Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gee, Brain, what are we going to do tonight?

• 28-08-2008 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭

The same thing we do every night, Pinky - the snatch and the clean and jerk!

I'm starting a journal here at g'em's request - it's something a little different from most of the rest of the journals here.

I am a novice/intermediate female weightlifter (see here for explanation of weightlifting: http://www.owresource.com/lifts/index.php). I've been training for a little over a year, and have three competitions under my (figurative) belt at the moment.

A sample of my current best interesting lifts (at approx 64kgs) are:
    Snatch 39kg
    Clean 52kg
    Jerk 61kg
    Clean and Jerk 52kg
    Front squat 75kg
    Back squat 87.5kg

My goals are:
    1) don't get injured - injury = time off training = bad
    2) gain more efficient technique
    3) lift heavier weight in competition
    4) drop about 4kg of bodyfat (joys of weight classes)
    5) take over the world

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

Wednesday 27th of August: heavy snatches, heavy front squat triples, and interval cardio

Warmup:
    Overhead squats 15kg bar 5 x 3
    Drop snatches: 3@15kg, 3@22kg x 3
    EBTE (Embarrassing Bar Trajectory Exercise): 3 sets of 5

Hang snatch followed by snatch from floor: 25, 27.5, 30, 32.5
    Snatch from floor: 35, 37, 38, 39 (new personal best), failed with 40kg - soon!

Front squats: 3@40, 3@50, 3@60, 3@67 x 5
    Leg curls: 12@45 x 2

Sprints on the Concept II ergometer: 1 minute all-out and 1 minute easy, 6 rounds

A nice short sweet session. Legs hurt today after squatting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

Hey Wasabi, can you tell me how you got into weightlifting and if you have a coach?

This thread looks like its defo worth a read - bookmarked! :)

Al_Fernz wrote: »
    Hey Wasabi, can you tell me how you got into weightlifting and if you have a coach?

This thread looks like its defo worth a read - bookmarked! :)

I initially acquired an interest in weightlifting when I was in my Crossfit phase. I do have a coach - there's several people in the Hercules Club in Dublin who coach, all you have to do is join up and express an interest really. Plus, the Hercs is the best gym ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Absolutely delighted to have you posting here wasabi, you're an inspiration and a truly hardcore chick. Methinks you'll have quite a few followers in no time at all - I mean hell...
    wasabi wrote:
    A sample of my current best interesting lifts (at approx 64kgs) are:
    Snatch 39kg
    Clean 52kg
    Jerk 61kg
    Clean and Jerk 52kg
    Front squat 75kg
    Back squat 87.5kg

...niiiiiiice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Great to have a weightlifter with a log. It'll be great to see the differences in training you'll raise. I actually have no idea how Oly lifters train, seems to be concentrated mostly on training the lifts themselves rather than exercises to improve the lifts? To a certain extent of course.

Now if we could get strongman to post a log, anyone know any!!??

G'em get out there and recruit!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Hardcore. I like.

Mind you, I'll have to limit my reading of your log to stave off the pangs on inadequacy from my weak, girly (but thankfully not pink dumbbell-related) lifting! :o

Good luck with the log

Oh and bonus points for the name of your log (people are *way* too boring here with their log titles ;))

kevpants wrote: »
    Great to have a weightlifter with a log. It'll be great to see the differences in training you'll raise. I actually have no idea how Oly lifters train, seems to be concentrated mostly on training the lifts themselves rather than exercises to improve the lifts? To a certain extent of course.

Now if we could get strongman to post a log, anyone know any!!??

G'em get out there and recruit!!:D

Different weightlifters train differently. I do train the core lifts a lot because I'm still getting good at them! I'm also currently doing a fair amount of hang power snatching to develop my speed and extension at the end of my pull. Lots of squatting, too, for lower body strength. Training is probably much lower in volume than you'd be used to seeing as well.

Hardcore. I like.

Mind you, I'll have to limit my reading of your log to stave off the pangs on inadequacy from my weak, girly (but thankfully not pink dumbbell-related) lifting! :o

Good luck with the log

Oh and bonus points for the name of your log (people are *way* too boring here with their log titles ;))

Oh, I have the feelings of inadequacy too. The bar can always be loaded heavier than you can lift, you can't win - but you can improve yourself. Sure that's where the joy of it is, I suppose.

