Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions league Draw- Best and worst

• 28-08-2008 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭

The business end of the Champions league will start tonight with the draw for the competition proper

Looking at the pots there are some nasty teams in each pot.

So who do you want from each pot for your team

As usual the 32 sides are split into four seeding pots, with one from each being drawn into the eight groups, though no team can meet another from the same association. All four English clubs are included in Pot 1

Pot 1 Club
    1 Manchester United FC (ENG, holders)
    2 Chelsea FC (ENG)
    3 Liverpool FC (ENG)
    4 FC Barcelona (ESP)
    5 Arsenal FC (ENG)
    6 Olympique Lyonnais (FRA)
    7 FC Internazionale Milano (ITA)
    8 Real Madrid CF (ESP)

Pot 2 Club
    9 FC Bayern München (GER)
    10 PSV Eindhoven (NED)
    11 Villarreal CF (ESP)
    12 AS Roma (ITA)
    13 FC Porto (POR)
    14 Werder Bremen (GER)
    15 Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR)
    16 Juventus (ITA)

Pot 3 Club
    17 Olympique de Marseille (FRA)
    18 FC Zenit St. Petersburg (RUS)
    19 FC Steaua Bucureşti (ROU)
    20 Panathinaikos FC (GRE)
    21 FC Girondins de Bordeaux (FRA)
    22 Celtic FC (SCO)
    23 FC Basel 1893 (SUI)
    24 Fenerbahçe SK (TUR)

Pot 4 Club
    25 FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
    26 ACF Fiorentina (ITA)
    27 Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)
    28 FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
    29 CFR 1907 Cluj (ROU)
    30 Aalborg BK (DEN)
    31 Anorthosis Famagusta FC (CYP)
    32 FC BATE Borisov (BLR)

Good group
    Liverpool
    Eindhoven
    Celtic
    FC Bate

Hard Group
    Liverpool
    Bayern Munich
    Zenith St Petersburg
    Atletico Madrid

What do yous think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

As a Liverpool fan id say the harder the draw the better we play so i couldnt care who we got. As the team has proved in recent years we are a handfull for anyone in the European Cup so bring it on.
    If i was to pick some teams it would be
    Liverpool
    Porto
    Basel
    Aalborg BK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'd say united would just love Roma again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What time is it on at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

monkey9 wrote: »
    What time is it on at?

5pm I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

4:30 live on sky....I sure that means the draw is on at 5. I think rte.ie are doing a webcast too...

• Advertisement

As a Liverpool fan, the best would be:

Liverpool
    Sporting
    Basle
    FC BATE Borisov

The worst:

Liverpool
    Bayern Munich
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Atletico Madrid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

For Celtic - *fingers crossed*
    Lyon
    PSV
    Celtic
    Bate

Hard Group-
    Chelsea
    Bayern
    Fenerbache
    Kyiv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I can see the phrase "Good group/Bad Group on paper" being used a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I can see the phrase "Good group/Bad Group on paper" being used a lot.

I can see the phrase "easy draw for United AGAIN" used a lot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

as a gooner i'd be hoping for

Arsenal
    Sporting
    Steaua
    Anorthosis

and looking to avoid

Arsenal
    Bayern
    Zenit
    Fiorentina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Finally the real Champions League is back! It filled me with pain not to have a proper Champions League for two years.....how can teams like Barcelona and Man Utd take pride in of winning a trophy when the best team in the world was not allowed to participate due to conspiracy? On my book, the last two CL don't count. :cool:

Welcome back Old Lady!

juventus_4_1024x768.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Pwned^

Btw- Barca won it when Juve were participating, it was Milan and Utd you're thinking of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hmm would be great to see Mourinho go up against Celtic once more. :cool:

eZe^ wrote: »
    Pwned^

Btw- Barca won it when Juve were participating, it was Milan and Utd you're thinking of.

oh you are right, sorry....well then only the Man Utd one. I don't know any team called AC Milan....never heard of them, they must have been some charity-case team that got lucky once....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

TripleAce wrote: »
    oh you are right, sorry....well then only the Man Utd one. I don't know any team called AC Milan....never heard of them, they must have been some charity-case team that got lucky once....

Or maybe the club paid there way thanks to there **** of an owner or president:D Obviously Juve would stay away from bold things like that:P;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I disagree with the logic that says Zenith are the toughest team in pot 3. I think that for any of the English sidesl - the Celtic tie would be much more of a problem. Going to Glasgcow on a European night is incredibly intimidating - and they would be bursting themselves to do you in both games. Rather avoid that to be fair.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I disagree with the logic that says Zenith are the toughest team in pot 3. I think that for any of the English sidesl - the Celtic tie would be much more of a problem. Going to Glasgcow on a European night is incredibly intimidating - and they would be bursting themselves to do you in both games. Rather avoid that to be fair.

