Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice: would you change this text and link?

Options
  • 27-08-2008 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I'm doing a bit of work on some websites of mine.

If you take a look at www.laoisjobs.ie you will see the text "Skills, job details, or company name" and "Postcode, suburb or business park" at the top of the screen. You will also see the link "Advanced Search".

1. I think the text and the link look too similar. Can you suggest how I can make them look more different?
    2. I don't think the "Advanced Search" link looks right. It's too big, or perhaps not obviously a link. Can you think of any way I can make it look better?

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MyClondalkin

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Hello

I'm doing a bit of work on some websites of mine.

If you take a look at www.laoisjobs.ie you will see the text "Skills, job details, or company name" and "Postcode, suburb or business park" at the top of the screen. You will also see the link "Advanced Search".

1. I think the text and the link look too similar. Can you suggest how I can make them look more different?
    2. I don't think the "Advanced Search" link looks right. It's too big, or perhaps not obviously a link. Can you think of any way I can make it look better?

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Maybe just a simple bracket like [Advanced Search] or even <b>[</b>Advanced Search<b>]</b>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

How about putting the "Skills, job ..." texts within the text boxes (onclick event clears)?

That way the advanced search link stands out more. I'd underline it too, so that it's more intuitively a link (rather than, say, a texttual description for the green box)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Why do you have "postcode" on an Irish site?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The spacing between the textboxes on the advanced search page isn't right - some are right against others.
    There are also too many textboxes - use radio buttons or something else IMO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Maybe just a simple bracket like [Advanced Search] or even <b>[</b>Advanced Search<b>]</b>
    cgarvey wrote: »
    How about putting the "Skills, job ..." texts within the text boxes (onclick event clears)?

That way the advanced search link stands out more. I'd underline it too, so that it's more intuitively a link (rather than, say, a texttual description for the green box)
    kbannon wrote: »
    The spacing between the textboxes on the advanced search page isn't right - some are right against others.
    There are also too many textboxes - use radio buttons or something else IMO!

Thanks. I'll play around with some of your ideas and see what I can come up with. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Here's two excellent articles on exactly this subject:
    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/contrastandmeaning
    http://www.webdesignerwall.com/tutorials/typographic-contrast-flow/

I'd suggest visually separatign out the Search button and advanced search link.
    Also, I think the whole search bit does lack some contrast, look at the golden pages.
    http://www.goldenpages.ie/displayhome.ds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

p wrote: »
    I think the whole search bit does lack some contrast, look at the golden pages.
    http://www.goldenpages.ie/displayhome.ds

Yeah, the way they do it is lovely.

Thanks!

Advertisement