wind talkers out there Aaron. What part of the world are you in? You should really find out where your local target club is and pay them a visit. No disrespect but you can't really compare airsoft with the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

Jonty wrote: »
    There is a fair few wind talkers out there Aaron. What part of the world are you in? You should really find out where your local target club is and pay them a visit. No disrespect but you can't really compare airsoft with the real thing.

longford.oh i know there nothing alike it just me simply saying how inexperienced i am hahaha its the closest iv gotten to firing a gun ha.do you have to be a member of a club i heard you just need permission to shoot on two farmers land

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Find out about any clubs in your area. Go there and see if they will let you use club guns to see if you like it. In my case I had to join (400euros) before I was allowed use club guns. I took a liking to it, bought a .22 rifle, applied to the gardai for a licence and 7 weeks later got possession of my gun. Banging away ever since.

Tis a bit of a drawn out process but I guess it weeds out the mildly interested from the more interested. I found it an expensive sport to start but after the initial outlay its fine. Especially .22 ammo. Cheap as chips in comparasion to other types.

The above all relates to target shooting. AFAIK if you want to hunt you need permission from 2 landowners to hunt on their land. Not sure if land size is an issue.

Best of luck,

Heckler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

amaughan wrote: »
    longford.oh i know there nothing alike it just me simply saying how inexperienced i am hahaha its the closest iv gotten to firing a gun ha.do you have to be a member of a club i heard you just need permission to shoot on two farmers land

Your right you don't need to be a member of a club to get a rifle you will need 2 or 3 permissions depending on your local super .
    Try and get to know a few local lads and get them to bring you with them and get some experience with a real gun before you head out on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Howdy,

A lot of factors out there when it comes to shooting.
    Depends on what type of shooting you want to do.

10m Air Rifle etc like you see on the Olympics
    50m-100m rimfire/smallbore Target shooting which is nice an cheap to do!
    Somthing at greater distances like 300m-600m-1000m (more expensive)

As peeps mentioned a .22 is a good place to start. The rifle itself
    could work out cheaper than an airsoft AEG ! LOL!
    (can get a new rifle for 3-400 Euros) Ammo is cheap at about a fiver a box of 50.
    (May be a bit of an anti climax though if your expecting some recoil etc
    or have some expectations on what it feel like to shoot a real gun)

A Gun safe is a good Idea to buy (you dont currently legally need one but
    things may go a lot smoother if you get one +its common sense)
    A safe may set you back 2-300 Euros.

If you only want to do target shooting and you dont intend to use it to Hunt
    then joining a club may be a good idea. This may be expensive depending on the
    club. Some clubs charge a lot for Initial Member ship fees but once you are a member
    the re-newel fees are far less.

For me starting out,
    I paid around 450 Euros for the Rifle. (new)
    I paid 300 Euros for the gun safe.
    I think initial membership fees for the gun club were 460ish starting out at the time.
    Scope price is what ever you want to spend.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

You need a valid reason to get a firearms license.

There are only really 2 reasons , target shooting and hunting.

You want to target shoot, so you will need to be a member of a target shooting club or range to show the gardai you have a valid reason for wanting a firearms license.

Depending on your Super there should be no problem with getting a rifle as your first license.

If on the other hand you wanted to hunt with a rifle you will need letters of permission from landowners or to join a gun club who already have permission on various land.

Advertisement