Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God on Trial

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

kelly1 wrote: »
    I just "know" that Jesus spoke the truth
    Is this the "objective external reality" that you mentioned earlier?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

But surely you adhere to a atheist mindset and discuss atheism with people who share your beliefs. Don't they have an influence on your beliefs? You didn't come to the conclusion that God doesn't exist in isolation did you?
    If you have a read through this thread you'll find a lot people came to the conclusion in isolation. In fact that's the best way to reach it - without all the pomp and preconceptions that come with the subject. Without even looking at any particular religion, laid bare, the benevolent god concept just doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

I doubt anyone ever became a catholic in isolation, btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

But surely you adhere to a atheist mindset and discuss atheism with people who share your beliefs. Don't they have an influence on your beliefs? You didn't come to the conclusion that God doesn't exist in isolation did you?

Speaking for myself I've always been an atheist even before I knew there was a word for it. I never believed in God since I had the ability to think about it and from what I've found out a lot of atheists are the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dades wrote: »
    I doubt anyone ever became a catholic in isolation, btw.
    PDN did claim a while back that sometime in the 70's, an uncontacted tribe turned up somewhere in PNG towing christian folklore, but details were not forthcoming. I suspect that the pastor who claimed this might not have been completely unbiased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Does your sarcasm make you feel superior?

Well yes, isn't that the point of sarcasm?

Does victim hood make you feel more reassured in your faith?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

You could be wrong as I could be.
    We could all be wrong Kelly, it is about looking at if we are or not.

What are your reasons for saying you aren't wrong? At the moment you appear to have that you don't feel like you are wrong.
    I agree. His story doesn't make sense.

Neither does your story. God has a "son" who comes to Earth to get killed by Romans so that God can not send people to hell for disobeying him.

So why can Christians happily say that scientoglists who believe it is all real are deluded, yet I can't say it about Christians.

You have to admit you could be wrong about God!?
    I certainly could be wrong about God. I could be wrong about pretty much anything.

But what you want me to say is that because I could be wrong that makes your religion some how valid or likely or plausible. It doesn't. I could be wrong, but it is much more likely you are.
    Faith is something that's very hard to explain. I just "know" that Jesus spoke the truth, it's a very core "feeling".

Which is meaningless. You are probably just wrong.
    Love is what life is all about and Jesus' message was all about love.
    No, Jesus' message was about avoiding hell. That was the purpose of Jesus in the first place. God's message is about obedience.
    I don't know of any other religious leader who placed so much emphasis on selfless love.
    Well you probably aren't looking very far. The eastern religions put far more emphasis on selflessness and compassion that Christianity ever did. Christianity is ultimately about saving oneself.
    BTW, I don't impose my beliefs on anyone. I try my best to pass on my faith without any coercion.

Your religion teaches that the fate of anyone rejecting the religion is an eternity of suffering and pain. Your religion also teaches that not following its definition of what is moral is wicked.

That is the continuation of the manipulation, because some unfortunate souls end up believe it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

robindch wrote: »
    PDN did claim a while back that sometime in the 70's, an uncontacted tribe turned up somewhere in PNG towing christian folklore, but details were not forthcoming. I suspect that the pastor who claimed this might not have been completely unbiased.

I inquired about this myself. Alas, as you said the details did not come.
    I suspect the pastor in question, merely took the stories/legends of the local tribe and manipulated them into sounding more like Christian ones. It wouldn't be hard to manipulate them considering the primitive tribe probably taught he was a messenger from the Gods himself.

Advertisement