That's true. I just don't want to give Celtic any credibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Worst draw for any of the English clubs imo would be

<Insert English club here>
    Bayern Munich
    Celtic
    Fiorentina

Zenit will also not have Arshavin and Pavy, and they are struggling in the Russian league atm. They dont seem to be as strong as last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Liverpool to be in the same group as Roma ..... with all the liverpool old boys going there over the summer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

eZe^ wrote: »
    Zenit will also not have Arshavin and Pavy, and they are struggling in the Russian league atm. They dont seem to be as strong as last year.

They didn't have Pavy anyways, he's a Spartak Moscow player :p

My bad! I mean't Pogrebnyak! A couple of rumblings from Madrid sources saying he might be on their agenda if they can't bag Huntelaar!

Anybody know of any live feeds for the draw, other than the BBC text updates?

Smegball wrote: »

You can watch it on the RTE website

RTE website.

http://www.justin.tv/psn_2
    For anyone interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

They didn't have Pavy anyways, he's a Spartak Moscow player :p

Why does everyone think he's a Zenit player!? Argh!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Live on a link from http://www.Yahoo.co.uk - coverage from EuroSport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

CECH........ Keeper European Team of the Year
    ( UEFA CLUB KEEPER OF THE YEAR)

He was pretty good in the CL games last year tbf - even if I think the Shalke keeper was better on the whole. In any case, nice suit Petr!!

And the presenter woman is awesome imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Is this Tevez?:D

JOHN TERRY........ CLUB DEFENDER OF THE YEAR

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

And we have seen Ronaldo sitting beside Fergie so presumably he is midfielder of the year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

psv in d with pool

• Advertisement

LIVERPOOL GET PSV
    ARSENAL GET PORTO
    UTD GET VILLAREAL
    CHELSEA GET ROMA

LAMPARD.... Club Midfielder of the Year

A

Chelsea
    Roma
    Bordeaux
    CFR 1907 Cluj (ROM)

B

Inter Milan
    Werder Bremen
    Panathinaikos
    Anorthosis (CYP)

C

Barcelona
    Sporting Lisbon
    Basel
    Shaktar Donetsk

D

Liverpool
    PSV
    Marseille
    Athletico Madrid

E

Man Utd
    Villarreal
    Celtic
    Aalborg BK (DEN)

F

Lyon
    Bayern Munich
    Steaua Bucaresti
    Fiorentina

G

Arsenal
    Porto
    Fenerbache
    Dynamo Kiev

H

Real Madrid
    Juventus
    Zenit St. Petersburg
    BATE Borisov (BLR)

Easy draw for my Juve....I see we can pull 18 points here :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Champions League Draw

Group A: Chelsea, AS Roma, Bordeaux, Cfr Cluj
    Group B: Inter Milan, Werder Bremen, Panathinaikos, Anorthosis Famagusta
    Group C: Barcelona, Sporting Lisbon, FC Basel, Shaktar Donetsk
    Group D: Liverpool, PSV Eindhoven, Marseille, Atletico Madrid
    Group E: Manchester United, Villarreal, Celtic, Aalborg
    Group F: Lyon, Bayern Munich, Steaua Bucuresti, Fiorentina
    Group G: Arsenal, Porto, Fenerbache, Dynamo Kiev
    Group H: Real Madrid, Juventus, Zenit St Petersberg, Bate Borisov

As a MU fan i'm happy with their group looking forward to them playing Celtic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mousey007

I think Liverpool are going to be knocked out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Group - D
    Liverpool
    PSV
    Marseille
    Athletico Madrid
    Tough group, think that will be a good group to watch for the neutral, potentially good games in there, esp. Marseille v Liverpool at anfield again.

Group H should be scrappy enough as well with Juve and Real looking to return to cl glory.Think Inter have got off the lightest of the top seeds (now watch them implode on the European stage :p) As for utd & chelsea, cant see them not qualifying first from their respective groups, arsenal should qualify, but might find it a bit tougher. ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sorry as a side note, what in the world did Terry or Lampard do to get best defender and midfielder? The clear choice for defender is Ferdinand after his performances in the CL. Midfielder could go to lots of people, but Lampard? What the **** like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Lampard was pretty excellent against us in Stamford bridge to be fair. I know its not judged over one game.

but i get the feeling PHB you wouldnt have been happy unless the honours went to

VDS,Ferdinand,Scholes,Ronaldo.

There was nothing between Chelsea and Utd last year, except a slight slip. The awards reflect that to an extent.

Terry getting the award, i can understand. But Lampard getting it is a joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lampard was poor last season. His standards the previous seasons have been much much much higher.

How anyone can honestly say anybody but Ferdinand was the best defender in Europe last year is actually beyond me. Like, its beyond comprehension.

