Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God on Trial

Options
  • 28-08-2008 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭

Wednesday 3rd October, BBC2.
    DigiGuide wrote:
    DRAMA: God on Trial
    On: BBC 2 East (102)
    Date: Wednesday 3rd September 2008 (starting in 6 days)
    Time: 21:00 to 22:30 (1 hour and 30 minutes long)

Drama. In a block house in Auschwitz, a group of prisoners demand to know the nature of a God who can allow so much suffering. They attempt to settle their dispute by putting God on trial. Knowing half of them will be sent to the gas chamber, they have only one day to reach a verdict.
    (Editor's Choice, Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles, Audio Described)

Director: Andy de Emmony
    Starring: Stephen Dillane, Stellan Skarsgård, Rupert Graves, Antony Sher, Jack Shepherd, Dominic Cooper

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marked By: 'Category: Drama' marker
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=227722

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
    Might be interesting.

MrP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

This sounds similar to Elie Wiesel's The Trial of God. A Holocaust survivor himself, Wiesel witnessed a similar incident in Auschwitz, but set his book in the Ukraine following a pogrom.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

There's a weak article about it here - it might be worth a watch.

MOD NOTE: The article gives the whole story, outcome and all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Oh yeah, I've heard on this story.
    After finding god guilty they go off and hold evening prayers together :rolleyes: Tradition is more binding than religion it seems.

MOD EDIT: Spoilers tags added - some people might like to watch it without knowing the story outcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Malari wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I've heard on this story. After finding god guilty they go off and hold evening prayers together :rolleyes: Tradition is more binding than religion it seems.
    Yeah, I find that interesting.
    It takes a special kind of person to find your god guilty of the most heinous of crimes and then console yourself by having a quick prayer to him

That said, I think it will make interesting viewing.

MrP

MOD EDIT: Potential spoiler

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sorry to have to edit above. I just thought myself I wouldn't have minded watching this without knowing exactly as it panned out.

Though will probably watch it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah
    Shut up Dades. Go dote on your kid :p

MOD EDIT: Potential spoiler

Oh sorry, thought it was such a famous trial, it was like putting a spoiler up for the end of the titanic. WOOPS

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I never heard of it - but I guess that doesn't mean much!

Did something happen the Titanic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Dades wrote: »
    Did something happen the Titanic?
    Leonardo DiCaprio dies at the end

I think Dawkins mentions it in The God Delusion, which is where I heard it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

No wonder they found him guilty. He wasn't even at the trial!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I think Dawkins mentions it in The God Delusion, which is where I heard it.
    the titanic is in the god delusion? :D

vibe666 wrote: »
    the titanic is in the god delusion? :D

Hmm, I'll have to check and get back to you...;) I'd imagine only in the context of it being a titanic job to overturn organised religion!!

Anyone see the programme anyway last night?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Caught the last 20 minutes of it, as I didn't see this thread. Seemed to be a well acted piece that marched out all the usual stuff about how the Jewish god is a nasty piece of work.

Ultimately it seemed better not to give in to the Nazis and not give up their Jewish identity by abandoning god. I found this reasoning a bit bizarre. Surely by not holding onto notions of racial superiority (the chosen or master race) they elevate themselves above the lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I watched it last night. Very well acted I must say and thought provoking. There was one old man who kept saying that we don't understand the mind of God but the "judge" silenced him several times. I think he made a very valid point. Our intellect in very limited and we can't possibly understand an infinite one.

kelly1 wrote: »
    I watched it last night. Very well acted I must say and thought provoking. There was one old man who kept saying that we don't understand the mind of God but the "judge" silenced him several times. I think he made a very valid point. Our intellect in very limited and we can't possibly understand an infinite one.
    Just because your intellect is limited do not mean you should not question things.

MrP

I thought it was very well acted too. Considering it was a long play-like scene in mostly one setting, they brought the dialogue to life very well.

The argument about not knowing god's mind was countered because they were trying to judge whether god had broken a covenant with the Jewish people, not trying to understand why he might have done that.

