Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling article in the Irish Times

Options
  • 28-08-2008 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

A reasonable article that takes a fairly neutral stance on helmets and bike safety
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0828/1219680139697.html

DCC come across well, apart from their slightly odd focus on girls uniforms
    The Dublin Cycle Campaign (DCC), in a submission to the Department of Transport's national cycle policy last December, said: "Girls-only schools all have a uniform policy that requires the wearing of skirts and this is the main reason why girls do not cycle. So, policy change required straight away there. The Department of Education will have to deal with a change in uniform-wearing policy."

Muireann O'Dea, membership secretary at the DCC, echoes this: "Wearing helmets and hi-vis jackets is definitely a disincentive for children, particularly girls, who are image-conscious."

But others, including the Dublin Transportation Office (DTO) - who have run the travel section of the pilot Green Schools scheme - aren't so certain how image conscious girls are.

"The DTO would agree that a significant challenge in cycling promotion exists regarding post-primary children, but would not discriminate based on gender, and would not venture to suggest what the reasons for this might be without undertaking research," said spokeswoman Sara Morris. The agency points out how the initiative "is helping achieve growth in cycling numbers in participating schools".

Comments

I did find it annoying reading it with all the references to here & there given they were talking about Copenhagen one minute (here) and then Ireland the next (here).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 108 ✭✭conor rowan

i still think the main deterrant to more people cycling is the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

i still think the main deterrant to more people cycling is the perceived rain.
    Fixed that for you. I rarely get wet, and I almost never get saturated. I think I read somewhere that Dublin is less rainy than copenhagen.... - or ceraintly somewhere more european which is very cyclist-centric

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Seconded. People seem to have the misconception that it rains in Ireland 24 hrs a day. I walk to work and reckon it must be at least 3-4 weeks since I had to carry an umbrella with me on the way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Indeed. Overall, the rain in Dublin comes in sheets - there were two weeks there where it rained at some point pretty much every day but I only actually got wet about 4 out of ten of those days.

Since the start of this week though, although it's been overcast and you get the impression that it's going to rain, it hasn't been wet at all.

I've only been completely soaked through about four times this year, and the total number of days which have had rain/wet roads while I've been going in & out probably number less than 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

seamus wrote: »
    I've only been completely soaked through about four times this year, and the total number of days which have had rain/wet roads while I've been going in & out probably number less than 20.

I would agree with these figures however it just a convenient excuse for people who are too lazy to cycle. The sad thing is it is a lot quicker, less stressful and cheaper than the bus or driving. Mind you sometimes I am glad there are not too many cyclists given the current behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

"Girls-only schools all have a uniform policy that requires the wearing of skirts and this is the main reason why girls do not cycle"

Having been in Copenhagen last week, I can tell you its possible to cycle in a skirt and high-heels. not that I tried myself, but lots of the girls there did. They cycled to and from nightclubs/pubs. It was great to see the amount of bike use. Bikes aboslutely everywhere, I was fairly stunned.

I think we need to lose the dog eat dog attitude on irish roads. That goes for cyclists and motorists. People seem to go to unnecessary risks to gain a few seconds on the road here. The Danish drivers were unbelievably considerate to cyclists and the cyclists by and large obeyed traffic lights. Unlike here.

Having been in Copenhagen last week, I can tell you its possible to cycle in a skirts and high-heels. not that I tried myself, but lots of the girls there did. They cycled to and from nightclubs/pubs. It was great to see the amount of bike use. Bikes aboslutely everywhere, I was fairly stunned.
    Holland is exactly the same. You'll even see couples going out on the town, both dressed to the nines, him cycling and her side-saddle on the carrier! You also see girls cycling in heels and skirts themselves.

And Holland gets a LOT colder in winter than we do, I remember there being snow down for quite a few days, and temperatures of -10 were not uncommon. I was wearing snowboarding gloves for my commute during the depths of it! Brrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

kmick wrote: »
    I would agree with these figures however it just a convenient excuse for people who are too lazy to cycle. The sad thing is it is a lot quicker, less stressful and cheaper than the bus or driving.

Yeah the only times I've been soaked through are when I made the mistake of waiting for a bus in the rain instead of just cycling the distance. You get a lot wetter standing around for 20 mins than you do moving for 20 mins I find. A lot colder too.
    kmick wrote: »
    Mind you sometimes I am glad there are not too many cyclists given the current behaviour.

Behaviour of other cyclists or motorists? Limited cycling space aside, I prefer to cycle a route that's used by a lot of cyclists myself from a safety in numbers point of view. I find drivers along these roads are more used to people cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

One thing Copenhagen has over us is fantastic cycle lanes. Their roads are much wider than ours though, so it wouldn't really be possible to fit them in now.
    I noticed that cycle lanes get priority over road lanes though, there was one point where the road narrows to one lane (priority in one direction, still a two lane road), just to preserve the full sized cycle lanes on either side. That is something you would never find in Ireland.
    Here's a pic of (a) great lane(s)
    cycle_lane.jpg

Stark wrote: »
    Behaviour of other cyclists or motorists? Limited cycling space aside, I prefer to cycle a route that's used by a lot of cyclists myself from a safety in numbers point of view. I find drivers along these roads are more used to people cycling.
    It's a bit of a double-edged sword really. More cyclists mean that drivers are more used to cyclists, certainly.
    However more cyclists also means that the chances of encountering a wobbler who insists on plodding along barely above walking pace, yet when they get to a traffic light also insist on getting to the front of the queue, whereupon they either sit there waiting for lights to become a nicer shade of green, or they wobble along again veering all over the place until they eventually get both feet on the pedals and some momentum. I wonder sometimes if the stabalizers have been taken off too early.

hot girl + bike = maximum sexiness (Copenhagen was unbelievable in this regard).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Comparisons between Ireland and more cycle friendly countries (Denmark, Netherlands etc) is hampered by the fact that we have larger areas of suburbs and sprawl, as opposed to a significant amount of continental cities where people live in the city and are closer to their school/work.
    Irish cyclists if they were to follow the "slow bike" movement would elongate an already reasonable commute distance.
    Our biggest issue is the lack of a decent cycle infrastructure, not the fact that cyclists wear helmets/lycra etc. Fine article but doesnt really focus on the real issue.
    Anyway I have commuted by bike in Dublin for 4 years, and I notice more people biking it almost every year. Bike shops seem to be busier than ever. There are a lot of cyclists out ther, but poor urban facilities (road infrastructure). My tuppence worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

ROK ON wrote: »
    Our biggest issue is the lack of a decent cycle infrastructure, not the fact that cyclists wear helmets/lycra etc. Fine article but doesnt really focus on the real issue....
    We get a lot more rain here in Cork than I was used to in Dublin but it's still not a deterrent to cycling. You can fit a full change of clothes in a small backpack. We're heading into my first winter in the Cork commuter belt and I am actually concerned about cycling here in the dark on the small twisty roads.

ROK_ON wrote:
    Bike shops seem to be busier than ever.

Probably people replacing their stolen bicycles...
    kenmc wrote:
    However more cyclists also means that the chances of encountering a wobbler who insists on plodding along barely above walking pace, yet when they get to a traffic light also insist on getting to the front of the queue, whereupon they either sit there waiting for lights to become a nicer shade of green, or they wobble along again veering all over the place until they eventually get both feet on the pedals and some momentum. I wonder sometimes if the stabalizers have been taken off too early.

Cycle rage? :) I used to encounter those people cycling along the footpaths by Griffith Avenue when I was out jogging and even when doing a recovery session, I'd still happily jog right past them as they pottered along at 5km/hr. These are the people who tempt me into breaking a red light or two when I'm cycling, so I don't have them catch up on me at every light.

Anyway I have commuted by bike in Dublin for 4 years, and I notice more people biking it almost every year. Bike shops seem to be busier than ever.

I have to agree with you that the number of cyclists seems to be rising. Also the proportion of lighter bikes (road and hybrid) seems to be increasing. I think people are shying away from the heavier moutain bikes and it makes cycling that bit easier and more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

"Girls-only schools all have a uniform policy that requires the wearing of skirts and this is the main reason why girls do not cycle"

Having been in Copenhagen last week, I can tell you its possible to cycle in a skirt and high-heels. not that I tried myself, but lots of the girls there did. They cycled to and from nightclubs/pubs. It was great to see the amount of bike use. Bikes aboslutely everywhere, I was fairly stunned.

I think we need to lose the dog eat dog attitude on irish roads. That goes for cyclists and motorists. People seem to go to unnecessary risks to gain a few seconds on the road here. The Danish drivers were unbelievably considerate to cyclists and the cyclists by and large obeyed traffic lights. Unlike here.

Some entrepeneur should jump on this bandwagon and make SPD high heels and cycling skirts with chamois... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

i still think the main deterrant to more people cycling is the rain.

Completely agree. Reading through that article I wondered if they would mention the difference in climate between Ireland and countries where cycling is more prevalent.
    Even in Ireland the east coast is a lot drier than the west coast and while the odds of getting caught in a heavy downpour in, say, a 40 minute commute (for example) might be lower than most might expect it's still enough to deter your average joe/jenny while it wouldn't matter to more hard core cyclists like on this board.

