Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking in New Zealand

Options
  • 27-08-2008 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been looking at some websites about hiking in NZ. I'm not a hiker but I'm pretty fit and I'd relish 4-5 days out in the open on a fairly well beaten track. I'll be there in October so it'll be early spring. Can someone give me the lowdown on how it works?

Some websites offer hikes for hundreds of dollars which seems crazy. It looks like they feed you and provide you with equipment and some luxuries, but where's the challenge in that?

From what I can see, you need to book DOC huts to stay overnight at the very least. They cost around $10 yeah? Can you do this and then organise all your own supplies yourself? I'd like to keep costs down without going to extremes. I'd like to pick up a few companions beforehand as I think i'll be travelling on my own. Is it a bad idea to go on your own?

Are there generally places along the way where you can pick up food supplies?

Some of the more popular hikes like Milford Sound have limited places and are likely to be booked out. Is it worth trying to book early for the likes of that? I've read that Abel Tasman is impressive. Any suggestions?

Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rob007

Hey, did you ever get an further with this? I'm planning a trip mysel;f - and your question is identical to my own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

We did half the Abel Yasmin in November buyt didn't do an overnight on it. We walked nearly 30km, bloody great, truly spectacular. We weren't organised enough for overnighting, didn't have sleeping bags etc.

We just did lots of one day walks. From what I picked up you book overnight with the DOC (department of conservation). Most towns have good options for picking up trail food so no problems there.

Have you looked at doc.govt.nz?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭mosstin

In New Zealand myself right now though not doing much trekking as it's winter. There are the Great Walks which all sound spectacular and which would have to be booked in advance for the time you're doing them.
    Essentially you stay in huts along the way which I think may be serviced during the summer but I think they cost a lot more than 10 bucks, probably closer to 50. Peak season is busy here but apart from the Milford trek - which would be stunning as it ends at Milford Sound - there's the Kepler trail which begins at Te Anau and is also very popular.
    The site you need to look at is greatwalks.co.NZ
    Happy tramping!

Advertisement