Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stupid road layouts

Options
  • 27-08-2008 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Fist off, I want to appologise for my appalling MS Paint effort but I think its relativly clear. At least to those who use the road it should be,

This is the main one that sticks in my head but there are another few that I'm sure I'll remember and add in.

When you are coming from town and exit the N4 down into Liffey Vally SC you are presented with 2 lanes going down towards the rundabout (A) . The left lane is and should be a slip right the way round into LV and skips the two roundabouts. The right lane brings you onto the roundabout which lets you go back the way you came on the N4 or lets you go down the fonthill road.

Coming from the N4 inbound you enter the same roundabout but can only go straight to the next roundabout and then go straigh through down fonthill or go left to LV (you can go right aswell as back to the N4 but thats not relevant here).

Now all that would work fine and simple were it not for the space between the 2 shaded in island between the 2 roundabouts. Instead of a raise kerb right the way between the 2 islands its a solid white line (I'm almost certain its a solid line, I'll have to check) . What happens there is that instead of everyone following their lanes as above, they use the area between the 2 islands to negotiate in and out, which , is anything more than light traffic can result in lots of heavy braking and people crosiing over each other.

My query is that why the hell was this not put in as a raised keb to stop all this rubbish?

EDIT. Just looked at the pic fter I added the arrows and it looks and even bigger mess.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭milmo

Headford Rd roundabout Galway City.

Lanes start out of thin air, and vanish just as quick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I drive to Liffey Valley all the time and can't make out what your talking about... draw a better picture! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Holsten wrote: »
    I drive to Liffey Valley all the time and can't make out what your talking about... draw a better picture! :p

I'd suspect you cant figure it out because your one of the ones who comes off the N4 (either direction) and changes lanes (most likely without even knowing the islands are there)between the 2 islands. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

SteKelly you can borrow my quickly drawn map for reference ;)

DonJose wrote: »
    SteKelly you can borrow my quickly drawn map for reference ;)

Pah! did you draw that rubbish with your toes. :D

Thats the one folks. The yellow, in between the 2 roundabouts.

• Advertisement

This was also done in MS Paint ;) The red line in the attached photo is the dividing line between the two lanes and the yellow lines are how the traffic should flow.

DonJose wrote: »
    This was also done in MS Paint ;) The red line in the attached photo is the dividing line between the two lanes and the yellow lines are how the traffic should flow.

Get out, your just showing off now. :)

I especially like the detail you got on the buildings and cars. Your a genius with paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

This may help

EDIT: Beaten to it!!

LiffeyValley.jpg

Stekelly wrote: »
    I especially like the detail you got on the buildings and cars. Your a genius with paint.

The buildings and cars were easy enough but the shadows were a bollox!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm assuming it's like that because it allows you to take the left slip at the first roundabout and then change right if you want to go straight at the second.
    Also the same if coming from Lucan and going left at the second one.

I know the junctions though and agree they can be a bit hairy sometimes.

• Advertisement

SteveC wrote: »
    I'm assuming it's like that because it allows you to take the left slip at the first roundabout and then change right if you want to go straight at the second.

Yes but theres no need for that. Thats what the right hand lane is for, you go left at the first roundabout and that leads you to the 2nd. If the left lane was done riight then it would be a slip right rounf, bypassing the 2 roundabouts without having to worry about people cutting across you.

If I am right in thinking its a solid white line between the islands then its worse because they are relying on people to take it upon themselves to do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Now all that would work fine and simple were it not for the space between the 2 shaded in island between the 2 roundabouts. Instead of a raise kerb right the way between the 2 islands its a solid white line (I'm almost certain its a solid line, I'll have to check) .

I'm almost certain that it's a broken line between the islands. I live close by so I'll go out spin and check! Back in a min.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If I am right in thinking its a solid white line between the islands then its worse because they are relying on people to take it upon themselves to do it right.

I'm not sure, I think the start and end are solid but I think there is some dashed in the middle.

If it's solid all along then I agree, it should be a continuous island.

SteveC wrote: »
    I'm not sure, I think the start and end are solid but I think there is some dashed in the middle.

You're absolutely correct Steve. Photograhic evidence looking towards the second roundabout...

62121.jpg

Jebus - fair play to you Robbie for going out and taking that...:D

Thats fair enough that it's a broken line, but imo it's still stupid. Theres no reason to have any traffic crossing each other there when the road layout looks like it was built and works without the possibility of crossing. It would be much smoother and easier ifit was a raised kerb between the islands to stop the criss crossing and would prevent any bottle necking.

I always use the right lane coming off the N4 and go left at the roundabout. If theres no traffic coming from the right it's almost always quicker to use the right lane anyway and what happens is the people useing the left lane slow to almost stop (especially if I get out just befre traffic from the right) and then not only block other goons that want to g left into the lane instead f going to the roundabout and going left but also the people actually tryign to go right round to LV.

Fair play for going and getting the pic (I assume you dont just have a stockpile of random road markign photos :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Can't beat Red Cow Roundabout for stupid layouts tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Personally I think the North Quays just down from Heuston...

You have your right lane to go over the bridge to the South Quays at the Guinness factory, you have a bus lane

You have 2 centre lanes, the right of which merges into the left for maybe 50 yards (for no reason!) then becomes 2 lanes again - of course I just drove on rather than try and squeeze my way into a line of traffic!

Why???

(Obligatory paint pic attached :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Can't beat Red Cow Roundabout for stupid layouts tbh.

Lucky it's gone now, eh? ;)

The roundabout from the M1 to the M50 and the M3/M50 (Blanch exit) were designed by lunatics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

You have your right lane to go over the bridge to the South Quays at the Guinness factory, you have a bus lane

You have 2 centre lanes, the right of which merges into the left for maybe 50 yards (for no reason!) then becomes 2 lanes again - of course I just drove on rather than try and squeeze my way into a line of traffic!

Why???

I'm a firm believer that this is only there to confuse me, as a culchie, and it's sole reason is to make us panic. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

Why???

I just drive through it(whilst checking my left mirror for mergers of course!) every time. Stoopid stoopid stoopid.

Advertisement