Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price of home heating oil

Options
  • 28-08-2008 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

I need to order home heating oil - I use kerosene - usually use Bennetts Oil in Ballyneety, find that they are usually good. they are quoting 75 cents exc vat at present per litre. It has been priced much higher during the summer as the price of oil went crazy. Then it went down. They are telling me that the prices will go up again on Friday.
    So, should I order now at this price, or take the risk that the prices will start going up again?
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

I heard today that Naughtons in Annacotty are €0.81 a litre - not sure if that includes VAT.

I got oil from East Clare oil in March and it was €0.84 a litre including the VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

banjobongo wrote: »
    I need to order home heating oil - I use kerosene - usually use Bennetts Oil in Ballyneety, find that they are usually good. they are quoting 75 cents exc vat at present per litre. It has been priced much higher during the summer as the price of oil went crazy. Then it went down. They are telling me that the prices will go up again on Friday.
    So, should I order now at this price, or take the risk that the prices will start going up again?
    Any ideas?

impossible to say

it usually gets dear nov/dec & often drops in march/ apr

I would chance ordering , don;t think it will get much cheaper in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

How much would ye normally spend a year on oil? I'm just comparing. I usually spend about €600-€700. A friend of mine told me he would spend only €400. Am I using up too much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Donkey Kong

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    How much would ye normally spend a year on oil? I'm just comparing. I usually spend about €600-€700. A friend of mine told me he would spend only €400. Am I using up too much?

depends on size of house, temp setting and how well insultated.
    I got a fill 850 litres for 750 - kersone. Not sure how good that is but I expect the huricane in the golf will send prices upwards in the next days.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Pure Mule

Quotes in yesterday's Times from 830 upwards per 1000 litres. Click on emo oil & get a quote

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Limerick fan

I spent 3,500 on kerosene last year - be warned, never, ever, ever get an Aga unless you have a bottomless pit for a bank account!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Got my oil on Friday, €570 for 680 litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

Don't be afraid to shop around. If you get a quote, ask them for their best price, Most will move. especially if you tell them you are a regular customer.
    If you and your neighbours can agree to get a fill or top up at the same time then they become very interested.

Wholesale Prices are falling and the Retailers know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Bennett Oil quoted me 78c per litre, does that sound good. Emo seem to be more or less the same. Wondering is it worth holding off another week or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

Bennett's oil just gave me a quote there for 65cents per litre inc Vat when ordering over 1000litres. seems now is the time to buy heating oil. prices could go up after opecs meeting tommorow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

Tockman wrote: »
    Bennett's oil just gave me a quote there for 64cents per litre when ordering over 1000litres. seems now is the time to buy heating oil. prices could go up after opecs meeting tommorow.

Before or after VAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

65c inc VATis very good, got it a couple of weeks ago from Bennet Oil at 78c. Knew we should have waited, but my boyfriend was convinced we'd run out :rolleyes: They came when they said they would too and rang the day before like I asked them too, would recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

63c per litre inc VAT from Naughtons Annacotty

Looks like prices may go up with that OPEC meeting today

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

For those that may be considering ordering soon...did some phoning around today...

1000 litres including VAT....

EMO Oil 56c/l (and delivered today)
    Corrib Oil 59c/l
    Suttons Oil/Top Oil/Corrib Oil 60c/l
    Thomand Oil 61c/l

Got one quote for 63c/l....€70 difference between that and EMO for 1000l for fecks sake

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

€400 wou'dn't do a year. i'd prob spend the same as you. 650- 750 a year i'd say. From Tara Oil. I don't know the price they quote but I saty loyal to them because they came out to us on christmas eve about 2 years ago which was very sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Bennett Oil

500ltrs = €283.00 Today

0.566c per litre :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

0.54 cent a litre with Tara Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭georgem25

What are prices like recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

600 l Kerosene cost me €290 with Tara Oil in Mid Feb. Thats about 48.33c/l

georgem25 wrote: »
    What are prices like recently?
    I got 150 euro worth of oil in december and it lasted exactly one month. tara oil said that that was actually not bad compared to others.
    I have since moved out to a gas heated house and got my first bill. it was 80 euro for 2 months. MASSIVE difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

TheLoc wrote: »
    I got 150 euro worth of oil in december and it lasted exactly one month. tara oil said that that was actually not bad compared to others.
    I have since moved out to a gas heated house and got my first bill. it was 80 euro for 2 months. MASSIVE difference.

That seems crazy. We live in a standard suburban semi. We use 1800 litres of oil a year.

At the price we were charged mid-Feb, it costs us roughly €870 per year. We will often have our heating on all day. During the really cold spell in Feb we had it on overnight a few times.

yea we were the same beanie. esspecially over chistmas it was cold. we had it 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. in between I might throw it on for an hour or two and then light a fire at night. I couldn't believe the price. gas on the other hand heats up the house a lot quicker. I have to say I would never go back to oil again. its lovely to have gas so cheap and the house is constantly hot. An interesting question would be how much would it cost to convert a home from oil to gas? I'd say an absolute fortune but in the long run it would probably be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 P Davis

try www.boilerjuice.ie i got a good quote from them before their quoteing 420 for 1000 liters in wexford

P Davis wrote: »
    try www.boilerjuice.ie i got a good quote from them before their quoteing 420 for 1000 liters in wexford

I tried this but they dont have any quotes for Clare or Limerick

What are prices like at the moment? I need to fill up before the winter

Prices seem to be coming down at the moment after the big increases over the last few months. Naughtons appear to be the cheapest charging 50c litre incl vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Thanks George - that reminded me to order some.
    Naughton's always seem to be a good price - could be dreaming but their oil seems to last longer too?

50c - down from 90c last year! Ordered 600 litres (tank is empty), wondering if I should have gone for a full fill (which I think is 900 litres) at that price?

Anybody know if drivers can give you more on the day than your order

They are usually flexible about the amount you can take, I have never had any problems getting more than I ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I know someone in the trade and he reckons now is the time to get your tank filled. Prices will only start to go back up again in the next few weeks, so he advised me to get mine topped up now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

50 or 51 c/ltr including vat from cosgraves last week for kero.

Advertisement