Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

which is better- Petrol or Diesel??

Options
  • 28-08-2008 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

which of the two has more € per litre, is more environmental friendly, runs smoother with a car and all that im clueless about diesel and petrol!

what are the advantages and disadvantages of both? :)

colly :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Diesel:

More expensive to buy but results in higher mpg, and significantly cheaper to run (about 25%).

Diesel cars tend to be more expensive than their petrol counterparts

More torque

Less refined than petrol engines

Low revving

Petrol:

Smoother

More expensive to run

Considered sportier

Higher revving

Quieter

Lower resale value

Cheaper to buy a petrol car initially

Which to choose depends on the car, and how many miles per annum you will do.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 collywolly123

okay thanks!
    im looking to buy a peugeot 307 2003 year
    and ive seen quite a few diesel around wasnt sure whether to check them out or not,
    ill mostly be driving to and from college about 6 miles away every day and the same apx on weekends, not much driving really?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I wouldn't of thought that they were that much cheaper to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If you're college age, I'd think a good place to start would be by getting a quote for each from your insurance company. Diesels tend to be higher cc than the equivelant petrol so that may affect your premium and make your mind up for you...

I wouldn't of thought that they were that much cheaper to run.

They are - if you get 600km out of a tank of petrol, you'll get 1,000km out of a tank of diesel. That makes a big difference to running costs.

• Advertisement

ahh the insurance and all that dosnt matter its getting taken care of, but ill be paying for my own petrol so whichever is cheaper to run really,
    is a diesel or a petrol engine more relilable?

Will you be paying for the car yourself? If so, the fact that you are doing such low miles may well mean a petrol is the cheaper option. Regarding reliability, I suppose diesels tend to go on for longer as they rev so much lower but there is also the turbo, an added component that can cause trouble. You buying new or used?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

it all depends on what petrol/ diesel car your talking about. i had a 1L ibiza and would generally get 390miles per 40L tank. now have a passat TDI, and get 650miles per 60L tank. now taking into account the price difference between petrol v diesel, the passat is only slightly ahead in terms of being cheaper.
    another thing to note, diesels need servicing more frequently.
    however, it might be a different story if your talking about a 1.6L petrol v. 1.9tdi. in that case, id say the petrol would be alot more expensive to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

AudiChris wrote: »
    They are - if you get 600km out of a tank of petrol, you'll get 1,000km out of a tank of diesel.
    the difference isnt that big:

A4 2.0tdi does 5.5l/100km combined
    A4 1.8tfsi does 7.1l/100km combined

55 litres of diesel will do 1,000km in the diesel and 55 litres of unleaded will get the petrol 775km.

Mr.David wrote: »
    Will you be paying for the car yourself? If so, the fact that you are doing such low miles may well mean a petrol is the cheaper option. Regarding reliability, I suppose diesels tend to go on for longer as they rev so much lower but there is also the turbo, an added component that can cause trouble. You buying new or used?

yeah getting the car myself but tax and insurance and everything else will be paid for by my da,
    so if i was to do as i do now, fill up the tank every week ultimately it will cost less with the diesel? i would get more kph per litre?

• Advertisement

yeah getting the car myself but tax and insurance and everything else will be paid for by my da,
    so if i was to do as i do now, fill up the tank every week ultimately it will cost less with the diesel? i would get more kph per litre?

Yes your fuel costs will be less definitely. But the car will cost more than the petrol version. Overall though, for a 307 anyway I think the diesel is a better choice, and although more expensive to buy it will also hold its value better.

k cool thanks !:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

VH wrote: »

55 litres of diesel will do 1,000km in the diesel and 55 litres of unleaded will get the petrol 775km.

Quick bit of maths off those figures gives a cost/km of:

€0.0715 per km for the 2.0 TDI
    €0.088 per km for the 1.8 TFSI

*taking into account petrol/diesel prices at the local filling station*

Thanks VH. I may experience a larger difference because I drive a petrol differently than a diesel, I enjoy letting the engine get up the rev range to where it's making nice noises.

The figures don't lie though. If we could get the equivalent figures for the OP's two cars, then we'd really be smokin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

There is no 1.8TFSI (well there is, but it's not available yet so lets not compare it), only 2.0TFSI and 3.2FSI, because the 2l alone is 197-216bhp, the 1.8 however is 160bhp.. then you have the 2.0TDI which is 167bhp and a crazy torque figure which I can't remember off hand. So you're getting a diesel car which is just as quick and has better fuel economy. I know which one I'd be buying..... A bloody RS4*!! :P

*I will have one someday!

What car are you talking about Dave147? I'm confused.

OP, what cars are you looking at? We'll go around in circles without more info.

What car are you talking about Dave147? I'm confused.

OP, what cars are you looking at? We'll go around in circles without more info.

The B7 A4's, the fact that the 1.8T and the 2.0TDI are almost identical in performance but the diesel would have far better economy.. I think I went off rambling about something stupid aswell lol :P

Dave147 wrote: »
    The B7 A4's, the fact that the 1.8T and the 2.0TDI are almost identical in performance but the diesel would have far better economy.. I think I went off rambling about something stupid aswell lol :P

Cool :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I get around 420/430 miles from a full tank with my 1.8 mondeo zetec.

costs around 55/60 to fill her up.

I get around 420/430 miles from a full tank with my 1.8 mondeo zetec.

costs around 55/60 to fill her up.

Petrol I presume? That sounds really good. What size is the tank? And is that from brim to running on fumes or until the fuel light comes on?

• Advertisement

What are you driving AudiChris? Do you work with Audi or just a general enthusiast? I'll be looking for a 00 B5 1.8TQS sometime in the next 6 months, can hardly wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

There is no 1.8TFSI (well there is, but it's not available yet so lets not compare it),
    I took the base model petrol and base model diesel from audi.ie, that's all

I took the base model petrol and base model diesel from audi.ie, that's all

Lol, take no notice of me :)

What are you driving AudiChris? Do you work with Audi or just a general enthusiast? I'll be looking for a 00 B5 1.8TQS sometime in the next 6 months, can hardly wait!

I work in an Audi garage, so I drive different stuff. I'm a kind of an enthusiast too, but not an anorak :p.

1.8T quattro - nice! First step on the rung to RS :cool:.

I work in an Audi garage, so I drive different stuff. I'm a kind of an enthusiast too, but not an anorak :p.

1.8T quattro - nice! First step on the rung to RS :cool:.

Exactly, well I'd be an enthusiast but definitely want to work in them sooner or later.. Tied up with working for my dad at the moment but I'll just keep gaining more and more knowledge :) Yeah I took the first step to the RS 3 years ago when I got my first one, hooked now and hopefully before I'm 25 I'll at least have the S4.

Advertisement