Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people go to Australia/New Zealand?

Options
  • 28-08-2008 1:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭

I have always wondered this and heard few satisfactory answers. Surely these countries have little to offer that cannot be found in Europe, indeed, even in Britain (which both are modelled after). Why do people bother going all the way out there for a holiday?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Why do people from OZ and NZ always go for a year away in Ireland/UK? It's the same thing. Have you asked any of them?

I'm presuming people go to gain some new experiences and because you can work in a completely different part of the world and take holidays in another part of the world e.g. go to Fiji instead of going to Lanzarote for two weeks.

Have you lived in oz or NZ? Why do you think they are exactly the same as Europe? From my experience, they're not as hugely different as somewhere like South America is to Ireland but it's sufficiently different as to give me a different work environment and experiences. Plus I've travelled and seen different parts of the world. That in itself is worth it. There's nothing worse than insulated people who have no interest in leaving Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

watna wrote: »
    There's nothing worse than insulated people who have no interest in leaving Ireland.

My thoughts exactly. I can't understand these home birds who are quite content with their 4 bedroom, semi detached house at 25 having worked in the same job since they left school. I'd hate to be so boring.

Travelling is exciting. Seeing new things is exciting. Meeting new people is exciting. Living in another country is exciting. Ireland is not exciting.

Oh, and the weather alone means Australia is nothing like Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Ummm ... different culture, work experience, lifestyle climate, etc.

You also can drive 800km in one day under clear blue skies and meet 2 cars, 5 road trains, 1 jeep, oh and 2 kangaroos am pretty sure that cannot be done round in Europe ... although I haven't been to Scunthorpe lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Húrin wrote: »
    I have always wondered this and heard few satisfactory answers. Surely these countries have little to offer that cannot be found in Europe, indeed, even in Britain (which both are modelled after). Why do people bother going all the way out there for a holiday?

have a read of Down Under by bill bryson.

Also can you name anywhere in Britain that comes close to
    Uluru
    Cape tribulation (the only place in the world where a rainforest and a tropical reef meet)
    Blue Mountains
    Fraser island
    Whitsunday islands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Surely these countries have little to offer that cannot be found in Europe, indeed, even in Britain

I don't you'll find this guy in Britain or Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

I have always wondered this and heard few satisfactory answers. Surely these countries have little to offer that cannot be found in Europe, indeed, even in Britain (which both are modeled after). Why do people bother going all the way out there for a holiday?

Well Húrin where do i start.

First off never say to an Aussie or Kiwi they are modeled after Britain . Its the same as saying Ireland is part of Britain. Doesn't go down to well.

It's true that all speak English but to be honest that’s where the comparison with Britain stops. People travel here for a number of reasons. The weather, the great outdoors, a better way of life. I guess it really comes down to the person them selves. How open their mind is to new things. Out of 5 of us that traveled in 2000 I’m the only one who really fell in love with the place. The rest couldn’t wait to come home.

When you ask anyone who has gone it really does differ from person to person. But I haven’t herd many have a bad word to say about the year they spent down under.

If you’re the sort of person who loves life great weather and adventure you’ll love life down under.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭casey jones

Ozeire wrote: »

First off never say to an Aussie or Kiwi they are modeled after Britain . Its the same as saying Ireland is part of Britain. Doesn't go down to well.

It doesn't go down well ? Is that why the Queen is head of state in Australia and the union jack adorns the Oz and NZ flag ?

As regards the question I think the earlier post disparaging the guy who is 25 and content with his 4 bed semi d says a lot. Oz/NZ is the trendy thing to do right now and if you say you don't fancy it you get dismissed as a bore or a home bird. I know quite a few who have travelled to both and they mostly say NZ is worth visiting for the scenery but Oz is a bit disappointing. There is a lot of talk about the Oz outdoors etc but it is one of the most urbanised countries in the western world, in excess of 90% living in big cities. The cost of living has become expensive and they are going into recession. In fairness to Oz and NZ they have marketed themselves well and are really well geared towards tourists.

