Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test tips?

Options
  • 27-08-2008 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

any tips on how to pass or at least not fail drastically?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ill move this over to the Learning To Drive forum.. day da professionals :p

Topic Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

any tips on how to pass or at least not fail drastically?

In one sentence, drive in such a way that the tester will feel safe at all times.

In more sentences:
    -Have you documents and car in order (check all the bulbs work!).
    -Know the routes, so you can minimise the number of surprises.
    -There's no need for pantomime mirror checking, just be sure to move your head a little. Adjusting your mirrors so they're a tiny bit off can help.
    -Often repeated, and easier said than done, but confidence makes a huge difference.
    -If you make a mistake, FORGET ABOUT IT. Dwelling on it will cause you to make more.
    -Remember, the instructor will mark a lot of grade 1s, which don't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well i'm sure you've gone out for lessons with an instructor, best thing to do would be to ask them, as we dont know your specific driving habits.
    +1 to most of the above, except the offsetting your mirrors. Set them up correctly, ie, so you can just see the car on the inside of the mirror and so they're not pointing skyward. If you have more specific questions we could probably give you clearer answers.
    Well best of luck either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭capedcrustacian

well i don't think i have too many bad habits, except for "riding the clutch" which my driving instructor has told me he'll beat me outta if he has to lol

i only found out on sunday when i went home for a visit that i had the test coming up so i'm a bit stressed now at the lack of time i have to prepare (it's this Tuesday and I'm in back in Dublin for work) but I have booked lessons for sat, sun and mon, so hopefully!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

well i don't think i have too many bad habits, except for "riding the clutch" which my driving instructor has told me he'll beat me outta if he has to lol

i only found out on sunday when i went home for a visit that i had the test coming up so i'm a bit stressed now at the lack of time i have to prepare (it's this Tuesday and I'm in back in Dublin for work) but I have booked lessons for sat, sun and mon, so hopefully!!!!!

Best thing to do if you've gotten into a habit of "riding the clutch" is to put your left foot on the floor infront of the clutch pedal, rather than leaving it hovering over the pedal, then lift your foot to use the clutch. It's a common bad habit, and is one best corrected, for the sake of your clutch and test day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Just be a sponge. I wasn't able to get pre-tests before mine and I was convinced I would fail. I got it first time. Not because I'm amazing (there are many other reasons for that:D) but because of a sensible approach.

my driving instructor has also told me he will take me out the day of the test and any time he has free in between, is that normal? also, is alesson the day of the test a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

yeah why not....you're bound to be a little nervous so if you have a lesson before hand gives you a chance to get the nerves out of your system and get any mistakes out of the way as well......best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Observation, observation and more observation.
    Take the driving handy, keep an eye on your speed and proceed safely while remembering the 3 O's above. Signal in plenty of time and be ready to expect the unexpected!

In my test, apart from a few knackers running across the road in front of me ... I had a little fecker come tearing out on to the main road ... in a pedal go-kart. Just swept right out across the road and ploughed on, so just make sure you are aware of potential obstructions etc and you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just think of the price of a new clutch!€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€:D

(....and by clutch, I mean clutch - not the little clutch pedal that's visible. ;))

• Advertisement

Just think of the price of a new clutch!€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€:D

(....and by clutch, I mean clutch - not the little clutch pedal that's visible. ;))

oh don't i know!! had to get alot of work done on my last car, including a new clutch...i really ought to be more careful with my new car lol

Advertisement