Yeah, hopefully everyone will get the Pinky and the Brain reference in the title, sure otherwise it'll make no sense :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Excellent, looking forward to reading your log. Good luck taking over the world. Remember, first we take the power, then we take the chocolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

i dont have a clue about weightlifting but i just have to say i love the log title:D

best of luck with it

• Advertisement

Thanks SunGod and BossArky :)

Thursday 27th of August: C+J and misc

Clean and jerk warmup (jerk dips, jerk catches, some light front squats)
    C+J: 2+1@35 x 2, 2+1@40, 2+1@44, 2+1@46 x 5 (2+1 = 2 cleans and 1 jerk after second clean)
    Push press: 5@35 x 3
    Seated cable row: 12@35 x 2, 10@35

Just another short session. Right shoulder feeling a little odd after C+Js so didn't do much else.

Monday 1st September

Overhead squats: 3@15 x 2
    Drop snatches: 3@15, 3@22 x 3
    Snatch combo: 25, 25, 27.5, 30 x 3
    Overhead squats: 2@35, 2@39, 2@42 x 3 (with 2 second pause at the bottom)
    Power clean and power jerk: 2@35, 2@39, 2@42 x 3

Followed by 6 1 minute sprints on the Concept II.

Snatch combo is one power snatch from the hang, one from the floor, and one full snatch.

Tuesday 2nd September: a few light snatches, heavy C+J singles, front squats

Snatch warmup - overhead squats with bar and drop snatches with 22kg
    Hang snatch followed by snatch: 25kg, 29kg, 29kg
    C+J: 2@35 x 2, 2@40, 1@45, 47.5, 20, 52.5 x 3

Front squat: 2@50, 2@55, 2@60, 2@65, 2@69 x 4
    Leg curls: 12@45 x 3
    Step ups: 8@40 each leg x 2
    Chin ups: 6, 4, 4
    Decline pushups: 12 x 2

Very decent session, 52.5 is a new personal best in the C+J (only by half a kilo, but that's better than a poke in the eye sure) but to get it consistently for 3 singles is great. Think there's more there for the taking, find out soon!

Wednesday 3rd of September - heavy snatches, light front squat and jerk

Snatch warmup - light overhead squats and drop snatches
    Hang snatch then snatch: 25, 28, 30
    Snatch: 33, 35, 36 x 5
    2 Front squat and single jerk: 35, 39 x 4 sets, 42 x 4 sets

Extremely happy with all that, was a good volume of heavy snatches, no misses and form was mostly good.

Three days training on the trot there, things are getting sore! Rest day today.

Friday 5th September - hang power snatches, rack jerks, back squats

Warmup - overhead squats and drop snatches
    Hang power snatch: 2@25, 2@28, 2@31, 2@33 x 6
    Rack jerks: 2@40, 2@44, 2@48, 1@52, 1@56 x 6
    Back squats: 10@40, 3@50, 3@60, 2@70, 1@80 x 6
    Step ups: 8 per side with 40kg, 2 sets
    Sprints on concept II: 6 x 1 minute with 1 minute between

Monday 8th September - backoff session 1 of 2

Overhead squats: 5@20kg x 3
    Drop snatches: 3@20 x 3
    Snatch combo: 25, 25, 27, 28, 28
    Overhead squats: 2@25, 2@37, 2@39 x 2
    2 Power Cleans + 1 Power Jerk: 35, 38, 40, 42, 42 (failed second jerk), 42
    Cardio: 20 minute hill program on exercise bike

A strange session, was knackered from a crazy day and had a bit of a bicep strain. Cleans were absolute pants, but these things happen. Taking this session and the next a bit lighter and a bit lower in volume than usual to facilitate a bit of extra recovery. This is the first of 3 planned 4 week blocks leading up to next competition, usually it will be 3 weeks heavy and 1 week easy but as I've just done 2 tough weeks taking a couple of easy sessions to start the block.

Tuesday 9th September - backoff session 2 of 2

OHS: 5@15 x 3
    Drop snatch: 3@15, 3@23 x 3
    Hang snatch + snatch: 25, 25, 29
    Snatch: 32 x 5
    Jerk warmup
    2 front squats + 1 jerk: 35, 40, 42 x 4
    Front squat: 3@50, 1@60 x 5

Bit of a better session, everything fairly easy.

Thursday 11th September - light snatches, heavy cleans, misc

Snatch warmup - overhead squats and drop snatches as usual
    Hang snatch + snatch: 25, 28, 30
    Snatch: 33 x 5 singles
    Quick C+J warmup
    C+J: 2C+1J@35, 2C+1J@40, 45, 50, 52, 53, 54, 55
    Leg curls: 6@45, 6@50 x 3
    4 sets DB shoulder press, 4 sets seated cable row, 2 sets pushups
    5 x 1 minute intervals on Concept II

Great session here, back to proper heavy stuff and bicep strain has settled down. Snatches were fine and easy. C+J were fabulous, 53-55 were personal bests and apparently looked dead easy. Form was very good, especially the 54 and 55, which is unusual for me hitting a new weight, usually it is dead ugly. Very happy indeed with that.

Saturday 13th September - hang power snatches, rack jerks and back squats

Snatch warmup - overhead squats and drop snatches
    Hang power snatch: 3@25, 3@28, 3@30, 3@32 x 5
    Jerk warmup
    Rack jerk: 2@40, 2@45, 2@50, 54, 58 x 4 singles (also 2 failures, boo)
    Back squat: 5@45 x 2, 4@55, 3@65, 1@70, 75, 80 x 7 singles
    Step-ups: 6@45 each side x 3 sets

A tough day, big step up in volume/weight on the power snatches. Missed some of the heavy jerks, which was disappointing. Same weight next week and hopefully do better.

Monday 15th September

Snatch warmup - light overhead squats, drop snatches, light hang snatches
    Snatch combo: 26, 28, 30, 32 x 3
    Overhead squats: 2@35, 2@40, 2@43 x 3
    2 Power cleans + 1 Power jerk: 35, 35, 39, 42, 45 x 3
    Press: 5@25, 3@30 x 3
    Chins: 6, 4, 3 and slow negatives on last rep of each set

Should have been a bit of cardio in there too but I seem to have a bit of a cold so left it for today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

great journal Wasai sum v impressive lifting goin on....jus joined hercules there today myself place is absolutly class!

great journal Wasai sum v impressive lifting goin on....jus joined hercules there today myself place is absolutly class!

Yep, it's a good gym! Say hey if you're passing, you'll know me by the fact that I am a girl with dark hair lifting stuff over my head.

Wednesday 17th September:

Snatch warmup - light overhead squats, drop snatches and hang snatches
    Hang snatch + snatch: 28, 30, 32
    Snatch: 34, 36, 38, 39, 40, 41, fail@42 x 2
    2 Front squats + jerk: 35 x 2, 40, 45, 50 x 3
    Front squat: 3@55, 3@60 x 3

Excellent session that, 40 and 41kg are new personal bests for snatch. Timing isn't quite right yet to hit the 42 but I'll get there. Yay!

Clearly starting a log on boards is the best way to hit new PBs, this is the best month's training I've had in ages. Getting more explosive from the hang power work and technique in general getting more consistent.

• Advertisement

Friday 19 September: light snatch, heavy C+J
    Block 1 - week 2 (heavy) - session 3 (light snatches, heavy C+J, leg curls, auxiliary upper body work and cardio)

Snatch warmup - OHS @22kg, drop snatches and hang snatches with 24
    Hang snatch + snatch: 26, 27.5
    Snatch: 30, 32, 34, 36 x 6
    One set of presses, jerk dips and catches with 20kg bar
    C+J: 2+1@35, 2+1@40, 2@1@45, 1@49 x 6
    Leg curls: 6@45, 6@50, 6@55 x 3

Again should have been some cardio and auxiliary upper body work but still have that cold so left it. Very distracting events involving a pre-contest bodybuilder practising poses at the other end of the gym occurred towards end of the C+Js but I didn't let any of that get in the way of executing some flawless lifts :pac:

Saturday 20th September: hang power snatch, rack jerks, back squats
    Block 1, week 2, session 4

Warmup: light overhead squats, drop snatches, misc
    Hang power snatch: 3@26, 3@28, 3@31, 3@32.5 x 5
    Rack jerks: 2@40 x 2, 2@45, 1@50, 1@54, 1@58 x 6
    Back squats: 8@40, 5@50, 3@60, 1@70, 1@82 x 6
    Step ups: 6@45 x 3 each side

A good day, hang power snatches were tough and my hands were killing me, but got all my rack jerks in today, which was good. Most were good form. Back squats were nice and easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Always nice to read your journal wasabi, impressive stuff. How long were you lifting before you decided to concentrate and compete on the oly lifts? Do you deadlift at all? What are drop snatches? I think there were more questions but can't think of them atm....

Always nice to read your journal wasabi, impressive stuff. How long were you lifting before you decided to concentrate and compete on the oly lifts? Do you deadlift at all? What are drop snatches? I think there were more questions but can't think of them atm....

Hi Brian - I did a bit of lifting years ago when I was doing TKD, got lazy for a while. Started current stint of lifting around the end of 2006, needed to get fit and drop some fat. I quickly hit on Crossfit, which worked very well, and it was from there I got interested in weightlifting.

I used to deadlift alright, haven't done much in the last year or more because the deadlift and the start of a clean are very similar yet quite profoundly different - and I find deadlifting can mess up the clean's movement patterns. Interestingly enough though I did do one session this year where I tested my deadlift after several months with no deads but plenty of cleans - I managed 125kg easily enough which I'd failed with a few months previously before I stopped deadlifting :)

Drop snatches are an assistance exercise for the snatch, it's designed to help you get under the bar fast after the pull. You start holding the bar on your shoulder as for a back squat, hands in a snatch grip, and just drop down into an overhead squat position as fast as possible.

Monday 22 September - Block 1, Week 3, Session 1

OHS 5@15 x 3
    Drop snatches and hang snatches: 15, 22, 24, 26
    Snatch combo: 29, 31, 33 x 3
    Overhead squats: 2@40, 2@44 x 3
    Double powerclean + powerjerk: 35, 40, 45, 47 x 3

Finished off with a few chins, decline pushups, seated cable rows and DB press.
    25 minutes hill program on bike

Good session, managed to do the snatch combo perfectly for the first time ever and not powersnatch when I should snatch or vice versa :)
    Powercleans are getting fairly heavy for doubles but power jerk is still easy so it'll be cleans and powerjerk from next session.

Tuesday 22 September - Block 1, Week 3, Session 2

OHS 5@15 x 3
    Drop snatches and hang snatches: 15, 20, 22, 24
    Hang snatch + snatch: 26, 29
    Snatch: 31, 34, 36, 38 x 6 singles
    Double front squat + jerk: lots@bar, 40 x 2, 45, 50, 53 x 3
    Front squat: 3@58, 3@63 x 3

Decent session, snatches were the main thing here and first time doing 38 for repeated singles, so happy days. Missed 38 in competition at the end of July and it's easy now. Yay!

Starting to feel a bit ragged around the edges, next week is scheduled to be a backoff week with slightly reduced weight and volume and I'm feeling about ready for that. Two more heavy sessions to go first, though!

Thursday 25th September - Block 1, Week 3, Session 3: Light snatch, heavy C+J

OHS: 5@15 x 3 and misc warmup exercises
    Drop snatch and hang snatch: 15, 20, 22, 24kg
    Hang snatch + snatch: 26, 28, 30
    Snatch: 32, 34, 36, 37 x 6
    C+J: 5+5@20kg, 2+1@40, 44, 47, 50, 53, 54, 56, 57, 58
    Leg curls: 6@45, 6@50, 6@55 x 3

Excellent session - wasn't majorly happy with snatches although 37kg is my best competition snatch they just felt a bit sluggish. However, that's another C+J personal best by 3kg, and the lifts felt relatively easy. Gains just seem to be there for the taking at the moment. Long may this last!

Friday 26th September - Block 1, week 3, session 4

Snatch warmup - OHS, drop snatches
    Hang power snatch: warmup weights, 3@33 x 5
    Jerk warmup
    Rack jerk: 5 singles with 60kg and 1 fail (boo)
    Back squat: warmup weights and 6 singles with 83kg (easy)

That's the heavy weeks done. Plan is light stuff and less volume next week, for recovery.

Tuesday 30th September - backoff session 1 of 2

Snatch warmup - OHS, drop snatches, hang snatches
    Snatch combo: 25, 28, 30
    OHS: 2@30, 2@35, 2@40
    2 clean + 1 power jerk: 35, 35, 38, 41, 44

Finished with 25 mins hill program on stationary bike.

Feeling good now, am making renewed efforts with the diet, sleep is good.

Thursday 2nd October - backoff session 2 of 2

Snatch warmup and snatch singles to a top single of 37kg
    C+J to a top single of 47kg
    Front squat: 45, 55, 62.5
    Cardio

Another light backoff session.

Saturday and Sunday 4/5 October - squad session

Sat am - Clean session. Technique work, worked to a top triple with 50kg and did a good bit of lighter stuff. Have developed annoying habit of pulling with arms during clean since last week, working on eliminating that and improving my start position.

Sat pm - Jerk session. Mostly clean, double power jerk and a single jerk. Top set was 47kg. Main technical thing was better recovery after the jerk, moving front leg first rather than back.

Sunday am - light snatch session. Working on technique, better body position relative to the pull, faster drop. Worked up to 4 doubles with 34, very easy.

Sunday pm - went for a max on snatch. Got 42 for a new PR by 1kg. 3 failed attempts at 43. Second attempt was extremely close, I had it locked out but it was slightly forward so I lost it before I could stand up. Ah well, should get it soon, and hey I did get a kilo increase. As they say, a kilo here, a kilo there and soon enough you're lifting real weight.

Had some time at the end so I did a few front squats, went up to a new PR of 78kg, 3kg increase. Grindertastic, though. And a few glute ham raises, might as well since we don't have one up in the Hercs. The gym in the university in Jordanstown is just fab, it has nearly everything. 7 platforms! Weightlifting heaven.

Knackered now and diet has gone out window in favour of eating absolutely everything in sight, this is what happens with 2x per day training I suppose :)

So the weekend up north went well then?!?! :p

• Advertisement

g'em wrote: »
    So the weekend up north went well then?!?! :p

Well, it would have been better if I'd managed the 43kg snatch or if my garlic potatoes had eventually shown up at dinner on Saturday, but yeah on the whole good.

I'm half dead today, mind. Starving and sore :)

Monday 6th October - Active rest

OHS: 5@15, 5@20 x 3
    Drop snatch: 3@20, 3@25 x 3
    Back squat: 5@40, 3@50 x 3
    Plus a couple of sets each of L chins, leg curls, pushups, inverted rows, plank complexes.
    2k on the Concept II, moderate pace.

Just a bit of an active rest session, too shattered from squad training for anything else. Felt much better after though.

Wednesday 8th October - Block 2, week 1, session 2

OHS: 5@20 x 2
    Drop snatch: 5@20, 5@25
    Hang snatch + snatch: 30, 33
    Snatch: 35, 37, 38 x 6 singles
    Double front squat + jerk: bar x lots, 40, 45 x 2, 50, 54 x 3 sets
    Front squat: 3@57.5, 6@64 x 3
    Followed by 20 mins on exercise bike.

All OK.

Thursday 9th October - Block 2, week 1, session 3
    OHS: 3@20 x 3
    Drop snatch: 3@20, 3@25 x 2, 3@28 and some hang snatches mixed in too
    HS + S: 30, 33 x 2, 35 x 5 sets
    C+J: 2+1@35, 2+1@40, 2+1@45, 49 x 6 singles
    Leg curls: 6@50, 6@55 x 3

Tiring. Not really properly recovered yet from the weekend, this is the 7th time I've trained this week, hands are in bits and I'm pooped. Plan is for lots of vegging out and sleep this weekend, although I will be training on Saturday a.m.

wasabi wrote: »
    hands are in bits and I'm pooped
    I thought it was just me!! Jeebus my hands never got this torn up PLing.

So if we're both pooped then we can both do a back up day tomorrow... right? Please?!

Still lolling @ Zig and Zag :D

I thought it was just me!! Jeebus my hands never got this torn up PLing.

So if we're both pooped then we can both do a back up day tomorrow... right? Please?!

Yep, I think it's snatching mostly, the speed of it and the way the bar rotates. Much worse than deadlifting I think, even though much less weight involved.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with some 60kg rack jerks, which I intend to nail. But you should relax :D

Saturday 11th October - Block 2, week 1, session 4

OHS: 5@15 x 3
    Drop snatch: 3@15, 3@20, 3@25, 3@27.5
    Hang power snatch: 3@27.5, 3@30, 3@32.5, 2@35 x 5
    Rack jerk: 3@40 x 2, 1@45, 50, 55, 57.5, 60 x 6 singles (woohoo!)
    Back squat: 5@50, 3@60, 2@70, 80, 85 x 6 singles
    Step ups: 6@50 x 3 sets each side

Tough session but all weights up and no misses. 2 rack jerks possibly slightly pressed out, might well have passed in competition anyway. Not to worry, happy to get them all up there. I'll attempt a new max soon.

• Advertisement

Nice work Wasabi. do you have any specific numbers in mind for competition maybe?

Back squat ... 85 x 6 singles
    130% bw squats done with ease? Noice!!!

Good job lady, sweet work on the jerks too. You're eldest child for a reason y'know :p

Nice work Wasabi. do you have any specific numbers in mind for competition maybe?

Cheers. I'm not competing for another 7 weeks. I'm hoping to be well up on my last total. I'll be happy with anything that has 3 digits in it rather than 2 :)
    130% bw squats done with ease? Noice!!!

Good job lady, sweet work on the jerks too. You're eldest child for a reason y'know :p

:o
    Aww. Thanks.

I am pleased to report I have been acceptably good on my eating all weekend, despite being offered cake on not one but multiple occasions on Saturday. I did have one rice krispie bun but sure it was PWO :)

Off now to cook a ginormous green thai curry, that'll keep me in healthy food for a day or two!

Monday 13th October

OHS: 5@15, 5@20 x 2
    Drop snatch: 3@20, 3@25 x 3, and 2 hang snatches at end of each set
    Snatch combo: 28, 30, 32, 34 x 3
    OHS: 2@35, 2@40, 2@42.5, 2@45 x 3
    2C + Power Jerk: 35, 40, 45, 47, 49 x 3
    2k on the Concept II.

Nothing too remarkable, but progress on all weights.

Food:
    Meal 1: scrambled eggs and 2 small slices multigrain bread
    Meal 2: green curry, homemade with chicken and lots of veg
    Meal 3: small protein flapjack
    Meal 4: green curry, homemade with chicken and lots of veg
    Meal 5: banana and 6" subway meatball marinara sub

Fairly OK that, the meatball marinara sub was bold but it was PWO and I was in a hurry. I am resisting the lure of the large tray of tiramisu sitting in my fridge. It seems the instant one gets serious about one's diet the entire world is suddenly made of cake and junk food. Sigh.

For the record btw, I'm genuinely not trying to sabotage your lifting by incorrectly loading the bar all the time... it's the 15kg ladies' bar, it confusses me :o

• Advertisement

That's OK, I believe you, sure I've seen you sabotage your own lifting as well. Also, you were probably a little concussed at the time :p

(also, I didn't get told off for eating Subway, w00t!)

(also, I didn't get told off for eating Subway, w00t!)
    It's PWO, and having done weight-lifting for a few weeks now I can safely say that PWO nutrition can be extremely lenient. Once you're keeping your proteins and fats high earlier in the day (as you are) and carbing around training you should find much more stable energy levels and easier-to-manage weight loss.

Meal 3: small protein flapjack

Did you make this yourself??

Did you make this yourself??

Yep, I had some chocolate whey to finish off that I don't much like the taste of. They're made of oats, whey, equal amounts of melted butter and olive oil, some flaxseed and a couple of spoons each of peanut butter and nutella, for added deliciousness. They didn't stick terribly well probably due to not containing enough sugary stuff, but they made nicer solid bars after being wrapped up in some clingfilm in the fridge. They're filling and surprisingly tasty for something I randomly threw together from the contents of the kitchen :)

Tuesday October 14th - Block 2, week 2, session 2

Overhead squats, drop snatches and misc as snatch warmup
    Snatch: 2@28, 30, 32.5, 35, 37.5, 40 x 6 singles
    2 front squats and 1 jerk: 35, 40, 45, 50, 52.5, 55 x 2, 2 squats at 55 and missed jerk
    Front squats: 3@60, 3@64 x 3

Snatches were excellent today, 40 is a new weight for repeated singles and it felt great. Front squats and jerks were tough. Possibly a bit tired, been a hectic couple of weeks in terms of training, or possibly just ran out of carbs or something. I will probably reinstitute a scoop of RAM during training at the moment since I'm being pickier about the diet and eating a bit less overall.

Food:
    Meal 1: scrambled eggs and some pineapple
    Meal 2: cottage cheese, spoonful of flaked almonds, few chunks of pineapple, 2 crackers with goats cheese
    Meal 3: bowl of green curry with chicken and veg
    Pre-workout snack: 4 dates and a small fruit/nuts/seeds bar
    Post workout meal: bowl of green curry with chicken and veg, and some tiramisu.
    Late night munchies snack: goats cheese and 2 crackers

That's all grand, very green curry based but that's the joys of bulk cooking... should be gone tomorrow :)

Grub for today:
    Meal 1: 3 scrambled eggs, cucumber, 4 cherry tomatoes, small serving of fresh pineapple
    Meal 2: half tub cottage cheese, flaked almonds, fresh pineapple
    Meal 3: homemade protein flapjack
    Meal 4: green curry with chicken
    Meal 4.9: slice of multigrain toast and pate
    Meal 5: will be shepherd's pie made with mashed cauliflower instead of potato, and some broccoli.

And definitely no tiramisu :)

No training but some walking for active recovery, and hopefully some stretching and foam rolling later, ITB/hip flexors and back could use it.

Thursday 16th October - block 2, week 2, session 3

Snatch warmup - lots of light OHS and drop snatches to 25kg
    Snatch: 2@28, 2@30, 2@32.5, 2@35 x 5
    C+J: 35, 40, 45, 50, 53 x 6 singles
    Leg curls: 6@50, 6@55 x 3
    And 15 mins intervals on the bike.

Good day, nice weights to work with but nothing ridiculously heavy. Form consistent throughout, several sets actually passed without criticism at all from my coach (w00t!).

It turns out the competition I had thought was in 6 weeks has been moved to 2 weeks away. Gah. Weight currently 65kg, will try and compete in the 63s. I'll try and keep on an even keel next week as it'll be a heavy week's training and then see what I can drop waterwise etc on my backoff week. If I don't make it no stress really, nothing wrong with competing in the 69s.

Food was a major carbstravaganza from 11 to 3, the amount I had before training on Tuesday didn't quite seem to do the job, but today's did (had a great session). g'em will give out to me for having white bread etc instead of oats or at least wholegrain bread. And she's dead right. :)

Meal 1: scrambled eggs, cucumber, tomato
    Meal 2: cottage cheese, almonds, lots of pineapple
    Meal 3: small baguette with turkey, ham and brie (nyom)
    Meal 4: 4 dates, a nuts/seeds/berries bar, a milky way
    *training*
    Meal 5: no-spuds shepherds pie with broccoli and cauliflower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Meal 3: homemade protein flapjack

sounds nyom

Feel like sharing the love and sharing the recipe? :D

Edit: Thanks Brian. Doh :o:o:o:o

Three posts up ep.

You have to tolerate my bar-loading inadequacies so I'm really in no position to give out.

You have two weeks, that's plenty of time. Make them count.

Scrap the flapjacks, seriously, until after the competition. No sugar.

Pick your foods from the following food groups:
    All vegetables
    Eggs
    Lean meats
    Cheese
    Oats
    Brown Rice
    Nuts & nut oils
    Skimmed milk
    Natural (no flavoured) yoghurt
    Whey

Eat the above in bountiful supplies and you will get underweight without the stress of water manipulation come comp day.

Shocking neglect of my poor journal here. Busy week, had exams at weekend and also moved house, so there's the excuse!

Three sessions done this week so far.
    Monday tested clean and power jerk, worked up to 55kg and might be more there.
    Tuesday tested snatch, 3kg PR of 45kg (woot). Tried 46, missed due to catching it wrong but the strength is there.
    Thusday tested C+J, worked up to 61kg for a 3kg PR. Clean was a little ragged, my right side was lower when I caught. Jerk was caught very high. More there when I perfect those things!

Diet: weekend - very busy doing physical things and consequently very hungry, so basically whatever was in close proximity to my mouth. Rest of the week was much as usual, although definitely not perfect. Away this weekend too so will just have to do my best on it...

• Advertisement
Advertisement