However in my view the 25 year old with the 4 bed semi d has a lot going for them and can always travel abroad with work or on holidays in the future. The 25 year olds who spent a lot of their year down under drinking in the Irish bar in Sydney might look down their nose at the 'home bird bore'. But they'll be whinging about the price of accommodation on their return without a bean in their pocket and a couple of tall tales from the outback.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It doesn't go down well ? Is that why the Queen is head of state in Australia and the union jack adorns the Oz and NZ flag ?

As regards the question I think the earlier post disparaging the guy who is 25 and content with his 4 bed semi d says a lot. Oz/NZ is the trendy thing to do right now and if you say you don't fancy it you get dismissed as a bore or a home bird. I know quite a few who have travelled to both and they mostly say NZ is worth visiting for the scenery but Oz is a bit disappointing. There is a lot of talk about the Oz outdoors etc but it is one of the most urbanised countries in the western world, in excess of 90% living in big cities. The cost of living has become expensive and they are going into recession. In fairness to Oz and NZ they have marketed themselves well and are really well geared towards tourists.

However in my view the 25 year old with the 4 bed semi d has a lot going for them and can always travel abroad with work or on holidays in the future. The 25 year olds who spent a lot of their year down under drinking in the Irish bar in Sydney might look down their nose at the 'home bird bore'. But they'll be whinging about the price of accommodation on their return without a bean in their pocket and a couple of tall tales from the outback.

Haven't oz tried to replace the queen as head of state a few times but it gets narrowly defeated in the parliament?

I dont fancy going to oz or NZ and racking up massive debt! a friend on mine came back nearly 15k in debt and she worked for 10 of her 11 months over there! I've been to NZ and Fiji on holidays, loved NZ, was there in their winter and I like the cold. I did a lot of travelling with work which is i really liked as i could do my 9-5 earn money and then do stuff in the evenings and weekends and usually expense it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Oz/NZ is the trendy thing to do right now and if you say you don't fancy it you get dismissed as a bore or a home bird. I know quite a few who have travelled to both and they mostly say NZ is worth visiting for the scenery but Oz is a bit disappointing. There is a lot of talk about the Oz outdoors etc but it is one of the most urbanised countries in the western world, in excess of 90% living in big cities. The cost of living has become expensive and they are going into recession. In fairness to Oz and NZ they have marketed themselves well and are really well geared towards tourists.

There are 2 types of people in this scenario.
    1st, the type who believes life experience is important. People who enjoy that tingle when you see something amazing, who love interesting chats with people from different cultures and who enjoy finding out about new things. New bathroom? Nah, will make do and spend the money developing one's self through travel instead.
    Conversation topics: Travel, culture, society...

The 2nd, those who know what they like and like what they know and see the world through domestic status.
    Why travel when you could put in a new bathroom? Why slum it when you can wait 5 years and afford a 4 star hotel?
    Conversation topics: What you had for dinner last night and the traffic.

Actually perhaps there's the 3rd - those 25 year olds who want a year of the first stuff plus some madness before life gets too serious. Fair play to them to be honest. Plenty of time to moan about the traffic.

Sounds to me like you're just jealous of this lot, cos you haven't had any fun yourself!

Haven't oz tried to replace the queen as head of state a few times but it gets narrowly defeated in the parliament?

I dont fancy going to oz or NZ and racking up massive debt! a friend on mine came back nearly 15k in debt and she worked for 10 of her 11 months over there! I've been to NZ and Fiji on holidays, loved NZ, was there in their winter and I like the cold. I did a lot of travelling with work which is i really liked as i could do my 9-5 earn money and then do stuff in the evenings and weekends and usually expense it :D

She must've been just going out on the lash the whole time and blowing her money to have that much debt, or else wasn't working as much as she said she was.

Personally things could not better in Ireland than they are here. I'm 23, have a career job, live in (renting) a 2 bedroom apartment in the 'trendiest' suburb in Perth about 10 mins drive from the beach, own a car, have seen all of Queensland, am going to Vanuatu for a holiday (island in the south Pacific) and am planning to drive the west coast of the country in the next year.

There's no way I'd have those sorts of opportunities and luxuries back home with the way things are. Why the hell would I be over there?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

1st I cant slam anyone for doing what they want to do.

