Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin sat nav having trouble finding signal

• 28-08-2008 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have had my sat nav since last November and it always worked perfect, however, the past couple of weeks, I have used it 3 times, and on 2 of those times it couldn't get a signal. This caused me to be driving around lost for 2 hours one evening!!! (I don't use paper maps).

On both days it was quite overcast but it always is in this country :)

Does anyone know what I can do to fix it?

Thanks

BPE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Being overcast shouldn't affect the signal. Try stopping for a few mins as mine seems to pick up the satellites faster when not moving about. Also if I have not used mine for a while it takes longer to track the satellites. If none of these work then maybe the antenna is damaged and it needs repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 steve584

Hi all,
    I have had my sat nav since last November and it always worked perfect, however, the past couple of weeks, I have used it 3 times, and on 2 of those times it couldn't get a signal. This caused me to be driving around lost for 2 hours one evening!!! (I don't use paper maps).

On both days it was quite overcast but it always is in this country :)

Does anyone know what I can do to fix it?

Thanks

BPE

Try resetting it. Don't know what unit you have but take a look around the unit for the reset button. It should be underneath the antenna. That worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

steve584 wrote: »
    Try resetting it. Don't know what unit you have but take a look around the unit for the reset button. It should be underneath the antenna. That worked for me.

Hi, sounds like a good idea... Will it keep all my favourites/POIs etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it's a Garmin it definitely will keep your data intact, doing a reset is the equivalent of rebooting a PC. After the reset it will do a cold start so it will take a bit longer to get a fix, try to be outdoors with a clear view of the sky overhead and to the south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I bought a 360 in November and the exact same thing has been happening. It sometimes takes up to an hour to find the sats. It also regularly looses the signal, especially in areas where the road goes through a cutout or lots of trees etc.
    The Garmin tech people told me to reset completely - not just the small button on the back. It is now finding the signal in about 20 mins. I sent another email, but have not had a reply.
    This has all happened an about the last month.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kenny11

anybody know how to fully reset a 760 garmin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Slide the power switch to the left and hold it for 8 seconds, then turn the unit on again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

JamesM wrote: »
    I bought a 360 in November and the exact same thing has been happening. It sometimes takes up to an hour to find the sats. It also regularly looses the signal, especially in areas where the road goes through a cutout or lots of trees etc.
    The Garmin tech people told me to reset completely - not just the small button on the back. It is now finding the signal in about 20 mins. I sent another email, but have not had a reply.
    This has all happened an about the last month.
    Jim.

I sent the unit back to Garmin. It came back within a week and is now working properly. Also they have upgraded it to a 370.
    Jim.

Advertisement