Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personanlised santa letters

Options
  • 28-08-2008 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi Looking for advice on this one maybe a bit of feed back. last year I start writing santa letters for some of the kids I know there parents feedback was great but I was thinking maybe this year I could start charging I know there does be a lot of companies doings this but I make the letters a little bit more personal, I get their parents to tell me what they have achived in school ie won a football match , got a medal for dancing and so on and what they want for christmas and I also mention their brothers and sisters names to make it seem real.
    The envelops even have a north pole stamp on it and the dated the letter was sent.

would any of you pay for this for your children ? I'm looking for freed back.

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I'm confused...is this letters FROM santa TO the kids you write?
    Can't say I ever heard of that before. Sounds like some newly made up "tradition" in order to make money (is there a hallmark card for this yet?)...oh hang on thats what you are trying to do also :)

And why can't parents do it themselves. If they have the time to tell you all the details needed, then they could do it themselves surely?

Sorry for being negative (and maybe I am missing something here) but I can't see why anyone would pay for this or how you would make money out of it.
    I applaud your enterprising spirit but this sounds like a non-runner to me, maybe others think differently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

This sounds like something that some parents would pay for. Not me though, or Ludo by the sounds of it.
    What were you hoping to charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rhondadunphy

Ludo,maybe if you had kids or may be you do! have you ever seen the look and their little faces when they think that santa as wrote to them, I know from the kids I've wrote letters for in the past have been delighted and it makes it a little bit special. :)

Ludo,maybe if you had kids or may be you do! have you ever seen the look and their little faces when they think that santa as wrote to them, I know from the kids I've wrote letters for in the past have been delighted and it makes it a little bit special. :)

erm...yes I have kids...too young for santa though yet. I wasn't saying that getting a letter from Santa was a bad thing. Just that, to me, it is something parents could do quite easily and quickly themselves without having to pay someone to do it and as you say they can make it personal rather than a generic "I received your christmas list" type effort.

I fully understand how this would work for friends and family as you did last year and that is a great idea as you are writing to people you already know about. But to write to people you don't know, the parents would have to tell you what to write and the time taken to do that could be used to write it themselves which would be much more rewarding for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Mine email santa and get replies.

• Advertisement

LOL...Santa gone all high tech!
    Were all the elves been laid off I wonder and their jobs outsourced?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Mine email santa and get replies.

That's right. I did that last year too, there's a couple of great websites for that. One you can track where he is on the day! Great for 9 year olds with any doubts.

There are companies who do the santa letters thing. Charge about €5 up.
    There is also the free An Post option!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

I have been doing my own Santa letters to my kids and my nieces and nephews for the last 3/4 yeras.
    They are all so excited when they all get their letters on the same day...
    Ah the innocenece of youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I can see why parents may want someone else to write the letter: if the child is about 8 or 9 they might be able to recognise their parents handwriting and phrasing, so when the child sees this letter from a completely unrecognisable writing style they will be more likely to go "wow!" rather than "wow... wait this writing looks kinda familiar".

Sounds like something that could kick off, but I would personally rather like to see it kept as personal as possible, so get an aunt or uncle to write the letter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

i can understand the appeal of getting one that had a north pole stamp and all, but i dont think i would ever pay for one to be honest. Now if you could make one magically appear infront of there eyes that would be worth paying for:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I wouldn't pay for this. I've always done this myself on PC when mine were "innocent" and I normally do it for my mindees.

I designed colourful ones with the help of clip art and just printed them off. No handwriting issues to worry about. The children loved them.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

Hi Looking for advice on this one maybe a bit of feed back. last year I start writing santa letters for some of the kids I know there parents feedback was great but I was thinking maybe this year I could start charging I know there does be a lot of companies doings this but I make the letters a little bit more personal, I get their parents to tell me what they have achived in school ie won a football match , got a medal for dancing and so on and what they want for christmas and I also mention their brothers and sisters names to make it seem real.
    The envelops even have a north pole stamp on it and the dated the letter was sent.

would any of you pay for this for your children ? I'm looking for freed back.

thank you

in the time it'd take to give you the details of brothers/sisters, achievements, etc I'd have the letter typed up and fancy pictures put in myself for free. by the way you've got loads of typing mistakes here - don't think i'd buy from site advertising this kind of thing with mistakes in its advert

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

There lots and lots of options online for free for this. Some of the templates are really great.

I dont think it would take off tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eyeofthetiger

I think there was a text service to do this last year. As far as I remember you had to send in the child's name, age and address to a number and they send it out. I think it cost 2 euro for the service. I didn't see the actual letters though so I can't really comment on that part, someone I know did it for her niece and nephew though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 red2

Hi all,
    We have to look at this from the childrens point of view and not ours.We all know how excited children are with even the slightest mention of the word SANTA.I think it is a very good idea but of course there will be people who would not consider buying the letters as they would prefer to do themselves etc..My advice is , why not advertise and hand in a few flyers to local shops,playschools,mum groups etc.. and wait and see what the reaction is from people.Personally , I make up my own letters for my children.All I will say is "GO FOR IT AND GOOD LUCK"!,

Advertisement