Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henrik Larsson "considering" return to EPL

• 28-08-2008 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

SSN are reporting this, it's in the yellow infobar as Breaking News. Has three offers apparently.

SSN say it's not Villa.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

One's defo Sunderland I'd say.

There not doing this just to up there market in Ireland though:rolleyes::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Sunderland is a good guess. I'd wager Hull might be one of them as well, they're apparently in dire need of striker. I'm not sure who else - Man Utd or Man City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

"And Larsson fixes the radio!!!"

I dont think ther is anyone who doesnt like the guy.
    Apart from Rangers fans maybe.

Still happy to have seen him in his early years for my favourites in Holland although he didnt have a great goalscoring record back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Bebratov deal stalls and Utd move for Larsson..? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

not good enough anymore. not even nearly.

• Advertisement

tongue-in-cheek, jeez lighten up

Just pointing it out. A lot of people including Utd fans will try and say he is.

NEVER in my life have a seen a player more over-rated over such a short period of time as he was at Utd.

He could do a job for the newly promoted teams and maybe one or two others but shouldnt be anywhere near a club with aspirations for doing well in any competition.

I'd put my money on Sunderland too.

I think he did a job at Utd when he played those few games. Perhaps the impact he made was overstated, it was still an effective signing imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

hull could really do with him alright. fagan has been doing well for them 2 assists in 2 games, but they need a finisher up there as an alternative to King and i dont think folan is good enough really.

• Advertisement

I think he did a job at Utd when he played those few games. Perhaps the impact he made was overstated, it was still an effective signing imo

the job he did at Utd could have been done by a host of ****e strikers.

Larsson's too old now anyways to come back to the Prem and make any sort of reasonable impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

inforfun wrote: »
    "And Larsson fixes the radio!!!"

That's a fabulous youtube video!!!

He's also been linked with Celtic again, I would die of happiness if he comes back to us... even if it doesn't work out. I have man feelings for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    NEVER in my life have a seen a player more over-rated over such a short period of time as he was at Utd.

But he did a good job at United, played well for most of the games. 3 goals in 7 games was it, wasnt bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Report said 3 clubs interested not VILLA or UTD,

My picks
    FULHAM
    BOLTON
    WEST HAM

Trilla wrote: »
    But he did a good job at United, played well for most of the games. 3 goals in 7 games was it, wasnt bad...

13 games. 3 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Well if its a short term contract, I would hazard that Newcastle are one of those teams given the fact that Oba, Viduka, Carroll, and Ameobi are all injured, Alan Smith is Alan Smith, and St. Micheal could collapse at any given moment.

I would be happy enough to bring him as a stop gap (until we can see whats available in January) as it seems that there a few decent strikers on the market at the moment, and our days of desperation signings seems to be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

not good enough anymore. not even nearly.

Maybe you haven't seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg0khHTaem0

When you are brilliant, your always brilliant. Would make any prem team, i hope he just comes back to Celtic.

MOG7 wrote: »
    When you are brilliant, your always brilliant.

using that logic why dont Utd sign up Charlton again? or Liverpool Dalglish maybe?

dont be so silly.

using that logic why dont Utd sign up Charlton again? or Liverpool Dalglish maybe?

dont be so silly.

lol i can't believe you used an example like that and told me not to be silly.

He's only 36, nearly 37 ye, but even at that age its nothing to him, at 38 i seen Maldini train with Milan doing sprints and he was still the quickest, ahead of kaka even.

And even if Larsson doesn't bang in as many goals the lift he will bring to any club and the knowledge he has in priceless, even Eto'o says he learned more from Larsson than anyone else ever!

• Advertisement

Then bring him in as a couch. he doesnt offer enough as a player anymore.

3 games in 13 games is far worse than Andriy Voronin for example. And this came in a free scoring,ultimate football, manchester utd team.

Did you even look at the clip of his goal? If thats someone you retire as a player and make a coach your worse than Stan.

Also it was 3 goals in 11 games! Less than 10 in the league which meant he didn't get a medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Everton or Bolton i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Then bring him in as a couch. he doesnt offer enough as a player anymore.

3 games in 13 games is far worse than Andriy Voronin for example. And this came in a free scoring,ultimate football, manchester utd team.

Larsson isn't just a goalscorer though. His technical ability is beyond many other strikers around and to be honest I'd have him back on a free at United - even if it was only to bring him on for the last 15 minutes of games.

Overrated at United? Not really. He provided a free running striker and opened gaps for Rooney and Ronaldo to score. It wasn't just about goals.

Oh and you might remember, we won the league that year.

Newsflash lads. He's another two years older now:rolleyes:

No matter what he did at United he'd be a waste to bring in as a player.