For some people Ireland is a better bet , mate of mine from north Sydney loves it in cork and wont leave. Some aussies are looking for a faster pace of life when they are younger. So they travel to London.

Oh and blowing 15K , I know the same chick/Blokes who could blow that here in no time.

You have one life best you pack in what you want wether its a 4 bed semi and a wife & kids or a head full of experiences. Both are goals and both are admirable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Xavi6 wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. I can't understand these home birds who are quite content with their 4 bedroom, semi detached house at 25 having worked in the same job since they left school. I'd hate to be so boring.

Travelling is exciting. Seeing new things is exciting. Meeting new people is exciting. Living in another country is exciting. Ireland is not exciting.

spoken like a true 21st century middle class irish kid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

And can I just point out, not all boardsies on this forum are backpackers, here for a year? You could slag off any country in the world for its potential to put someone who isn't working full time into thousands of dollars of debt as they splurge and live it large.

WWMan and I have moved here permanently and currently have no intention to returning to western Europe. We're looking forward to the return of the summer weather, which was a big reason for moving here; the completion of our new house, which was another big reason for moving here; the potential purchase of our first brand-new-off-the-forecourt car, a third big reason for moving here, and our next holdiay, which will be a few days visiting wineries in the Yarra Valley and enjoying the local produce, which is around an hour's drive from our house. Alternatively we could have gone to the snows on Mount Bulla, to go skiing or snowboarding, also an hour's drive from our house.

We love it here. And having lived for 25 years in Ireland and six years in the SE of England, I can tell you it's different to both places.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭coco85

I think the question should be why not travel to nz or Oz?..

Personally we are moving to get away from:
    -weather
    -economic downturn
    -possibility of adventure- seeing new places meeting new people
    -get out of the commute/work/commute/eat/sleep rut
    -be in a position to look back in life when old and grey and say that we have done something interesting and different with our lives .. and not say...

well at 25 i owned my own house, spent my life working my butt off to earn more money only to spend it in a country where the cost of living is constantly rising and wage increases not matching current inflation.

So many of our friends are stuck in this rut and cannot get out due to children and mortgages. We are lucky we can just up and leave..... so why not??
    When we told our friends we were moving to NZ for a year.. all were happy for us but most were jealous(and openly admitted this) because they were so tied down and could not do the same..

Plus.. the fact that they lifestyle is so much more relaxed and healthier in these countries.. we may ward off depression due to the above mentioned factors for another few years and enjoy life!...

Plus i beleve the kiwi's have a ''work to live' attitude and not the 'live to work' attitude that so many people have here.. not only that but they are not obsessed with fancy tv's,cars and gadgets. We have friends who live basically from hand to mouth but have the house full of flat screen tv's, gadgets and the best cars outside. Life should not be about keeping up appearances especially when they are up to their eyeballs in debt to do so!..and i tell you there are many people out there doing the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

cos they are English speaking countries and require little or no learning to adapt to life there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Different strokes for different folks....i've met loads of people that fit into either the traveller or the home bird catagory, i've met people travelling that are horribly boring and people living at home for ever with mortages/new cars that are very interesting. Its your life live it whatever way you wish. Both ways of life have their advantages and pitfalls and I dont think bad of anyone for wanting to be happy. :)

I'm just thankfull I'm part of the small percentage of people on this planet that can afford to actually travel, eat and clothe myself.

The only things in New Zealand that are very British are Christchurch and Dunedin city centres and the fact people speak english and drive on the left. Because so many different types of immigrants from so many parts of the world built New Zealand from the ground up, all those cultures remain strong. Auckland is very polynesian/asian/american, Wellington feels quite Maori/European to me and the south island cities quite european.

The scenery cannot be matched by anywhere else in the world imo :) Kayaking in gorgeous crystal clear waters or the abel tasman park one day, climbing a glacier the next, looking over mountain ranges skiing another day and relaxing in a winery the next...its an incredible mix of scenery and culture, well worth checking out.

I sure as hell dont' miss the M50 or Coolmine train station :)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

The reason I came out here initially was to experience something different and had heard from many others that it is worth travelling/working in Australia/NZ for a year or so. I found a job and got sponsored and have been here since and have no intention of going home in the near future.

