Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho and Ronaldinho set to spice up Serie A

• 28-08-2008 11:28am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Link
    Jose Mourinho's arrival as Inter coach and AC Milan buying Ronaldinho should add extra flair to Serie A this season and prompt a more exciting title race.

Inter won their third straight scudetto with a pedestrian season only coming to life in the final weeks when they contrived to throw away an 11-point lead before edging AS Roma to the championship on the last day.

Coach Roberto Mancini paid the price for Inter's stuttering finish and was sacked by club president Massimo Moratti.

Mancini's outburst in March when he said he was quitting, before changing his mind, was another factor in the dismissal, as was Moratti's eagerness to work with the charismatic Mourinho.

The Portuguese had been linked with Inter ever since he left Chelsea last September so he had plenty of time to hone his plans ahead of the season starting this weekend.

'My Inter will play better than the opposition and win 3-0,' Mourinho said when predicting the outcome of each league match.

'This is a great group of players, an exceptional group.'

However, Mourinho is fully aware the squad is ageing with winger Luis Figo, 35, well past his best.

Mourinho's pursuit of Frank Lampard, with whom he won two Premier League titles at Chelsea, showed he wanted big reinforcements and the England player's decision to stay in London leaves Inter short of inspiration in midfield.

Brazilian winger Mancini has arrived from Roma but Mourinho's favoured three-pronged attack will not look complete unless Inter can prise target Ricardo Quaresma from Porto.

Milan did finally bag their number one target after months of talks with Barcelona but Ronaldinho has work to do if he can restore his reputation as one of the game's great entertainers.

He went badly off the boil in his last two seasons at Barca and Milan need the Brazilian to quickly rediscover his best form after they limped home fifth in May.

An ageing defence and lack of a world class goalkeeper hampered Carlo Ancelotti's side and could do again.

Milan last won Serie A in 2004 and their attack will have to carry the whole team if they are to mount a serious title tilt.

Playmaker Kaka was below par last season after suffering knee trouble and though his injury problems are not over, fans have high hopes for his partnership with Ronaldinho.

Andriy Shevchenko's return to the San Siro after a torrid two-year spell at Chelsea has also enthused Rossoneri supporters but they know the Ukraine striker is not the player he once was.

Juventus did well to finish third in their first season back in Serie A since their 2006 match-fixing demotion.

The 23 million euro ($34 million) purchase of Palermo striker Amauri puts Claudio Ranieri's side in the title running.

Fiorentina have also spent big, with former AC Milan striker Alberto Gilardino one of a raft of new signings. They will hope to at least repeat last season's fourth place.

Roma failed to persuade Fiorentina to sell skilful forward Adrian Mutu and could struggle having sold Mancini to Inter.

Napoli are the best outside bet for a Champions League spot after shrewd buys, including Sampdoria winger Christian Maggio.

Samp will miss Maggio but the permanent transfer of Antonio Cassano from Real Madrid means the crowd will stay entertained.
    Saturday, August 30, 2008
    Time Home Away VENUE
    17:00 UK Udinese v Palermo Stadio Friuli
    19:30 UK Sampdoria v Inter Milan Luigi Ferraris
    Sunday, August 31, 2008
    Time Home Away VENUE
    14:00 UK Atalanta v Siena Atleti Azzurri d'Italia
    14:00 UK Cagliari v Lazio Sant'Elia
    14:00 UK Catania Calcio v Genoa Angelo Massimino
    14:00 UK Chievo Verona v Reggina Bentegodi
    14:00 UK AC Milan v Bologna Giuseppe Meazza
    14:00 UK Roma v Napoli Stadio Olimpico
    16:00 UK Torino v Lecce Delle Alpi
    19:30 UK Fiorentina v Juventus Artemio Franchi

Dont think its on TV at all this year again. Pity.

Still think Inter are a step ahead of some of the other teams there. Milan and Juve have ageing teams and one or two players who are billed to do big things but may not.

I reckon it will be between Roma and Inter again this year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Hahahaha, the only thing Ronaldinho will be spicing up in Italy is his curry... Sure he can still hold the ball up pretty well, and is a good passer, but he has become so static that I can see him getting eaten by Italian defenses. He's rubbish now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Didnt setanta sign up the rights to show Italien footy this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

kearnsr wrote: »
    Dont think its on TV at all this year again.

Will bet365 be showing it again this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

ITALIAN SERIE A:

One of the elite leagues in world football, Setanta Sports shows games every week from Serie A , for the home matches of the following clubs only:

Atalanta
    Chievo
    Palermo
    Reggina
    Sampdoria
    Siena
    Udinese

And catch our weekly Serie A highlights show every Monday at 9pm.

http://www.setanta.com/en/AU/Our-Sports/Football/Italian-Football/

Not all the games but its something plus James Richardson presenting from what I gather. Good news. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

No more Football Italiano on CH5 ?