Copenhagen has a very similar climate to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

It seems difficult to find a centralised repository of European weather statistics. This is one thing I found.

Taken from Octopustravel.com
    Dublin | Copenhagen
    rain.gifrain.gif

Measured in millimetres. Of course more relevant would be average time of day of rainfall and amounts.

However Met.ie has a bounty of statistics !

"How Often Does it Rain?

The general impression is that it rains quite a lot of the time in Ireland but in fact two out of three hourly observations will not report any measurable rainfall. The average number of wet days (days with more than 1mm of rain) ranges from about 150 days a year along the east and south-east coasts, to about 225 days a year in parts of the west.
    "

climate_rainfallmap.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

If it helps (and I can't cite a source for this) I recall reading that on average it only rains about 8% of the time in Ireland. Therefore, the chance of actually encountering a wet commute is less than one every ten days. Will post source if I track it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Personally I believe the biggest obstacle to seeing cycling take off as it should in Dublin/Ireland is the lack of changing facilities at the destination.

During the winter I'd travel in ANY weather and for a long distance if I knew there was a hot shower and a locker waiting for me a work. It would be great! I can't imagine either that a small changing room and shower can be that difficult to offer (-just build it in the car park, they won't need all the spaces anyway! :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

72hundred wrote: »
    Personally I believe the biggest obstacle to seeing cycling take off as it should in Dublin/Ireland is the lack of changing facilities at the destination.
    Maybe, but in my current job we have great facilities, showers etc. 55 people work here, I am the only cyclist. Last role, 12 people, crap facilities (1 smelly toilet to change in). 5 regular cyclist, 2 of them completely hardcore. Smelly office as a result. Sometimes its a question of attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Sometimes its a question of attitude.

Yeah true some people won't ever cycle. But I bet its nice for you to have the shower there to use! Lucky b^^^^^^ :P!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Comparisons between Ireland and more cycle friendly countries (Denmark, Netherlands etc) is hampered by the fact that we have larger areas of suburbs and sprawl, as opposed to a significant amount of continental cities where people live in the city and are closer to their school/work.
    Irish cyclists if they were to follow the "slow bike" movement would elongate an already reasonable commute distance.
    Our biggest issue is the lack of a decent cycle infrastructure, not the fact that cyclists wear helmets/lycra etc. Fine article but doesnt really focus on the real issue.

Fully agree. I read somewhere that Dublin is roughly 1.5 to 2.5 times larger in area than a comparably populated continental city. If you live outside the M50, a "slow cycle" commute on an upright city bike would take an age. To make the journey in some sort of reasonable time, you've got to crack on a bit and this means riding a sportier bike and having to sweat a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

rflynnr wrote: »
    If it helps (and I can't cite a source for this) I recall reading that on average it only rains about 8% of the time in Ireland. Therefore, the chance of actually encountering a wet commute is less than one every ten days. Will post source if I track it down.

Weather and Cycling in Dublin : Perceptions and Reality

From Velocity 2005, I think the research was commissioned by Dublin City Council.

The last two summers probably blow these stats to pieces, but let's just assume for now that they were anomolies.

last summer was crap, but this summer has been grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

last summer was crap, but this summer has been grand.

True. I remember getting sick of getting soaked everytime I got on my bike last year. This year, I've only gotten wet a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

My experience of wet weater in Ireland matches many of those above i.e. it is not often that it rains during my commute times and very rare that it rains so heavily that it soaks through my raingear. And ironically, in wet weather the traffic jams are even worse (more people in cars, presumably, combined with lower speeds) so the advantages of cycling are even greater than usual.

I think that one of the major hurdles to more people cycling is the perceived danger of commuting by bicycle. People often ask me how dangerous I find my commute. In reality I don't find it very dangerous at all overall. Granted, you do meet the odd psycho driver/biker/cyclist/whatever, but they pose a danger to everyone not just cyclists (e.g. I've seen cars have to brake suddenly and swerve to avoid idiot cyclists that just sailed through a red light).

Oh, and as for cycling in heels, my wife does this quite often. It seems to fascinate other cyclists as they seem to think that high-heeled shoes and pedals should repel each other. In reality it is no more awkward than cycling with flat soled shoes (her view - I haven't tried cycling with high-heeled shoes myself but I take her word for it). And it certainly doesn't slow her down either. Same goes for cycling in a skirt or dress (I can't speak from personal experience here either).

Advertisement