Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts??

Options
  • 27-08-2008 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Starting first year arts and we have to pick the subjects on the 29th...

Anyway, i was hoping to maybe get into primary teaching at the end of it(surprise, surprise:D)

Im defo planning on taking modern Irish....(fun times.....:o)
    But im not sure what other subjects would be appropriate/helpful to me if i go the teaching route...
    Or does it even matter? do you just take whatevvver subjects you fancy?
    Any advice on what to pick?

I dont really know many people who have gone through college already so would reaaally appriciate some advice :rolleyes: so thanks in advance!

Btw! helpdesk = so:eek: not very helpful lol...xD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

To teach at primary level I believe one has to train in a Primary teachers college. I am not sure how long it will take after getting an arts degree tbh. Pick the subjects you want to do and not what you believe are relevant for primary teaching as when you get you diploma in primary education that is all you will need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭IceICEbaby

To teach at primary level I believe one has to train in a Primary teachers college. I am not sure how long it will take after getting an arts degree tbh. Pick the subjects you want to do and not what you believe are relevant for primary teaching as when you get you diploma in primary education that is all you will need.

Cheers...just i heard that the spaces for a post-grad in primary teaching are very limited so they tend to go for the people who are educated in the most useful fields....
    Im just not really sure what they are....lol

That and experience.....but meh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

IceICEbaby wrote: »
    Cheers...just i heard that the spaces for a post-grad in primary teaching are very limited so they tend to go for the people who are educated in the most useful fields....
    Im just not really sure what they are....lol

That and experience.....but meh :rolleyes:

There is a guidance councillor you can visit if you want. It is beside the library, ask around if you want, maybe talk to random people doing arts, you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I don't think there are any subjects you have to take to get into primary. You can have a degree in anything and apply.
    Irish will help because some of the primary interview is done in Irish but there aren't any subjects that will get you in, they'd be more concerned with teaching experience. UCD do a tutoring scheme if you'd like to get involved in that. Posters should go up about it soon after college is back.

(PS: I did Irish, it's not so bad, lecturers are lovely!)

Advertisement