All this talk seems to reminds me of something, ye ye thats it, when Larsson was at Celtic and we all raved about him, everyone say "oh well anybody could score in Scotland" etc. etc.

And he went and proved with Barca and Utd how good he is.

I hope he comes back and proves all of ye wrong again.

he scored 3 goals in 13 apps for Utd, that is POOR, when he came to England he was too old, i think he could have done it in his priem, but we'll never know.

when we saw him in the PL, he was AT BEST ....... average.

he scored 3 goals in 13 apps for Utd, that is POOR, when he came to England he was too old, i think he could have done it in his priem, but we'll never know.

when we saw him in the PL, he was AT BEST ....... average.

So why did Alex Ferguson try do everything in his power to extend his load contract, oh maybe he likes winning leagues with average players. As said it wasn't about his goals, he free'd up Rooney nad Ronaldo and he wasn't even playing as a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I love Larsson, he was a thorough professional, and was arguably the best off the bench striker in the world when he was playing for Barca. I can't think of many 2nd string strikers ever with his quality. He always made an impact, never complained, and helped share his experience with youngsters like Messi and Iniesta. Unfortunately, I do think he is past playing at the highest possible level now though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sunderland is probably a good shout... I hope he goes to them, for the sake of nostalgia :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Everton ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Why are people constantly plumming up Sunderland? They have Jones, Chopra, Murphy, Cisse, Healy, and Diouf on their books. A striker is the last position they need strengthening at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Why are people constantly plumming up Sunderland? They have Jones, Chopra, Murphy, Cisse, Healy, and Diouf on their books. A striker is the last position they need strengthening at the moment.

A 36 year old Larsson is still better than all of them though.

Please come back to Celtic Henke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

I can't see him going to Sunderland. Like Charlie said they have loads of strikers as it is. I still think that his experience would be invaluable for 1 of the promoted sides in a playing/coaching role. If 39 year old Dean Windass can get game time at Hull I'm sure a 36/37 year old Larsson would still be a significant upgrade, even if used sparingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Ah he may sign for Liverpool if they can afford him:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

eZe^ wrote: »
    That video is amazing. Shivers down the spine at the end.

That 3 in 11 for United should be 5 out of 11 by the way as he had 2 perfectly good goals ruled out for offside afair. ;) Larsson doesn't need to score to be the most influential player on the pitch though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Larsson doesn't need to score to be the most influential player on the pitch though.

QFT, CL final being the perfect example.

ziggy wrote: »

i agree, he is not.

Would take voronin,Ngog and Nemeth over Henrik at the moment.

Celtic fans here needn't be getting offended, in his day, he was among the best on the planet, irregardless of the league he was playing in. his day is now very much in the past though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If you had to name a team tonight and you had to choose between those 4, Henrik would definately start.

I'd start Larrsons Granny before Voronin

• Advertisement

If Benitez signed Larsson, i have a feeling some (scouse fans) would be saying what a great signing it is.

i have no doubt some would. I on the other hand wouldnt.

Boggles: your opinions mean nowt, you'd pick Nani ahead of Silva in a team tonight if you had the choice, enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Of course he will not do that. Some people just just cannot remove the blinkers. I think Larsson played his best days at Celtic, his next was Barcelona and then MU. He is a bit older now but that does not mean he has lost the intelligent play and link up play that is just as important as scuffing the ball into the net from 5 yards.

Football is not all about the goal per game ratio. I think Larsson was very effective at Man Utd even if some others do not think so.

ziggy wrote: »

its 13 appearances as far as i know (according to ESPN stats which is very accurate usually)

but Keane/Larrson debate, not really relevant. Keane is in the peak of his career. Larrsons peak about 5/6/7 years ago.

also in answer to your q, i would be disappointed if Keane only got 3 goals in his first 13 apps. but i'd be willing to bear with him as he has a number of years in front of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

****ing hell some of the attitudes here. I'm guessing no one watched the Sweden games in Euro 2008 where Larsson along with Ibrahimovic were the only ones capable of doing anything?

Larsson hasn't relied on the physical side of his game for over 5 years. his strength was always his intelligence and movement; that was the Larsson that came on and won the Champions League for Barca. that's the side of his game that still remains. he doesn't need to be a world class athlete to be able to contribute. He no doubt is past the point of starting games, but at the same time he'd still be able to make a more than decent contribution off the bench i'd say for nearly every team outside of the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Id be playing him for United ahead of Frazier Campbell at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

If you took the best attributes of those 3 players and put them together Larsson would still be a better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Boggles: your opinions mean nowt, you'd pick Nani ahead of Silva in a team tonight if you had the choice, enough said.

No, I would play Nani on the left and Silva on the right, I wouldn't have to choose.

But those 2 players were not being debated, where they? My point was I would play Larsson ahead the 3 sub standard players you mentioned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement