Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dwarf is coming back in 2009 (apparently)!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

Utter waste of time just crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Ok I know this thread is old but I guess the forum is a quiet one so its not really a problem, as someone who spent the last few months watching all the old episodes again, and then finally moved onto Back to Earth, I really didnt think it was that bad, I was getting used to the idea of them being more 'story' oriented rather than comedy.
    Now I probably had the benefit of approaching it with serious caution because id heard it was terrible. I was honestly surprised when I watched. Some sketchy parts but for the most part, the plot was very Red Dwarfy, typically something that you would have seen in any of their older episodes.
    The lack of laughter was very annoying, but I think in the new ones they will reversing that decision.
    Overall I thought it was an interesting story and good for laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Thank you! Now I know it wasn't just me :D

This place is as bad as the Top Gear forum though, expect pain for liking the new episodes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm trying to re-watch the BTE specials. I dunno, maybe it's funnier if you watch Coronation Street but I hate soaps; I'm a massive RD fan and I didn't care for the self-aware jokes. I hate the fact that they're in present day going around a shopping mall, it seems so bloody cheap. It seemed that parody and homage were the forefront, not the usual fantastic sci-fi storyline jam-packed with brilliant one-liners.

If I want to watch Blade Runner or a Doctor Who-rip off (apparently) I'll watch the originals instead. Had RD ever leaned this heavily on popular source material before?

Did Lister use to spend 5 minutes laughing to himself preparing a joke?

Anyway, I'm happy to see it back, but I was severely disappointed. It's just not at all what made RD great. I'll pretend to like it if we get another season anyway :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'm trying to re-watch the BTE specials. I dunno, maybe it's funnier if you watch Coronation Street but I hate soaps; I'm a massive RD fan and I didn't care for the self-aware jokes. I hate the fact that they're in present day going around a shopping mall, it seems so bloody cheap. It seemed that parody and homage were the forefront, not the usual fantastic sci-fi storyline jam-packed with brilliant one-liners.

If I want to watch Blade Runner or a Doctor Who-rip off (apparently) I'll watch the originals instead. Had RD ever leaned this heavily on popular source material before?

Did Lister use to spend 5 minutes laughing to himself preparing a joke?

Anyway, I'm happy to see it back, but I was severely disappointed. It's just not at all what made RD great. I'll pretend to like it if we get another season anyway :o

You could be describing anything there from season 6 onwards...since when has anything from season 7 onwards been deemed vintage dwarf? Once the witing pairing ended, we got season 7.

Personally apeaking, I found BTE much more appealing than anything else showing at the time on tv...& still do. I'm not saying it was great at all, it was just godd in an ok kinda way. But even that supasses the absolute tripe that seems to be shown today that nobody complains about.

I havn't watched a single thing on Dave since BTE. That says something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

lol, whenever i talk about red dwarf i assume everyone means S1-6 and leaves the last two seasons :p

i know S7 was a dud but I enjoyed S8 well enough, i was content with the quality for it to continue in that vein; sure it wasn't up to snuff to S1-6, but what is! We got a few fun epsiodes too, Cassandra being the highlight of the season for me. it seems odd that they weren't gonna do more seasons since they spent 3 episodes (Back in the Red) setting up the return of RD to the ship with the crew....:confused:

I don't watch TV in general, just shows I like so I can't speak or compare RD to anything else on TV; I rate it against it's own shows, which really is the only fair way.

I don't know why they felt the need to include Lister doing more serious, dramatic acting and the like when it's the polar opposite to what made Red Dwarf great; you'd think they would've learnt their lesson after adding drama to Season 7 and falling flat on it's arse....

Advertisement