Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cook now - eat later?

• 28-08-2008 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for ideas for meals that can be prepared the day before and then simply reheated the next day.

I don't have a freezer so unfortunately it has to be stuff that will keep in the fridge for a day or two.

I already have a few mince staples such as lasagne, bolognese, chilli etc, but nothing chickeny as I'm unsure about the safety aspect of it. Are chicken based things OK to cook and eat a few days later?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Of course! Just reheat properly or eat cold, depending on the dish.

Keep covered in the fridge with cling-film too to prevent drying out and to preserve.

Chicken curry is an obvious one I guess as is just a simple stir fry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

stews like boeuf bourguignon are brilliant for this too as you get an extra day or 2 of soaking time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Any soups or stews always taste better the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I often do a pasta sauce which is tomato based then flavoured with whatever is at hand... olives, chorizo or other sausage, or other veg (red pepper, aubergine etc) which will keep for a few days in the fridge and makes afor a very tasty and quick dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I already have a few mince staples such as lasagne, bolognese, chilli etc, but nothing chickeny as I'm unsure about the safety aspect of it. Are chicken based things OK to cook and eat a few days later?

I find that cooked foods are good for two days if only reheated once, so cook, cool and put in the fridge, but only reheat what you need the next day - not the whole dish.

Chicken should be fine is well cooked in the first place - try chicken chasseur, chicken curry, coq au vin, chicken savoyarde. Marinated chicken dishes are also good for preparing the night before - just bang in the oven for an hour the next day - so vietnamese lemongrass chicken.

• Advertisement
Advertisement