Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reasons to start watching wrestling again

• 28-08-2008 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

To new people first because they might not know they are reading words from the great one.
    I was the King in here ( pro wrestling) at one time, i was god. My word was gospel.

Now the topic

I stopped watching wrestling about a year ago, i felt WWE was getting stale.( So i guess i am no longer the king.) Question 'is it worth my time to start watching wrestling again?

I will see what answers i get, bear in mind i need a lot of catching up, but i want reasons to start watching it, not news. For example - are the story lines still more or less the same or has a new bunch of writers given new life to the shows.

Anyone in here who thinks they are great should fear me if i start watching wrestling again. I am that damn good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

triple h wrote: »

Anyone in here who thinks they are great should fear me if i start watching wrestling again. I am that damn good.

You and Rovert are going to get along swimmingly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

To new people first because they might not know they are reading words from the great one.
    I was the King in here ( pro wrestling) at one time, i was god. My word was gospel.

I can vouch for all of this

I only really keep up with Raw, so I can only really talk about what's happening there. There's a sort of younger approach that they've been taking. CM Punk is the champion. Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase (young guys, sons of former wrestlers) are the tag champs. Another new guy, Kofi Kingston, was the IC champ until last week. Now it's Santino, one of the most consistently entertaining people on Raw

I wouldn't say that much has changed from a year ago. There's no Vince around though. The GM is Mike Adamle, not an overbearing GM like they've nearly always had

The best part of Raw for a few months now has been the Shawn Michaels/Chis Jericho feud. It's been one of the most entertaining that I've seen in a good while. Watch Raw for that

I hear that Smackdown and ECW are often better than Raw, maybe you should watch one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Bubs101 wrote: »

lol.

A challenger for the number 1 heel poster finally emerges! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Now the topic

I stopped watching wrestling about a year ago, i felt WWE was getting stale.( So i guess i am no longer the king.) Question 'is it worth my time to start watching wrestling again?

I will see what answers i get, bear in mind i need a lot of catching up, but i want reasons to start watching it, not news. For example - are the story lines still more or less the same or has a new bunch of writers given new life to the shows.

Forget WWE, watch some puro, watch Kobashi enduring as one of the greats, watch Morishima clubbing bitches to death, watch Tanahashi and Goto mature into super workers, watch Kota Ibushi become the next pro wrestling sensation, watch Speed Muscle and Ricky Marvin produce the best high flying action in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nah he's way too over as a babyface. :)

I think this year has been a really poor one for wrestling. There doesn't seem to have been any real stand-out matches or feuds for that matter.

I've been finding it tough to stick with the shows and I think they are relying heavily on gimmick matches. (The next title matches being an example)

I think it would be tough for anyone who has been away from wrestling to get back into it with the current state of things. I say roll on Survivor Series.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

lol.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Nah he's way too over as a babyface. :)

Im actually going to ask you all to knock it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

triple h is no heel.

To answer your question, the reason you should start watching wrestling again is for the sake of this place!

We need to find some sort of a wrestling league for you to enter. Here might be one: http://www.talkwrestlingonline.com/fantasy-wrestling-league.php

Although there is some good stuff like the Jericho/Michaels feud, I don't think there is a whole lot of "must see" tv on any of the shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

No, you ruled at a fantasy league, and those days are long behind you. :)
    Now the topic

If you thought it was stale a year or so ago, then don't bother in my honest opinion. Especially with the amount of talent that are benched (Cena, Orton, Kennedy). The draft took place and all of RAW's decent talent (HHH, Jeff Hardy and to a certain extent, Umaga) got drafted to Smackdown, leving RAW in the crapper with a less than credible world champion in CP Munk.

Smackdown on the the other hand still kept their top talent in the sense of Edge and Undertaker, sadly Edge isn't having the best year of it after his push being cut short by HHH, and then subsequently buried by Undertaker at the last PPV.

If you feel like throwing up now, i'll understand, i know i did!

Were you on crack when you typed this? Come back kentonbomb, all is forgiven. :)
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

JERICHO!