No more Laura ? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Not all the games but its something plus James Richardson presenting from what I gather. Good news. :)

That is Setanta in Australia. Completely different to what we get.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Will bet365 be showing it again this year?

I was getting depressed

Then happy
    Mossy Monk wrote: »
    That is Setanta in Australia. Completely different to what we get.

Then depressed again.

AFAIK bet365 will be showing the games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I think Ronaldinho could go down one of two paths - get fit, sort his life out and become the player he was 3-4 years ago by training hard at Milanello OR continue to waste his talent, booze it up with Ronaldo and Adriano and win nothing.

Right now option two is looking good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

James Richardsom said on Football matters the other night that Setanta were showing Serie A this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Should be a more interesting season than last year, and I think a lot harder to predict.
    Inter will obviously be the favourites again. Muntari and Mancini give them more options and Mourinho generally wins wherever he goes.What could be their undoing is disharmony in the dressing room, as if they have a couple of bad results I can see Mourinho and Ibrahimovic on a collision course.

Milan have the advantage of not being in Europe which should enable them to at least close the gap on their city rivals. Their transfer policy however is as if no one at the club has watched a football match for 2 years. In 2006 an attack of kaka, ronaldinho and shevchenko would have been awesome, but it's a big risk putting so much faith in two players who really haven't found consistent form for so long. Factor in the signing of Senderos and you really have to question their moves in the transfer market.

I think Juventus will continue to go from strength to strength under Ranieri. Poulsen and Mellberg are two solid signings and Amauri is a great talent in attack. If del Piero continues his renaissance they could be the team to pose the greatest challenge to Inter. However I think they really missed out by not getting Alonso, and the strain of playing in Europe could prove telling.

Roma are always a weird one in that they never sign anyone, lose a couple of players but remain unaffected. The core of the team is very strong, solid defence, two excellent midfielders in De Rossi and Aquilani and of course Francesco Totti leading the attack. The problem is that they have very little squad depth, but if Totti and De Rossi stay fit and in form they are a challenge for any side, and undoubtedly play the best football in serie A.

Fiorentina, much like Everton have done in the past, will struggle to cope with the balance of Champions League and Serie A. Combined with the fact that AC Milan surely will perform better than last year, and they'd be doing very well to retain 4th place.

As for the rest, Sampdoria will depend on how Cassano feels, meaning their season could go either way. Udinese still have a fearsome attack in Di Natale and Quagliarella, and hopefully my team, Napoli, can build on a solid last season and continue to progress, the retention of hamsik and Lavezzi being vital if this is to happen.

If I had to predict how it will finish I'd say:
    1st: Inter-Mourinho to add another title to his collection.
    2nd: AC Milan-I'll go out on a limb here and say that Ronaldinho will make some sort of a comeback.
    3rd: Juventus-They'll also have a decent European run, quarter finals at least.
    4th: Roma-Totti to have a less effective season due to age/injury

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I think Ronaldinho could go down one of two paths - get fit, sort his life out and become the player he was 3-4 years ago by training hard at Milanello OR continue to waste his talent, booze it up with Ronaldo and Adriano and win nothing.

Right now option two is looking good.

Didnt look fit in the games I saw him in at the Olympics - ut some cracking deadballs in but that explosive burst of pace that got him that yard of space looking to have gone misssing. Sad.

Also think I heard it on Setanta News that they would be showing Italian football this year - was on in the background and wasnt really listening but I kinda mentally filed it away as something to keep an eye on. I would be surprised if they had purchased the rights for OZ and not for UK and Ireland.

I swear to god, I'll post pictures of me eating my hat if Ronaldinho gets any semblance of his old self back. And by old self I mean single handedly beating defenders with great pace. I don't care about his free kicks and penalties, that's something you don't lost after having 200 too many take aways. He is floating around on his natural ability, it's a pity his talent wasn't given to someone with a more professional attitude, he had all the natural attributes to be put up there with the Zidanes. Lazy sh*thead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

eZe^ wrote: »
    I swear to god, I'll post pictures of me eating my hat if Ronaldinho gets any semblance of his old self back. And by old self I mean single handedly beating defenders with great pace. I don't care about his free kicks and penalties, that's something you don't lost after having 200 too many take aways. He is floating around on his natural ability, it's a pity his talent wasn't given to someone with a more professional attitude, he had all the natural attributes to be put up there with the Zidanes. Lazy sh*thead.

