Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOWTO: Make Rhubarb Vodka

Options
  • 28-08-2008 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

I made some of this stuff roughly inspired by a recipe on the BBC food website HERE and it was so nice I thought I'd share. :)

'nice' is obviously subjective, so if you're not one for trying flavoured vodka's normally and/or you don't like rhubarb chances are that this isn't for you, but if that's not going to stop you then I can't recommend this enough, it was damn tasty!

you can follow the BBC recipe or do what I did (or whatever you fancy really).

i took 2 sticks of rhubarb and chopped it roughly into chunks and then bet the living crap out of in a pestle and mortar for a few minutes (think the correct term is 'macerated':)) and put it into a tuppaware tub and sprinkled with some sugar and lemon zest and left it in the fridge for 3 days to stew.

then I transplanted it to the only sealable jar i could find which was an empty one of these due to a lack of anything else even remotely suitable but it did the trick perfectly.

Then I poured in a a 1L bottle of vodka. I used Smirnoff but anything would do I guess, whichever you'd prefer/can afford.

one good shake later it all went back into the fridge and I just shook it every couple of weeks to mix it up.

I wanted as much flavour as possible so I left in the rhubarb until the last minute (unlike the BBC recipe), figuring that it would be preserved by the vodka anyway (which it was, perfectly).

after 3 months I poured it through a coffee filter and funnel back into the vodka bottle and that was it.

we used it at the weekend during a bbq party thing and it was very nice, even if I do say so myself but bugger me was it ever strong! :D

P.S. not sure if Rhubarb is still growing at this time of year, but maybe save it fornext if it's not and give it a go then. :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

one bottle of vodka & some storks of Rhubarb = Rhubarb Vodka.

Advertisement