I went home at Christmas and was disgusted at how materialistic some of my friends and family had become, it has really gotten worse in the last 4/5 years. An example of this was when I asked a close friend of mine "Would you ever go down under for a year" and the reply I got was "ah sure I have a jeep now and everything". I do realise that different people have different priorities but when you're young is the time to see the world and what it has to offer.

You are only young once for feck sake! Get out and see the world!

irish_bob wrote: »
    spoken like a true 21st century middle class irish kid

Less of the 'kid' thanks.

I got up off my arse and decided to do things for myself on the other side of the world rather than live at home til I'm 27 before finally sponging off mummy and daddy for a mortgage. And it's worked out better than if I had tried it at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

What interesting people? I've been all over SE Asia and Australia and New Zealand and I've never come across such a group of conformist bores as backpackers.

latenia wrote: »
    What interesting people? I've been all over SE Asia and Australia and New Zealand and I've never come across such a group of conformist bores as backpackers.

please explain your sweeping generalisation, conform to what exactly?

http://blogs.smh.com.au/travel/archives/2008/07/travel_****.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I'd move to Australia if all my family, friends,cats, dogs and just general life moved there.

my mum lived in melbourne and hated it.

dont think ill be going there anytime soon.

as far as im concerned i can do the same things here as anywhere else...tennis, swimming in the beach, football..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Why do people from OZ and NZ always go for a year away in Ireland/UK? It's the same thing. Have you asked any of them?

I'm presuming people go to gain some new experiences and because you can work in a completely different part of the world and take holidays in another part of the world e.g. go to Fiji instead of going to Lanzarote for two weeks.
    Most Australians I have met in hostels on the continent stay indoors watching films most of the time. I was not impressed.

Australia isn't a completely different part of the world, except georgraphically. I don't understand why people go to Lanzarote to lie on the beach, and I don't understand why people would go to Fiji to do the same, and I don't understand why, given these, one would be any more interesting than the other.

Culturally, Australia is part of the white capitalist Anglosphere - doesn't sound like much of a culture shock to me.
    Have you lived in oz or NZ? Why do you think they are exactly the same as Europe? From my experience, they're not as hugely different as somewhere like South America is to Ireland but it's sufficiently different as to give me a different work environment and experiences.
    No I've never been there, nor do I thinkk they're exactly the same as Europe. But I expect there is a greater cultural difference between Ireland and Spain or Slovenia (and I don't mean the beach resorts) than between Ireland and Australia.
    Plus I've travelled and seen different parts of the world. That in itself is worth it.
    You can do that anywhere, in Ireland, other European countries, etc... doesn't seem like much of a reason to choose Australia in particular.
    There's nothing worse than insulated people who have no interest in leaving Ireland.
    Why? Murderers are worse. Elitists are worse. Ignorant people are worse for assuming that Ireland has nothing to offer those of us seeking interesting experiences.
    kittex wrote: »
    There are 2 types of people in this scenario.
    That's where you're completely wrong. I value experience greatly. I am just considering that so many of these people who go to the other side of the world will never bother to go and see and do some of the amazing things that are to be found relatively near home, because they assume they are not there. It is not being open-minded; it's succumbing to the most ignorant motive for tourism: the idea that the place where you live is boring and the places where other people live are more interesting.
    hussey wrote: »
    have a read of Down Under by bill bryson.

Also can you name anywhere in Britain that comes close to
    Uluru
    Cape tribulation (the only place in the world where a rainforest and a tropical reef meet)
    Blue Mountains
    Fraser island
    Whitsunday islands
    These are natural wonders. As Australia is a continent, a fair comparison would be to compare it with all of Europe, not just one island.
    Xavi6 wrote: »

While I neither fit into nor aspire to your little stereotype, I would hate to be as elitist as you!

If you think there's nothing exciting in Ireland, I would suppose that you know very little about Ireland.

I'm not slagging travel in general in my thread here. I'm just trying to unravel why people choose Australia in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

I'd move to Australia if all my family, friends,cats, dogs and just general life moved there.

my mum lived in melbourne and hated it.

dont think ill be going there anytime soon.

as far as im concerned i can do the same things here as anywhere else...tennis, swimming in the beach, football..

