Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Story behind 2 houses?

• 28-08-2008 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Two houses spring to mind when I was growing up, that were abandoned and titled as "haunted houses". the first one was up the grace dieu road up the back of hillview. It was an abandoned house, with a farm and barn. It was up past a large field, across from the Frisby's house. Does anybody know what actually happened that? Why was it abandoned? I remember when I first saw it when I was a child, it wasn't in too bad of shape, but over the years it was falling apart. I'm not even sure if it's still there? Haven't been up that way in years.

The second one is what could only be described as a mansion. It was also based near a farm. It is the road behind the one that leads to the house opposite the frisbys. It is a huge house, and there are old ruins of houses near it. There is still an operable farm next to it, with a barn for animals and such. It's if you go straight by the turn for Cody's pond instead of turning right to Cody's pond. It's at the end of the road, over a gate.

Anyone with any info on the above two houses? I've always been curious as to why to lovely houses were abandoned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

Was one of the houses your talking about Georgian in style? and two storeys tall ? If thats the one you mean it was once owned by the Kearney family. Their is a photograph of it in a book by Michelle o' Neill its called "Reminiscences of Waterford ". Its in the City Library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Erm not sure - I drove past the two story one the other night (bored off my trolley). Looks like someone bought it and fully restored it. It looked lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭suirfire

Hi dlofnep, the first house you talked about was bought by a well know local business man and he restored it and belive me from someone who grew up around that house there was something not right about it they second is still standing on the farm yard but that land was sold for redevolpment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

I have a mental image of two houses near the gaelscoil. They the ones you're talking about? One has boarded up windows and slates on it and the derelict farm is close to it?...I'm probably way off but I know some people thought the Priests one was but it just fell into complications withthe will or something.

Actually what building was freaky but I loved was the infermary up by john's hill? I always hoped it was haunted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭suirfire

hi elle your just a bit out the two houses are a bit futher out de road wouldnt live in the infirmary if you payed me:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

In the gibbet hill/logloss direction? I probably know the ones you're on about actually I just remember tat other house being "haunted".

Yeah I wouldn't like it either to behonest but I know a few living there. Still....I'm a wee bit wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

The house with the slates on it was once lived in by Bishop Hussey in the 18th century (thats what it says on the plaque on the house!) I asked the conservation officer (or should that be conversation officer! as their all talk no action!) in the city council what was going on that it was blocked up, they said it was going to be restored ! still waiting for that years later!.

Advertisement