Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three sim cards and 2G phones question?

• 28-08-2008 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭

I've just put my 3 sim card in a nokia 5140i (going to ep, would destroy my normal phone)
    5140i.jpg

I've got full signal and can make and recieve calls, just wondering have 3 done something to allow their sims to work in any phone, I guess i'm picking up a vodafone 2G signal, how would the reception be if it's only picking up vodafone.....are all there 2G masts still active?

thanks
    dm

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I've just put my 3 sim card in a nokia 5140i (going to ep, would destroy my normal phone)

I've got full signal and can make and recieve calls, just wondering have 3 done something to allow their sims to work in any phone, I guess i'm picking up a vodafone 2G signal, how would the reception be if it's only picking up vodafone.....are all there 2G masts still active?

thanks
    dm
    Yup. You roam on voda. Yes all of voda's 2G masts are still active, but im not sure if all are available to you as a 3 customer. 3 may have marked out certain cells as having poor coverage and only allow roaming there. I'm not sure how the evil network works ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Yup. You roam on voda. Yes all of voda's 2G masts are still active, but im not sure if all are available to you as a 3 customer. 3 may have marked out certain cells as having poor coverage and only allow roaming there. I'm not sure how the evil network works ;)

I can lock onto vodafone 2G when ever I'm stuck...the area dosen't seem to matter....
    Pretty amazed the sim is working in such an old phone, I've failed to get it working in any other 2G phone, usully get sim invalid kinda error......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Roaming has been turned off in some areas. As for the phone working that just seems to be totally random

Walkman wrote: »
    Roaming has been turned off in some areas.

so that's the problem i'm having....why would they be so stupid to turn off roaming in some areas.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

so that's the problem i'm having....why would they be so stupid to turn off roaming in some areas.....

because they have to pay for roaming on vodafone so they turn off roaming wherever they have full coverage themselves, since they only sell 3g phones and all

• Advertisement

pretty impressed with coverage so far.....haven't dropped a call all morning and i've been all over the countryside.....

I'm guessing they only turn off roaming in the Citys?

Sam might be the only one to answer this.....I doubt 3 tech support can:D

Can I get the web working on this phone...I've tried all different settings and none of them work...I keep getting the "Subscibe to packet data first" error...

Is it possible?

here's the 3 settings just in case you might be going rooting for them...

3 WEB
    connection name:3
    data bearer: packet data
    APN: 3ireland.ie
    username: none
    prompt password:no
    password: none
    authentication:normal
    homepage:http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/HutchKey/
    network type:IPv4
    phone IP address:automatic
    name servers (DNS): automatic
    proxy address:none
    proxy port:0

3 MMS
    connection name:3MMS
    data bearer: packet data
    APN: 3ireland.ie
    username: none
    prompt password:no
    password: none
    authentication:normal
    homepage:http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc/
    network type:IPv4
    phone IP address:automatic
    name servers (DNS): automatic
    proxy address:mms.3ireland.ie
    proxy port:8799

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭grey squirrel

Sam might be the only one to answer this.....I doubt 3 tech support can:D

Can I get the web working on this phone...I've tried all different settings and none of them work...I keep getting the "Subscibe to packet data first" error...

Is it possible?

no

EDIT: actually yes on a Nokia 6230i
    3 wrote:
    You are now outside the video servic area. These services are available:
    Games
    Pix
    Puzzle Games
    My3
    heatworld

i wouldn't be so hasty to say no. first make sure you have the right settings:

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings->add->web

account name: 3
    homepage:http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/HutchKey (the capital H and K are necessary)
    username:blank
    password:blank
    use preferred access point:yes

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings->add->access point

account name: 3 apn
    go into access point settings
    data bearer:gprs
    go into bearer settings
    GPRS access point:3ireland.ie
    authentication type:normal
    username:none
    password:none

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings

highlight 3 and press options->activate
    then do the same for 3 apn

give that a shot and see what happens

edit: sam to the rescue o/ :D

Sam Vimes wrote: »

give that a shot and see what happens

edit: sam to the rescue o/ :D

Nice one Sam, it worked!! All praise to the man!!

google.com tells me I have a virus and to try again sometime:D...at the very least I have a new game, try and find a website :D

• Advertisement

good to hear it :)

i think google is telling you you have a virus because of the whole ip address sharing thing. Someone else on 3 has a virus so google thinks you do. Nothing you can do about it... Except leave 3 :p

Advertisement