Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu failing to run on VPC2007

• 27-08-2008 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,
    The host system is a Dell Vostro 1700 (laptop), Intel Core Duo (2GHZ), 3GB RAM, 100GB Hard Disk space (250 hard disk shared with Ubuntu 8.04).

It is a dual boot system Vista Ultimate SP1/Ububtu Desktop 8.04, both working fine.

What I am attempting to do is run virtual machines on Virtual PC 2007 (vpc2007) in Vista. I have a vm running (XP Pro SP3) successfully on this system but I cannot get Ububtu desktop 8.04, Ububtu Server 8.04 nor SUSE 11 running in vpc2007.
    vpc2007 is allocated 1GB of RAM just in case for each vm (none of these vms running concurrently).

I have tried to boot from the .iso files downloaded myself from Ububtu and SUSE, tried to boot from the CD-ROM of these OSs, used the F4 key to boot in safe graphics mode, "Try Ubuntu with any change to you computer" - correct :) and "Install Ububtu". I get as far as choosing the language and the options on the boot screen but no further.

I have read and tried the suggestings on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToConfigureUbuntuForMicrosoftVirtualPC2004 and from other sites but to no avail.

The only error message that I get is when I try to run from the Physical Drive Z: ( in my system). The sequence passes the boot screen before the screen goes black and displays an error. The error reads "An unrecoverable processor error has been encountered. The virtual machine will now reset." The Resource Meter in Vista shows both CPUs in excess of 60% when trying to install Ubunto.

It will not be the end of the world if I cannot get this going, I will have to use VMWare, but like climbers just because it is there I would like to attempt and achieve success..

Not too sure if this is the correct forum and my apologies if I am incorrect. But any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tommy.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What version of 8.04 do you have as the iso, is it the i386, or one of the other ones? Maybe your cpu architecture on your installed os doesn't match the virtual architecture?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tommygib

Hi MarkR,
    Yes all .iso are i386.

"Maybe your cpu architecture on your installed os doesn't match the virtual architecture? "
    Am I correct in thinking that the vmware would try to mimick the host system cpu architecture? Ubuntu is already running directly from the hard disk.
    vpc2007, in it's "Setting", indicates that "Hardware Virtualization = Not available" on all vms, including the XP vm that is running. In fact in comparing the setting between those that are running and those that are not there appears to be nothing that I would image as conflicting.

Or am I missing something else?

Thank you for the speedy response.

Tommy.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Maybe some help here, and Here. Looks like a few people with the same error on the ubuntu forums..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Call me a cynic, but I'm not incredibly surprised that one of the most significant competitors to Windows won't run on a Microsoft VM suite...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tommygib

Hi MarkR,
    I have tried the alternate iso image but still unsuccessful. I have posted a message to the forums that you mentioned and I will keep this thread posted just for future reference.

For the cynics out there, it does appear that this procedure is possible. I guess that I am just one of the lucky ones (you know the ones who the harder they work the luckier they get) - or is that just cynical ;)

Tommy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I tried before and was unable to get it working.

There are some posts about getting Ubuntu 7 working with it, e.g. http://blogs.msdn.com/mikekol/archive/2007/08/06/making-ubuntu-7-04-work-under-virtual-pc-2007.aspx

but the tips didn't work for me, and I was using a similar system to you but with XP instead of Vista.

In the end I installed VirtualBox, and used that to get a virtual Ubuntu running, with little effort.

Advertisement