Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedplay Pedals, pros & cons ?

Options
  • 28-08-2008 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

New bike arriving finally tomorrow, a big 'Thanks' to all here who gave some really great advice ! The last piece of piece of the puzzle is the pedals, and after scouring the web, the Speedplays seem to come highly recommended, despite their strange looks. Anyone here using them ? I promise I'll shut up for a while after this.. ; > )

Cheers,

Murph

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I've never used them but I like the double sided entry. They are quite pricey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Yup same here, the double sided entry sounds pretty good, but some reviews say the lack of spring loaded self centering can feel a bit like ice skating, hence my concern, being a crap ice skater and all ....

Murph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Speedplay pedals have been criticised by bike fit guru Steve Hogg because their standard cleats cannot be positioned sufficiently far back to get the ball of foot ahead of the pedal axle (Steve advocates this to unload the calf muscles and Achilles tendon). There are alternative cleats available that do permit a more rearward set up but these apparently have to be specially ordered and are not usually stocked by retailers.

Cheers Cantalach,

An interesting point, I've also just seen from roadbikereview that its definitely a love 'em or loathe 'em affair with the Speedplays, and a lot of problems with entry and longevity, maybe I'll stick with my first choice Time RSX carbons.

Anyone care to defend Speedplay ?

Murph

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

cantalach wrote: »
    Speedplay pedals have been criticised by bike fit guru Steve Hogg because their standard cleats cannot be positioned sufficiently far back to get the ball of foot ahead of the pedal axle (Steve advocates this to unload the calf muscles and Achilles tendon). There are alternative cleats available that do permit a more rearward set up but these apparently have to be specially ordered and are not usually stocked by retailers.

Mid foot cleat placement is very difficult on most shoes with any pedal system though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

tunney wrote: »
    Mid foot cleat placement is very difficult on most shoes with any pedal system though

It's all relative though, and some pedal/cleat/shoe combinations are (in Steve Hogg's considered opinion) better than others at achieving a mid-foot placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

They were good enough for carlos sastre in the tour.

One of my club mates is a physio and he swears by speedplay pedals

An up side is that you dont need to buy cleats again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Mr HM uses them but he's a crap cyclist :P He got them because he was having knee issues with the keo's and it did solve the knee problem.

Hmmmmmm guess it will have to boil down to whats in stock, that great old decider :)

Cheers,

Murph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭BaBiT

I've been using speedplay light actions for about the last 12 months and I've found them really good..Have two sets now, got them for a Trek 1000 I had and then got another set put on my Tarmac Pro when I bought it...I find them easy for entry and exit and the double sided entry makes them easy to snap into...If you're a sprinter there may be a bit too much float (the amount your foot can move without disengaging) but I can say on the flat or climbing they are perfect..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

@Murph - there's quite a lengthy review of speedplays in a cycling magazine I was reading last month, pros, cons, etc. (can't for the life of me remember which one :o). Still have it in work, so will post tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

SetOverSet wrote: »
    @Murph - there's quite a lengthy review of speedplays in a cycling magazine I was reading last month, pros, cons, etc. (can't for the life of me remember which one :o). Still have it in work, so will post tomorrow...

*Edit* pasted the review from an email but it came out all garbled :(:(

Advertisement