MrPudding wrote: »
    Just because your intellect is limited do not mean you should not question things.

MrP
    True but they came to the conclusion that God was bad. But they can't really come to that conclusion because they don't know the whole picture. They can only say that God seems to be bad.

The argument about not knowing god's mind was countered because they were trying to judge whether god had broken a covenant with the Jewish people, not trying to understand why he might have done that.

Did you catch the wording of the coventant that God made with His people? Things were a bit noisy with children bustling about the house :)

Wasn't it something to do with the Jews not being wiped out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

True but they came to the conclusion that God was bad. But they can't really come to that conclusion because they don't know the whole picture. They can only say that God seems to be bad.

When it boils down to reality and what it "seems" to be then with the only part of the picture we can ever see then is that not the truth of things?

• Advertisement

Did you catch the wording of the coventant that God made with His people? Things were a bit noisy with children bustling about the house :)

Wasn't it something to do with the Jews not being wiped out?

I'm sorry, are you asking me if I personally caught the wording? Because as far as I'm concerned it's all a fairytale, but it's what they believed to have happened.

They reckoned that god was a pretty bad guy but that he was on their side, so it didn't always seem like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Our intellect in very limited and we can't possibly understand an infinite one.

If that is true how do you determine if anything in your religion about God is true or not?

That excuse is only ever rolled out when people are criticizing God. Amazingly believers never realize that it also stops them from knowing any of the good things about God either.

Remind me to mention it to you the next time you claim you "know" God exists and is loving and good.

When it boils down to reality and what it "seems" to be then with the only part of the picture we can ever see then is that not the truth of things?
    People used to believe you would fall off the edge of the world if you travelled far enough. Now we see the bigger picture and we know the earth is round and the sun is the centre of the solar system. Out knowledge will always be incomplete because we're inside the system and we have a very limited vantage point.
    I'm sorry, are you asking me if I personally caught the wording? Because as far as I'm concerned it's all a fairytale, but it's what they believed to have happened.
    I was trying to establish the wording of the covenant and more basic still to determine which covenant they were talking about.[/QUOTE]
    Wicknight wrote: »
    If that is true how do you determine if anything in your religion about God is true or not?
    I don't think that's possible really. What I do know is that different faiths conflict and can't all be true. I have decided and I have faith that Christianity is the truth. It's my gut instinct and I believe it to be a gift of the Holy Spirit. I can't ever prove it by reason. I also believe because of the testimony of the numerous saints who devoted their lives entirely to the service of God with great personal sacrifice. I believe many of these great men and women have had wonderful and profound experiences of God's love. Christianity appeals to me because it's totally based on love.
    That excuse is only ever rolled out when people are criticizing God. Amazingly believers never realize that it also stops them from knowing any of the good things about God either.
    If the Gospel is true, the our God is a very loving and merciful God (e.g. prodigal son). The difficulty is in reconciling the God of the NT with the OT.
    Remind me to mention it to you the next time you claim you "know" God exists and is loving and good.
    I don't actually "know" anything about God - I only have faith to go by. So call me a fool.

If the Gospel is true, the our God is a very loving and merciful God (e.g. prodigal son).

Well yes, but that is meaningless. The Gospel says God is good, so of course if it is true then God is good.

If the sentence "Hitler was a nice guy" is true Hitler was a nice guy. The point is that you have the ability to determine that the sentence isn't true.

If you have the ability to determine that the Gospel is true then others have the ability to determine that the Gospel isn't true. If you have the ability to determine God is good others have the ability to determine that God is evil.
    I don't actually "know" anything about God - I only have faith to go by. So call me a fool.

You're a fo ... whoops, nearly got banned there :pac:

I don't think you are fool. I think you are deluded and manipulated. And I think it is a shame. And I hope you don't do bad things because of this.

I don't think you are fool. I think you are deluded and manipulated. And I think it is a shame. And I hope you don't do bad things because of this.
    Funny, I think the same is probably true about you. Deluded and manipulated by rational argument and dismissing things which cannot be proven or disproven.