I'll save this thread for the end of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

This will be the year where justice will be finally made and The Old Lady will take back what belongs to her :cool: ...go on Juve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I think if anyone can turn a player around it will be Milan, its wait and see time.

They have one of the bestest fitness centres in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Mr. X wrote: »
    I think if anyone can turn a player around it will be Milan, its wait and see time.

They have some of the bestest fitness drugs in the world!

fyp

They really turned Ronaldo's fortunes around alright, he's back to his best...

See this Giovinco joker for Juve? I am as good as Messi and Aguero. Hahaha.

They really turned Ronaldo's fortunes around alright, he's back to his best...

See this Giovinco joker for Juve? I am as good as Messi and Aguero. Hahaha.
    They did for some time, but Ronnie arrived very injury prone, he did lose quite a bit of weight.

Unfortunately he badly injured himself last season thats hardly Milans fault.

Ronaldinho is also very injury prone, he's also very glutton prone. Keep him away from confectionary, it's a killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Giovinco does look a real talent to be fair. Don't think hes that good, but he'll be a world class player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

What's this young forward Balaoteli (?) like for Inter? It seems big things are expected of him.

Can we expect Mourinho to use him a lot this season?

PHB wrote: »
    Giovinco does look a real talent to be fair. Don't think hes that good, but he'll be a world class player.

Not denying that, but still, he is older than both Messi and Aguero. I don't think he should be comparing himself to his juniors. :pac:
    SofaK wrote: »
    What's this young forward Balaoteli (?) like for Inter? It seems big things are expected of him.

My friend kept raving about him last season, when I watched him I was VERY impressed. He is very physically able at such a young age. He definitely doesnt look like a Balotelli though, more of a Djembe Mutombo.

They couldnt do with Ronaldo (well maybe they did a small bit)

SofaK wrote: »

Mourinho likes him from what I can say. He wont be first choice but he'll get a fair few games. The lad is big and powerful. He'll score a lot of goals for us this season

He definitely doesnt look like a Balotelli though, more of a Djembe Mutombo.

He was adopted by an Italian family.

Inter held.

AC lose to newly promoted Bologna (second favourite team in Italy). AC in trouble already?

So much for the ol spicing up eh ? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

carlop wrote: »

Roma are always a weird one in that they never sign anyone, lose a couple of players but remain unaffected.

ROMA
    IN: Riise (Liverpool), Loria (Siena), Rosi (Chievo), Julio Baptista (Real Madrid), Menez (Monaco)

Napoli fans go nuts

Why do people do this?

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    ROMA
    IN: Riise (Liverpool), Loria (Siena), Rosi (Chievo), Julio Baptista (Real Madrid), Menez (Monaco)

Ok so maybe I was a little off...:D

I didn't literally mean that they sign no one but that they rarely make major signings, especially for a team that is constantly challenging. I'm not sure of the details or extent of it but I know they have had financial problems in recent years. At the start of the summer Aquilani was heavily linked to Juve and Inter. Though they did manage to hang on to him, this, combined with the sale of Mancini to Inter, strengthening the squad of their main rivals last year, suggests that in the transfer market they are a step below the 3 big northern clubs.

Of the ones above, I know little about Loria, Rosi and Menez. Riise I think is a strange buy, considering how his form has dipped in recent years. Julio Baptista could go either way for them, but what they really wanted was a striker, and while Baptista is undoubtedly an attacking threat, he's not the player I think Roma need, or indeed wanted at the start of the summer.

but what they really wanted was a striker, and while Baptista is undoubtedly an attacking threat, he's not the player I think Roma need, or indeed wanted at the start of the summer.

Baptista scored 50 goals in two seasons with Sevilla..... as.... a striker. He just needs to be played behind the centre-forward in the hole, and played regularly.

Baptista scored 50 goals in two seasons with Sevilla..... as.... a striker. He just needs to be played behind the centre-forward in the hole, and played regularly.

I always remember hearing that Baptista was more of a midfielder at sevilla and that this made his golas tally all the more remarkable, but you're the La Liga expert around here so I'll take your word for it.

The hole is also Totti's best position IMO, though he does also play a lot as the main centre-forward, so I guess Baptista could be accomodated playing behind Totti. I just don't think it would be the most balanced of strike forces, and think that Roma would have been better off signing a centre-forward for Totti to play behind. Of course they do still have Vucinic, who I rate quite highly ( hope I'm wrong for Ireland's sake:pac:).

I always remember hearing that Baptista was more of a midfielder at sevilla and that this made his golas tally all the more remarkable, but you're the La Liga expert around here so I'll take your word for it.