Jericho is back and Jericho is heel

HHH is on Smackdown now

Ooh, the King in here? There's like what? 10 Regular posters? :pac:

But anyway,

I actually must disagree with some of the others. Personally, i think WWE has been doing great in 2008 thus far (Wasn't a huge fan of two elimination chambers in the same night at No WAY Out, but everything else has been pretty good I thought).

I think RAW has been excellent as of late. I'm loving all the new guys, but particularly enjoying the main event feuds these past few weeks, when everyone's angles were getting intertwined (Cena, Batista, Punk, Kane, JBL). I just thought it was going really well.

Santino is consistently entertaining, although i must admit, I'm not hugely mad about this Beth Phoenix-related storyline. He's still pretty good though.

I haven't seen a lot of SmackDown! or ECW over the past while. ECW seems to be OK if you're looking for a televised indy show with a fancy titantron. Other than that, to me personally, it doesn't offer a whole lot (although it was my favourite brand before the draft). Morrison is quite entertaining to watch, but wasn't on ECW the last time i watched it (although i did see Shawn Spears make a debut and i can see a bright future for him for some reason).

SmackDown! been kept alive and interesting thanks to Edge and Undertaker. They've kinda dominated the show, to the extent that i can't even tell you who else is feuding on there.

Overall, for someone who is apparently the reigning king of boards.. I think its a bit of a silly question. If you've got time to sit down and watch it, watch it. If you don't, then don't. You can catch it on youtube, and it only takes one trip to WWE.com to see what's going on in WWE's little world.:(

• Advertisement

JP Liz wrote: »
    JERICHO!

Jericho is back and Jericho is heel

HHH is on Smackdown now

Jericho is back, and Jericho is heel and Jericho is wearing a nappy and has a quiff the height of the Spire of Dublin.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Jericho is back, and Jericho is heel and Jericho is wearing a nappy and has a quiff the height of the Spire of Dublin.

VR!
    what a dreamboat

1e8c379350b055aa9389df3cn3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

"Sexy pout number 2"

zoolander-blue-steel.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I knew this day would come!

Welcome back my old nemesis. You want a reason to watch wrestling? I'll give you one! The boards.ie fantasy wrestling league. I've been working on it for a week or two and I'll post details in the near future. How does that sound?

Minto wrote: »
    I knew this day would come!

Welcome back my old nemesis. You want a reason to watch wrestling? I'll give you one! The boards.ie fantasy wrestling league. I've been working on it for a week or two and I'll post details in the near future. How does that sound?

What the hell is a fantasy wrestling league, by the way?

I hear people talking about them all the time but i never bothered to ask what they are :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭rvd156

Just watch it because deep down you know you want to....

Plus the storylines are slightly improving.....

And wrestlemania 25 is gonna be MASSIVE....:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Now the topic

Insightful message boards?

rovert wrote: »
    Im actually going to ask you all to knock it off.

Excuse me? What do I have to knock off? It was said by comic book guy that triple h was a challenger to being the number one heel poster on the board and I said he - triple h - was too much of a babyface to pull it off.

You didnt come into. F*ck's sake. :rolleyes:

To avoid an argument starting:

What is everyone's favourite feud right now?

Personally, I'm really enjoying HBK/Y2J. I think its been better than Taker/Edgo so far to be honest :(

Excuse me? What do I have to knock off? It was said by comic book guy that triple h was a challenger to being the number one heel poster on the board and I said he - triple h - was too much of a babyface to pull it off.

You didnt come into. F*ck's sake. :rolleyes:

For the record i wasn't on about rovert to do with the heel thing, i was on about

ME!

MWAHAHAHAHA!

no seriously i didnt mean rovert.

I think through this:
    Originally Posted by Bubs101 viewpost.gif

Is how rov' thought we were on about him, but i dont think there is any harm done?
    :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

To avoid an argument starting:

What is everyone's favourite feud right now?

Personally, I'm really enjoying HBK/Y2J. I think its been better than Taker/Edgo so far to be honest :(

HBK / Jericho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

1 great reason to watch WWE .... Cody Rhodes, he is great.

Fantasy league coming back would be deadly though.

What the hell is a fantasy wrestling league, by the way?

I hear people talking about them all the time but i never bothered to ask what they are :o

It was a sweepstakes run a few times by WWE. Its pretty much like fantasy football but with wrestlers. For those who don't know about fantasy football, you get so much money and then buy wrestlers based on your budget.