Fabregas would probably be my choice for midfielder, or Ballack (who was the better midfielder in the Chelsea team last year)
    Lampard is absurd.

Maybe, just maybe, the judges weren't all Utd fans cos it's only Utd fans moaning about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

monkey9 wrote: »
    Maybe, just maybe, the judges weren't all Utd fans cos it's only Utd fans moaning about this.

possibly because the other fans agree with the choices made or, maybe, possibly, they don't care so why would they moan about it.

Cech and Lampard I can actually get my head around (lampard scored in every round) but I don't think Terry was even the best defender in the Chelsea side. Sideshow was, and then Rio was better than both imo.

Even Cech though, while great, shipped some poor goals against Fener, didn't he? van der Saar did concede just two goals in the knock out phase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Cristiano Ronaldo, the pivotal figure in Manchester United FC's march to UEFA Champions League glory last season, had more to celebrate today after collecting the UEFA Club Footballer of the Year prize at the awards ceremony in Monaco. The Portuguese international forward was also selected as the Best Forward while there was some consolation for Chelsea FC, the side United overcame in Moscow in May, as Petr Čech, John Terry and Frank Lampard were nominated as Best Goalkeeper, Defender and Midfielder respectively.

Sensational season
    Ronaldo scored United's goal at the Luzhniki Stadium – his 42nd in all competitions in a prolific club campaign – and although he subsequently missed in the penalty shoot-out, United bounced back to become champions of Europe for the third time. It completed a sensational season for Ronaldo, who finished as the UEFA Champions League's eight-goal top scorer and also claimed the ESM Golden Shoe having struck 31 Premier League goals as United retained their title. The 23-year-old succeeds AC Milan's Kaká as the Club Footballer of the Year and is the second Portuguese international to land the prize after Deco in 2004. As he reflected upon the stars who had previously received the accolade, Ronaldo said: "It's a pleasure to be part of this magnificent group of players. To win this award is great for me and I feel very proud. The Champions League is a great level and to be one of the best players in it is great."

Forward accolade
    Ronaldo also becomes the second United player to take home the overall award after David Beckham in 1999, while Ruud van Nistelrooy was voted Best Forward while at Old Trafford in 2003. Asked what was the secret of his success, Ronaldo replied: "Work. I think Manchester had a great season and I scored many goals. I feel very proud to be the best forward as I played as a winger – it is very good for me and gives me more ambition to become better. Thanks to all my team-mates and those that voted for me."

Chelsea cheer
    Čech, meanwhile, beat off competition from United's Edwin van der Sar, Manuel Almunia, Manuel Neuer and Pepe Reina to lift the Best Goalkeeper gong for the second successive year and for the third time in total, having also been honoured in 2005. He was presented with his trophy by Peter Schmeichel, the winner of the inaugural prize in 1998. His abiding memory of the season was perhaps his role in the UEFA Champions League final penalty shoot-out. He said: "Of course it was difficult because it was only up to me and the five players who would shoot. But I tried to remember what I had seen from the videos I'd watched and what I'd talked about with other goalkeepers. This is what was going through my mind."

Terry honoured
    Terry, who was handed his award by Franco Baresi, had been voted Best Defender in 2005, but was no less delighted about his latest silverware. "For me personally it's an amazing achievement," he said, adding: "To be a great defender you need a lot of attributes – to be quick, strong, good in the air and you also need plenty of great team-mates around you and I'm very lucky to have that." One of those colleagues, Lampard, became the first Chelsea player – and only the second English-based footballer after Beckham nine years ago – to take the midfield plaudits, given out by Sir Bobby Charlton. He said: "It feels very good. When you see the players that you're up against, there are some world-class players there. I've been up for the award for three years now so it's nice to finally win it."

Well done Cristiano Ronaldo

PHB wrote: »
    Lampard was poor last season. His standards the previous seasons have been much much much higher.

How anyone can honestly say anybody but Ferdinand was the best defender in Europe last year is actually beyond me. Like, its beyond comprehension.

Fabregas would probably be my choice for midfielder, or Ballack (who was the better midfielder in the Chelsea team last year)
    Lampard is absurd.

I would have given the midfield gig to Ballack. Fabregas might have been great in the EPL - but he was poor in both legs against Liverpool in the quarter final imo. Wheras Ballack was superb all the way through the knockout stages.

And god bless a variation of opinions - when the nominations were being announced I fully expected Terry's name to be called. He had an edge over every other player in the competition from the games I saw. Seems like the coaches of teams in the competition agreed with that viewpoint.

Chelsea and Utd were equally as good in the competition and the cup winners was decided on a coinflip. As such, it makes sense that the awards were up for grabs from players from BOTH teams.

• Advertisement
Advertisement