Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restrict pc access for children

• 28-08-2008 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi All,

My brother has a new Win XP pc and he wants to restrict access on it for his children so that they don't cause any problems.

He as 4 children 12, 11, 6 & 5.

Can you please advise what options are out there to protect them while on the internet (11 & 12 year olds, younger children will not be allowed use the internet) and also restrict general access to the pc e.g. start menu, control panel etc

Any advice on how I could set this up or software available to do this would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks in advance

P.S. I have viewed user profiles but they don't go far enough where security for children is concerned

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What type router does he have as most good one's allow access restriction based on time/IP address.

http://www.google.ie/search?q=Restrict+pc+access+for+children&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

install naomi free prog blocks adult websites, make password sumthing like, cvj731kl, otherwise they might guess it.JUST google naomi download.
    if you use opendns ,i think that blocks adult websites.
    dont allow them them to open a youtube account, as there is 18+ videos there too.
    you can also buy a program like netnanny.naoimi blocks some ordinary websites,like health medical,info, so you input password to knock it off,while adult uses the pc. on reboot ,it should be re enabled ,i think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

[edit] see PogMoThoin's post for opendns [/edit]

setup an ordinary account so they can't install programs or change settings

the best way is to make sure you can see what they are doing, leaving the pc up in the bedroom is just asking for trouble especially when the friends come around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭tech

bluecoat K9 is your man for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

get a static IP from your ISP and register with www.opendns.org to get sites blocked - won't work without a static IP IIRC

I'm doin it with a dynamic ip :D

http://www.opendns.com/support/dynamic_ip_tech/

Most ISP's charge shítloads for a static ip

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Thanks nice to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

If he doesn't know how to set this up, he should realise that it'll take the kids about 20 seconds to get around these.

The correct approach is to educate the kids: they should understand never to give out personal information, etc. And then he has to trust them.

bpmurray wrote: »
    If he doesn't know how to set this up, he should realise that it'll take the kids about 20 seconds to get around these.

The correct approach is to educate the kids: they should understand never to give out personal information, etc. And then he has to trust them.

Well then, how do you get round having opendns blocking adult content at dns level? Remember anonymisers and proxys are also blocked. And you say you can do it in 20mins :D My dynamic ip updater isn't even on the kids pc, its on the network and they don't have access to the modem to change dns.

There are loads of things out there that need blocking, like the one going round last yr with the girls and a cup. 2 yrs ago my son googled "fat arses" for fun, just lucky i was there to close the browser. Educate them, yes, but its not enough.

More info on opendns adult content filtering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

tech wrote: »
    bluecoat K9 is your man for the job.

Thanks tech, couldn't think of the name of that one the other day, sister had it on her pc for her children's use but it just slipped my mind at the time.

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

where does he keep the computer? The living room or kitchen area is the best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Overheal wrote: »
    where does he keep the computer? The living room or kitchen area is the best.

I'd agree, keeping it in bedrooms is only asking for trouble...

As much as having a PC in the living room would have pissed me off as a kid I'd have it in a family room for my kids,

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Slipper1

Hi Guys,

The router he will be using is an Eircom standard router (Netopia WiFi
    router).

The computer will be based in his bedroom and not the children’s.

However, it’s just not possible to watch them all the time so a combination of good pc security and educating the children about safety on the internet will be the best approach as you guys have advised.

Thanks for all help.

Slipper1 wrote: »

However, it’s just not possible to watch them all the time so a combination of good pc security and educating the children about safety on the internet will be the best approach as you guys have advised.

yeah, even in the parents bedroom, that never stopped me as a kid. youve been warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Overheal wrote: »
    yeah, even in the parents bedroom, that never stopped me as a kid. youve been warned.

In your mothers bedroom. You need a role model

stepmothers ;)

Slipper1 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

The router he will be using is an Eircom standard router (Netopia WiFi
    router).

Thanks for all help.

How often would you check on them in a bedroom? Not a great idea to have it in a bedroom, even if its your bedroom. Your right in saying it’s just not possible to watch them all the time. The kitchen is where I've got my kids pc, there's very little they can get up to there as there's always the risk of someone walking in unexpected which is whats needed.

Advertisement