For those interested, the scoring system is what is holding me up at the moment. I'm looking at a simple (and hopefully easy to follow) scoring system, much simpler than WWE's one.

It was a sweepstakes run a few times by WWE. Its pretty much like fantasy football but with wrestlers. For those who don't know about fantasy football, you get so much money and then buy wrestlers based on your budget.

For those interested, the scoring system is what is holding me up at the moment. I'm looking at a simple (and hopefully easy to follow) scoring system, much simpler than WWE's one.

So its like an online GM mode from one of the SvR games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Good stuff Minto and fair play. I reckon it would get a lot of interest at the moment.

Im quite looking forward to this.
    Roughly when will this be up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Fair play to you. I just hope you know what you're letting yourself in for. Even a simple one is a fair bit of work to organize.

Sounds good althouhg it does sound like it would be very tough to keep track of scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

rvd156 wrote: »

And wrestlemania 25 is gonna be MASSIVE....:D:D

wrestlemania 5 and 15 were far from massive and WM20 was a huge disappointment, i can see WM25 being as rushed (storyline wise) as this years summerslam

• Advertisement

Im quite looking forward to this.
    Roughly when will this be up?

I'm kind of thinking of doing it for 12 weeks leading up to Survivor Series, starting the second week in September.
    Fair play to you. I just hope you know what you're letting yourself in for. Even a simple one is a fair bit of work to organize.

I'm hoping to have some help, any volunteers?
    Sounds good although it does sound like it would be very tough to keep track of scores.

Hence the simplified scoring system. It will prob just go on wins/losses/apperances, no weapons/dq/speciality matches scores.

I'm hoping to have some help, any volunteers?

What would you be needing help with?

rossie1977 wrote: »
    wrestlemania 5 and 15 were far from massive and WM20 was a huge disappointment, i can see WM25 being as rushed (storyline wise) as this years summerslam

I really can't disagree here. Wrestlemania V was centered solely around the main event, with little in the way of buildup to the tag or intercontinental title match, both of which were sub par. WWE broke up Strike Force with little or no descention leading up to it, only Martel being out with injury prior to it. Thankfully they learned from this when it came to breaking up The Rockers two years later. Holding it in the same venue as the previous years was also somewhat jaded.

With 15, there was one thing that totally destroyed that from top to bottom with the exception of the main event, his name is Vince Russo. In From January to May of 1999, WWE was all about swerves and shock TV. Boneheaded angles involving Nicole Bass and Ryan Shamrock did f*ck all regarding TV boosts and served for mundane storylines, Undertaker & Bossman had the second worst hell in the cell match known to man, and the Intercontinental title was pretty mush shat on for most of that year anyway. Rock and Austin tried to save that PPV on four legs, but sadly, it didn't quite deliver.

20 was really a 2 match card, the triple threat and Eddie v Angle. Brock v Goldberg was destined to be a disaster from the Royal Rumble because everyone knew that Goldberg had one match left on his contract, and then the week leading up to Mania, Brock had handed in his notice. That match was booed out of the building from bell to bell. Undertakers return as deadman was 50/50, for me, it didn't impress me (i liked the Badass character), and if they were going for the return of the dead man, Undertaker - Texas Ranger wasn't the way to go about it! Jericho v Christian was really only remembered for it's ending. An awesome buildup to a lacklustre match. Everything else was just trying to get as many people on the card as possible. Nearly 5 years later, it hasn't aged as well as maybe Wrestlemania 10 or 17.

Just my €2,000,000's worth.
    VR!

What would you be needing help with?

Just scoring really, all i'd need is someone to look over the scores before i publish them. The alternative would be to post up how I scored it and leave everybody scrutinise them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I considered setting up a fantasy league to entice triple h back, but I backed away from it as soon as I realised that I'd have to watch all the shows and take notes of finishers, weapon shots, etc. A simpler system would probably work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Fozzy wrote: »
    I considered setting up a fantasy league to entice triple h back, but I backed away from it as soon as I realised that I'd have to watch all the shows and take notes of finishers, weapon shots, etc. A simpler system would probably work

A TNA fantasy league would be awesome. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement