Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best iPod car radio?

Options
  • 28-08-2008 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to pick up a new radio for the car. I want one primarily for playing my iPod. I saw in Halfords they have "Alpine" ones that have an iPod lead coming out of them. This seems the proper job, and the best connection.

I have a couple of q's though:

Do you guys know if you can have the iPod cable fed through the fascia and coming out in the glovebox? This is the way I'd like to have it set up as it just keeps everything neat and I dont want cables dangling in every direction.

Also, what are Alpine systems like for sound? I don't know much about car radios manufacturers to be honest. I think I'm right in saying that Alpine supply BMW with their radios though? So they can hardly be junk?

Here's the exact radio I was looking at:

Alpine CDE-9880RHAL CD/iPod Player:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_504667_langId_-1_categoryId_79867

What do you guys think?

Halfords have 15% off everything at the moment (excluding sat navs and a few other things. Radio's included though :)) so I think now is the time to buy! Appreciate any advice and possible alternatives anybody can mention!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have the Alpine with integrated ipod connection (in glovebox) - the unit itself is fine, with good sound (according to my ears, anyway..)

But, a couple of things I'd comment on:
    1. It's a god-send to be able to navigate the iPOd, including playlists, from the head unit. And it charges the iPod as well, which is a ++
    2. On mine, the Quicksearch doesn't work - it's a right royal pain to scroll alphabetically everytime........and it takes ages. You'll have arrived at your destination most times, before you even get to the artist/song you're looking for...:p
    3. You can't use the thumbwheel on the iPod once connected (no biggy, really...but it'd be handy for passengers to use...)
    4. Headunit would be great if there was a remote for it.
    5. Buttons a bit small, but not the worst.

How much is it, anyway?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

http://www.easyishop.co.uk/product.php/348/233/harman_kardon_drive___play_car_kit

I bought one of these a refurbished one for £28 inc postage its a great buy. And it can be hard wired into the back of your head unit, ipod in the glovebox and it charges it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Steve Jobs uses the Alpine IDA-X001 headunit, which is iPod only, no CD Player. I've got the same unit in one of my own cars, and it's pretty much identical to using the iPod itself, there's a wheel to work down through the iPod menu structure, and it displays artwork just like the iPod itself. Couldn't recommend it high enough!

And for those stuck in the last century, if you really musy have a CD Player, you can expand the unit to take 2 iPods, a 6 disc CD Changer, and a Bluetooth interface too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

galwaytt wrote: »
    I have the Alpine with integrated ipod connection (in glovebox) - the unit itself is fine, with good sound (according to my ears, anyway..)

But, a couple of things I'd comment on:
    1. It's a god-send to be able to navigate the iPOd, including playlists, from the head unit. And it charges the iPod as well, which is a ++
    2. On mine, the Quicksearch doesn't work - it's a right royal pain to scroll alphabetically everytime........and it takes ages. You'll have arrived at your destination most times, before you even get to the artist/song you're looking for...:p
    3. You can't use the thumbwheel on the iPod once connected (no biggy, really...but it'd be handy for passengers to use...)
    4. Headunit would be great if there was a remote for it.
    5. Buttons a bit small, but not the worst.

How much is it, anyway?

That model I linked to is 274, less 15% in the sale, so 233.

They also have the model someone else mentioned which is JUST iPod and no CD changer. That one's 229 less the 15% so it works out at 195.

Don't really listen to CD's much, but I like to have the option. ;)

Also, one last question about the fitting of the unit. Did they have to drill any holes anywhere in the fascia or glovebox to fit the unit? I wouldn't be too keen on that to be honest. If I even changed the unit in the future or sold on the car, there would be a gaping hole left behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Enda89 wrote: »
    That model I linked to is 274, less 15% in the sale, so 233.

They also have the model someone else mentioned which is JUST iPod and no CD changer. That one's 229 less the 15% so it works out at 195.

Don't really listen to CD's much, but I like to have the option. ;)

Also, one last question about the fitting of the unit. Did they have to drill any holes anywhere in the fascia or glovebox to fit the unit? I wouldn't be too keen on that to be honest. If I even changed the unit in the future or sold on the car, there would be a gaping hole left behind.

Buy it in the north, if your close, even cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

no, no drilling required to fit head unit. One tiny one to fit lead through back of glove compartment - in some cars it'd fit through the joints.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-dehp6000ub-p-6312.html?cadid=ba565fa6aa30d197306b444ecb68960a

b_dehp6000ub.jpg

I got that one there. Had a code for free delivery too. Worked out at around 170/180 with the ipod cable.

Brilliant radio & the iPod controls are great. The wheel there is like a joystick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I was tempted to buy a new radio as well for playing my iPod but I went for this option.
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=457256

It works perfectly for me,and to my ear the sound quality is perfect.I bought it in PC World for €69.99,the manager is my smoking buddy as she works next door to me so she gave me discount on it as well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

i got one of these a few weeks ago, it allows you to control the ipod from your head unit/steering wheel, charges it and i have it sitting in my glove compartment. All you do is plug it into theback of your existing stereo. absolutely brilliant. i barely take the ipod out of the car now except to change playlists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

The_Edge wrote: »
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-dehp6000ub-p-6312.html?cadid=ba565fa6aa30d197306b444ecb68960a

b_dehp6000ub.jpg

I got that one there. Had a code for free delivery too. Worked out at around 170/180 with the ipod cable.

Brilliant radio & the iPod controls are great. The wheel there is like a joystick.

Did you fit it yourself? + Was it difficult?

Also is the cable for the iPod like a 'proper' iPod connector that goes into the bottom of it, or is it just the usb extension cable a lot of them have?
    bobcar61 wrote: »
    I was tempted to buy a new radio as well for playing my iPod but I went for this option.
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=457256

It works perfectly for me,and to my ear the sound quality is perfect.I bought it in PC World for €69.99,the manager is my smoking buddy as she works next door to me so she gave me discount on it as well:D

I heard about that Belkin thing, sounds supposed to be good alright. But like I said, I'm looking for a stereo with a dedicated iPod menu with everything integrated and no cables etc. If you pay 70 for the Belkin you're nearly halways towards a v.good car radio altogether!
    i got one of these a few weeks ago, it allows you to control the ipod from your head unit/steering wheel, charges it and i have it sitting in my glove compartment. All you do is plug it into theback of your existing stereo. absolutely brilliant. i barely take the ipod out of the car now except to change playlists.

This is just an add-on for Toyota radios?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

This is just an add-on for Toyota radios?

There is versions for other cars also - just hit the right link.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Did you fit it yourself? + Was it difficult?

Also is the cable for the iPod like a 'proper' iPod connector that goes into the bottom of it, or is it just the usb extension cable a lot of them have?

I did fit. Was very easy. Removing the old radio was tricky. Didn't have the tools to remove it (01 Astra) so I made them with a coat hanger. (2 U shaped prongs are needed to remove the radio....u can get these "radio removal keys" in Halfords etc)

Fitting the new one was dead easy.

Yeap, it has a proper iPod cable. Charges iPod etc too.
    Pioneer appears on the iPod screen when you connect it. It sees playlists/podcasts etc.

Edit:
    Oh, you get a remote too.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I got a Sony one in Argos and can't fault it, the menus are (amazingly) very logical and you get a remote which makes skipping artists/albums tracks very easy while driving.

It was €150, add in the 3 years Argos breakages insurance for a few Euro extra and you've got peace of mind too. Think there is one with Bluetooth for €50 extra.

same as this except the LED display is white with a black background
    sony_car_ipod.jpg

Advertisement