Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple iPhone advertisement banned over misleading internet claims

• 28-08-2008 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

With all its hype a new Apple iPhone add was banned over misleading internet claims. Link shows add that was banned, apparently this phone dose not support flash or Java and the add suggests that the I Phone covers all aspects of the Internet.

I like to hear stuff like this, nothing worse than getting something that dosn't do what it is supposed to do. People here are alsp pi^^ed off enough with O2 & Apple for offloading the first generation model in Ireland at such a high price so close to the introduction of the 3G model.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/aug/27/apple.apple

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Been talked about already in the iPhone Superthread!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

While I agree that it is a little misleading, anyone who spends hundreds of euros on a phone and enters themselves into a 2 year contract based on an ad and doesn't do any research really needs to get their head checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

While I agree that it is a little misleading, anyone who spends hundreds of euros on a phone and enters themselves into a 2 year contract based on an ad and doesn't do any research really needs to get their head checked.
    Surely under the sale of goods act the "contract" is not worth the paper its written on if something is purchased and it is not up tio what it is made out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Video is currently unavailable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

With all its hype a new Apple iPhone add was banned over misleading internet claims. Link shows add that was banned, apparently this phone dose not support flash or Java and the add suggests that the I Phone covers all aspects of the Internet.

This was a well known fact of the iPhone. Anybody who did the slightest bit of research into it should know this. If someone bought the phone, and didn't know this IMO its there own fault. Especially regarding the flash side of things, it was a major complaint against the original iphone and still is.

In fairness though the ad is wrong in stating

"You never know which part of the internet you'll need ... which is why all the parts of the internet are on the iPhone," ran a voiceover

and it has been pulled because of that. The ad is misleading but if people where shelling out all this money on a gadget and not doing the slightest bit of research well then thats there own fault.

I like to hear stuff like this, nothing worse than getting something that dosn't do what it is supposed to do. People here are alsp pi^^ed off enough with O2 & Apple for offloading the first generation model in Ireland at such a high price so close to the introduction of the 3G model.

Again it was a well known fact/rumor that a 3G iPhone was going to be brought out. It was even mentioned at the launch of the original iPhone that Apple would be looking into 3G technology. Apple also regularly update there product lines about once a year either improving the spec of the machines, or a refresh of the product line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Im glad I chose the Nokia N95. It dose everything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Im glad I chose the Nokia N95. It dose everything :D

except fix your spelling :eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Rob_l wrote: »
    except fix your spelling :eek::D
    He didn't post Via a Mobile Device so not the N95's fault:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

kmart6 wrote: »
    He didn't post Via a Mobile Device so not the N95's fault:P

If he had the iPhone he would have posted by a mobile device because it does everything the internet does or something like that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Surely under the sale of goods act the "contract" is not worth the paper its written on if something is purchased and it is not up tio what it is made out to be.
    Possibly I'm not really all that up to date with consumer law. Just saying if you're gonna spend €100's on a phone an be locked into a 2 year contract that will cost you a lot more you should at least research the product and contract a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

How many sites are 100% flash/java without non-flash/java versions? Would be curious to know that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Excellent news. Should take them apple fanboys down a peg or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

chrislad wrote: »
    How many sites are 100% flash/java without non-flash/java versions? Would be curious to know that.

they may have non flash/java versions but if you can't access the flash/java versions then you can't access the whoel internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Possibly I'm not really all that up to date with consumer law. Just saying if you're gonna spend €100's on a phone an be locked into a 2 year contract that will cost you a lot more you should at least research the product and contract a little.

I think under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act of 1980 that the contract could be void. But then again is the contract with o2 for the provision of their mobile telephone service and not the iPhone itself? They may give you a refund for the phone but would you still be tied to the contract?

Advertisement