Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Fortress 2 Voice chat stutter

Options
  • 28-08-2008 5:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

I am using a Netgear WG614v9 router and the Scientific Atlanta Cable modem with the 10mb chorus connection. No matter what the voice quality will be unerable, there is a stutter every fraction of a second that makes it sound terrible. I often get pings of over 100 too which makes no sense. I'm not paying for a fast connection to get it to perform this poorly.

Does anybody know what could be going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

Getting pings of over 400. This is ****ing ridiculous.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You are paying for fast download speed. You are not paying for fast ping times.

windows + r -> cmd -> ping boards.ie

What do you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

poor comment jm!!!!!!

broadband isnt only about download speeds
    if it was why have alot of eircom customers downgraded purely for the ping times
    hes already said hes pinging 400

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

nuxxx wrote: »
    poor comment jm!!!!!!

broadband isnt only about download speeds
    if it was why have alot of eircom customers downgraded purely for the ping times
    I'm saying that from a T&C point of view. It makes the world of difference to a connection. But you dont buy 20ms or 40ms broadband, you buy 2Mbps and 8Mbps broadband.
    hes already said hes pinging 400
    He never stated if that was to the tf2 server or to an irish website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I'm saying that from a T&C point of view. It makes the world of difference to a connection. But you dont buy 20ms or 40ms broadband, you buy 2Mbps and 8Mbps broadband.

He never stated if that was to the tf2 server or to an irish website.

voip , ts2, ventrilo are all ping dependent and are a standard use on any dsl/cable home connection and should work well!
    Not only that but ping affects alot of other things too of course especially if its 100+

• Advertisement

voip , ts2, ventrilo are all ping dependent and are a standard use on any dsl/cable home connection and should work well!
    Not only that but ping affects alot of other things too of course especially if its 100+
    It makes the world of difference to a connection.

I was agreeing with you :)

It was a UK server I was connecting to. TF2 is completely unplayable for me as of today.

It was a UK server I was connecting to. TF2 is completely unplayable for me as of today.
    What is your ping to boards?

What is your ping to boards?

Average of about 20ms. It shouldn't really be going over 60 to a UK server

Average of about 20ms. It shouldn't really be going over 60 to a UK server
    Grand. Interleaving is not your problem then. The problem is with the way your isp is routing packets to the uk.

Whats the ip of the server and ill ping it and see is it as bad for me.

• Advertisement

I'm getting terrible pings on US servers, over 120. they shouldn't be that high.

It's multiplay.co.uk I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I'm getting terrible pings on US servers, over 120. they shouldn't be that high.

It's multiplay.co.uk I believe.

US ??? Did you mean UK ???

I play on US servers frequently enough and you will easily go above 200ms.

But yeah I play CoD4 and BF and use Ventrilo ALOT and have noticed shocking ping times over the last few days. Although it only really seems to be in a 2-3 hour period.

314763204.png

315209360.png

315210613.png

315211236.png

Advertisement