Are you quite certain that you're not being manipulated by people like Dawkins and Hitchens? Are you not being manipulated/bombarded by the media which puts power, wealth and physical beauty on a pedestal and makes no reference to God? How can you be so certain that I'm the one being deluded/manipulated and not you? Don't you see the arrogance of your assertion?

Deluded and manipulated by rational argument and dismissing things which cannot be proven or disproven.

I'm not sure many people would call that being deluded ... being sensible maybe :pac:

Is it being "deluded" to not think L. Ron Hubbard was talking to aliens because this conclusion was reached through rational argument?
    Are you quite certain that you're not being manipulated by people like Dawkins and Hitchens?
    Well, no.

But then I don't follow either Dawkins or Hitchens. Heck I wouldn't even trust Hitchens to mind my bag for 5 minutes.
    Don't you see the arrogance of your assertion?

Not really (how arrogant of me)

Kelly you have already admitted that you have no idea if you actually are following the correct religion or not. You do it because it feels right/nice/comfortable/easy what ever...

Yet you still follow what it says as absolute authority over all things

Does that not strike you as a bit odd?

If it walks like a duck....

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    If it walks like a duck....

MrP

Yeah, since when did things start working like that?

Wicknight your client is charged with raping and murdering 17 women. Do you have anything to say?

Well judge, yes it looks bad. But how can you say it actually is bad? For all you know there is a really good reason he raped and murdered those girls.

Very true, hadn't though about that. Really I don't have all the information, there is a possibility that he had a perfectly good reason for doing what he did. So how can I proceed. Charges dismissed.

It seems more and more that the standard line coming from those pesky Christians we so love to argue with, is that there is a lot we don't know. As if that some how is a point or argument. God appears to be bad, but sure there is a lot we don't know, so maybe he's not. It sounds like something you would hear on Father Ted.

I'm not sure many people would call that being deluded ... being sensible maybe :pac:
    You could be wrong as I could be. Maybe you've been listening to the wrong people and believed their lies. So please don't try to tell me that I've been deceived when the same could be said of you. I believe my faith is not contrary to reason but only unbelievable because of our cynicism.
    Is it being "deluded" to not think L. Ron Hubbard was talking to aliens because this conclusion was reached through rational argument?
    I agree. His story doesn't make sense. Who created the aliens and what is their purpose?
    Well, no.

But then I don't follow either Dawkins or Hitchens. Heck I wouldn't even trust Hitchens to mind my bag for 5 minutes.
    But surely you adhere to a atheist mindset and discuss atheism with people who share your beliefs. Don't they have an influence on your beliefs? You didn't come to the conclusion that God doesn't exist in isolation did you?
    Not really (how arrogant of me)
    You have to admit you could be wrong about God!? What makes you so certain that I'm wrong and you're right? I call that arrogance.
    Kelly you have already admitted that you have no idea if you actually are following the correct religion or not. You do it because it feels right/nice/comfortable/easy what ever...

Yet you still follow what it says as absolute authority over all things

Does that not strike you as a bit odd?

Faith is something that's very hard to explain. I just "know" that Jesus spoke the truth, it's a very core "feeling". Love is what life is all about and Jesus' message was all about love. I don't know of any other religious leader who placed so much emphasis on selfless love. That's one reason why I believe in Him. BTW, I don't impose my beliefs on anyone. I try my best to pass on my faith without any coercion.

• Advertisement

Yeah, since when did things start working like that?

Wicknight your client is charged with raping and murdering 17 women. Do you have anything to say?

Well judge, yes it looks bad. But how can you say it actually is bad? For all you know there is a really good reason he raped and murdered those girls.

Very true, hadn't though about that. Really I don't have all the information, there is a possibility that he had a perfectly good reason for doing what he did. So how can I proceed. Charges dismissed.

It seems more and more that the standard line coming from those pesky Christians we so love to argue with, is that there is a lot we don't know. As if that some how is a point or argument. God appears to be bad, but sure there is a lot we don't know, so maybe he's not. It sounds like something you would hear on Father Ted.

Does your sarcasm make you feel superior?

Advertisement