Fair play, mammy knows best.

While I neither fit into nor aspire to your little stereotype, I would hate to be as elitist as you!

I'm not being elitist, you asked why people are over here and I told you why I'm here. I can only speak from my experiences and I do know people who are quite content to rest on their laurels in Ireland doing the same thing day to day with only a two week annual holiday in *insert generic summer destination here* to look forward to. I find it mind boggling in the same way others find what I'm doing baffling. Different strokes and all that.
    If you think there's nothing exciting in Ireland, I would suppose that you know very little about Ireland.

Ireland is home and always will be. It is a beautiful country in its own right with many positives and I can see why it is such a popular tourist destination. However, after 21 years in Dublin I was, quite frankly, bored of the place. I fancied a change and I've got it and I'm happy. I will go back, whether in five, ten or whatever amount of years. But right now it holds zero appeal to me apart from family and friends.
    I'm not slagging travel in general in my thread here. I'm just trying to unravel why people choose Australia in particular.

And I hope I'm able to give you an incite into my own personal situation :)

Most Australians I have met in hostels on the continent stay indoors watching films most of the time. I was not impressed.

Neither would I be, most of them I have meet are nothing like this.
    Culturally, Australia is part of the white capitalist Anglosphere - doesn't sound like much of a culture shock to me.
    live out in NT and see how different it is.

No I've never been there, nor do I thinkk they're exactly the same as Europe. But I expect there is a greater cultural difference between Ireland and Spain or Slovenia (and I don't mean the beach resorts) than between Ireland and Australia.
    Yes agreed, I think people get mixed up with culture, history and lifestyle.
    These are natural wonders. As Australia is a continent, a fair comparison would be to compare it with all of Europe, not just one island.
    The OP compared Australia to Britain.

I don't think anyone is attacking Ireland as such, people come to Australia to experience a different lifestyle, it is also easy to get a Visa and has plenty of jobs, it is not a culture shock, and people speak English.
    There is plenty of see and do, each part of Australia is unique.

I think what it comes down to is a personal choice. Op, you're happy to stay in Ireland, other people are not and want to live in NZ/Aus. What's the big deal? How does it affect you? Also, you're asking in the wrong forum, tbh seeming as most people here have made the move. You just want us to give our (sometimes very personal) reasons for coming here so you can tell us they're wrong.

Why don't we all do what makes us happy and go wherever the hell we want?

For the record, I'm not an irish backpacker doing my year abroad. I live and work in NZ. My OH is a kiwi, all our friends are kiws and I work in a company with mostly kiwis. I feel I am gaining valuable experience by living abroad. Note how I said living abroad - not backpacking or travelling.

I'm only in New Zealand because that's where my boyfriend is from. If he was from anywhere else I'd probably be there. However, I'm glad he's from NZ because it's given me an opportunity to properly experience living here.

If he was from anywhere else I'd probably be there.

Lucky he isn't from Cork wha???? ;)

Ah I may live in Aus, but still a dub at heart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

hussey wrote: »
    Lucky he isn't from Cork wha???? ;)

Or Geelong!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Lots of people whio dismiss Australia asbeing nodifferent to home have only really experienced life in Sydney or Melbourne or done a few of the Tourist traps on the East coast, Airlie Beach, Fraser Island, Whale Watching, Byron Bay.

if that was your only experience of Australia then the whole experience may ring a bit hollow, however if you actually go out beyond the Black Stump and intothe Real outback, stay in a few of the small towns, work in some of the more remote areas etc thats where you will see things that will alter your view of the universe

• Advertisement

Lots of people whio dismiss Australia asbeing nodifferent to home have only really experienced life in Sydney or Melbourne or done a few of the Tourist traps on the East coast, Airlie Beach, Fraser Island, Whale Watching, Byron Bay.

if that was your only experience of Australia then the whole experience may ring a bit hollow, however if you actually go out beyond the Black Stump and intothe Real outback, stay in a few of the small towns, work in some of the more remote areas etc thats where you will see things that will alter your view of the universe

Well, the OP has never been to any part of NZ or Australia so if dismissing it without experiencing any of it.

Advertisement