The hole is also Totti's best position IMO, though he does also play a lot as the main centre-forward, so I guess Baptista could be accomodated playing behind Totti. I just don't think it would be the most balanced of strike forces, and think that Roma would have been better off signing a centre-forward for Totti to play behind. Of course they do still have Vucinic, who I rate quite highly ( hope I'm wrong for Ireland's sake:pac:).

Well, the in the hole striker at Sevilla was kind of a midfielders position, because he made his runs from the top of midfield, it was a remarkable achievement, and I doubt he'll ever do that again. Also, it will be interesting to see if he'll be played as an AMF at Roma (like at Madrid) because Totti's favoured position is also in the whole.

Napoli fans go nuts

Why do people do this?

Madness. I just read an article from an Italian newspaper, they caused E500,000 worth of damages, and 4 ticket inspectors were hospitalised. Then at the match itself a Napoli fan was stabbed in the leg.

This is another in a long list of incidents that highlights the major problem of hooliganism in Italy, however certain aspects make it all the more disturbing. The mayor of Naples actually negotiated with leaders of the ultras for about an hour, and then allows them to basically hijack a train, forcing passengers who had actually bought tickets off.

The idea that the mayor of a major city in a developed EU country like Italy should have to negotiate and then back down to a bunch of scumbags is disgraceful, and being half-Neapolitan, shameful.

Madness. I just read an article from an Italian newspaper, they caused E500,000 worth of damages, and 4 ticket inspectors were hospitalised. Then at the match itself a Napoli fan was stabbed in the leg.

This is another in a long list of incidents that highlights the major problem of hooliganism in Italy, however certain aspects make it all the more disturbing. The mayor of Naples actually negotiated with leaders of the ultras for about an hour, and then allows them to basically hijack a train, forcing passengers who had actually bought tickets off.

The idea that the mayor of a major city in a developed EU country like Italy should have to negotiate and then back down to a bunch of scumbags is disgraceful, and being half-Neapolitan, shameful.

Napoli is not Italy - please don't confuse s*** with chocolate.

• Advertisement

TripleAce wrote: »

Napoli is not the only place it is happening. Its affecting Italy as a whole

Napoli is not the only place it is happening. Its affecting Italy as a whole

It is happening in Italy as it is happening in other places: Spain, Germany, Holland, Napoli, Poland, etc.....most of the incidents occur outside the stadium though, and police has little control around it.

Reading the sentence "Police ordered the train with the fans to leave Naples for public security reasons, the railway officials said." ....this just means transferring the problem from your city to another.
    Then once they got to Rome, you simply cannot leave the away supporters outside the stadium when they get to your city for the game......"you leave me out? ok guys, let's go for a walk in town and break everything" - at least when these scumbags are inside the stadium they are confined and easier to control. Something has to be done, but it is not an easy issue to deal with.

By the way I am surprised if there was no "Special Train" for supporters going from Napoli to Rome, in that case if I was a supporter I would be well pissed off too.

That's an offensive and stupid post, have you ever been there? On what basis is Napoli not Italy?

I'll admit Napoli fans are amongst the worst offenders, but have you forgotten about Inter's fans going on the rampage in Parma on the last day of last season? Or Roma fans being involved in stabbings repeatedly in the Champions League?

It is happening in Italy as it is happening in other places: Spain, Germany, Holland, Napoli, Poland

What country is Naopli again? Italy (including Naopli) has one of the worst hooligan problems that I know about. Other countries have it but it doesnt seem to be same scale as Italy right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Kerlon: I'll seize Chievo chance
    Thursday 4 September, 2008
    Brazilian starlet Kerlon is relishing the chance to show his skills in Serie A after signing for Chievo.

The Flying Donkeys pulled off a surprise swoop for the highly rated youngster on deadline day when they agreed a deal with Cruzeiro.

Kerlon is best known for his “seal dribble” where he can run a considerable distance with the ball balanced on his forehead.

But the 20-year-old's talents go much further and before a series of injuries dogged him, he was seen as one of Brazil's brightest rising stars.

“I am happy to have arrived in Italy and to have the opportunity to play in Serie A,” he enthused at his presentation.

“I am grateful to Chievo for this and I look forward to testing myself, even if I need to show some patience.

“I am still recovering from a knee injury and I will need at least two or three more weeks to recover fully.

“My aim is to have a great season with Chievo and to help them avoid relegation.”

eh....chievo of all places?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

He was meant to be going to Inter and then back to Chievo on loan but it seems that both him and Robinho are trying to set a new trend by joining clubs far below their talent.

All the youtube clips of Kerlon's seal dribble are hilarious though. He effectively runs right up to the box when the defenders create a wall and one of them just viciously takes him out. Cannot wait for gattusso to come up against it

Advertisement