Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runnng javascript without opening a page!

Options
  • 28-08-2008 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hi,
    Here is my problem, hopefully someone can help :)

Using google analytics, I'm trying to track sales and the sales path across an asp website. page1 -> page2 ->order page -> payment/confirmation
    Google analytics code is running on the site for about 2 years.

The problem is that to track the final sale, I obviously need to have the analytics code on the last payment page, the difficulty is that this page is securely hosted through realex and they do not allow any external javascript to be used, so I have no way to send the required info to google.

When the transaction completes on realex, they send info back to my site which I process -> update the database, confirm the order etc based on what realex return. A html email receipt is also generated and emailed to the customer.

My problem is, how can I run the google analytics code?
    I can't host it on realex.
    Is there a way to run it locally (windows SBS server 2003) when I get communication back from realex?
    Javascript has to run through a web browser - I've tried just running it as part of my final asp script but it doesn't work.

Just thinking now....
    Could I start a command line process locally to automatically open up a local webpage with the correct code in it? Would that work? and if so would that differentiate between the different products as the code would be running on the same local page each time?

I hope I've explained that clearly!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

There are two ways of dealing with realex.

The first is the remotly hosted solution (That you are using now, thats where they host the payment and confirmation pages).

The second is directly using their API. How this works is you host the payment page, the submit payment page send off some XML to realex and realex sends you back a response saying if it's valid or not. This is generally my prefered method of dealing with them, and this method would allow you to do what you want.

If you give someone there a ring they will send you out a copy of their very comprehensive developer documentation, which includes code examples in lots of different languages on how to access their service using XML.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dkell

Why don't you track visits to a landing/confirmation page the user sees when they complete the Realex transaction? If the only way they can get to that page is after they complete a transaction, you are tracking the completed sales...

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

oeb wrote: »
    There are two ways of dealing with realex.

The first is the remotly hosted solution (That you are using now, thats where they host the payment and confirmation pages).

The second is directly using their API. How this works is you host the payment page, the submit payment page send off some XML to realex and realex sends you back a response saying if it's valid or not. This is generally my prefered method of dealing with them, and this method would allow you to do what you want.

If you give someone there a ring they will send you out a copy of their very comprehensive developer documentation, which includes code examples in lots of different languages on how to access their service using XML.
    Thanks, yes. I have all this documentation and I am aware of this solution

This is not an option the company wants to persue for a variety of reason.
    Basically the responsibility of maintaining a secure server in an unsecure location along with certificate costs and management

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

dkell wrote: »
    Why don't you track visits to a landing/confirmation page the user sees when they complete the Realex transaction? If the only way they can get to that page is after they complete a transaction, you are tracking the completed sales...

Yes, I have something link that before. The only way would be to put a link on the confirmation page and asking the user to follow it(I can't do anything dynamic or redirect once complete) . It wasn't very successful as once they had finished their transaction and gotten their receipt, they weren't bothered! :D

Thanks

Advertisement