Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: St. Pat's -v- Elfsborg

• 28-08-2008 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭

As I said in the other thread, this deserves one on its own.

Kick off in Richmond Park is 7:45.

Have me own match so can't go.

Pat's don't concede there through. Simple:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

SantryRed wrote: »
    As I said in the other thread, this deserves one on its own.
    If you say so!
    Pat's don't concede there through.
    True, and on a positive note, these lads don't seem to score too many; only 25 goals in 19 league games. Of course, they've only conceded 7!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

0-0 then?

Mike.

I think if Pats score first, that should be enough to see them through. I hope they don't try and hold on for a 0-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'm looking forward to my visit to St Pats.:D

I'm looking forward to a nice handy draw against Pompey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm not so sure this is gonna be as straightforward as people seem to think. Pat's got a great result over there a fortnight ago, but in general their away form as been pretty good this season. It's the home form that has let us down. All three league defeats have been at Richmond Park.
    Jamie Harris is out through suspension tonight which is a bit of a blow.
    I hope Quigley does it for us tonight. He ran amok in Sweden and i reckon he can get a crucial goal. It's gonna be nervy though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is the draw already made for the next round? :confused:

I wouldn't be looking forward to a visit to that hole of a kip. You do be eating your knees in the away section.

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'm not so sure this is gonna be as straightforward as people seem to think.
    I don't think anyone is under the impression that it's going to be straightforward, but Pats have got themselves into a good position and it would be very disappointing if they didn't take advantage and progress.
    Des wrote: »
    I wouldn't be looking forward to a visit to that hole of a kip. You do be eating your knees in the away section.
    If Pats make the next round, they won't be able to use Richmond - it doesn't meet the necessary UEFA requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It'll have to be the RDS so.

Does the RDS meet UEFA's standards for UEFA Cup proper??

• Advertisement

I'd say so. If not, where will yous go? Tolka?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Is the draw already made for the next round? :confused:
    just wishful thinking so far.
    that's fine, it'll be just like the Milton End then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

RDS is unavailable cause there is a Rugby game on the next night. Read that in the Indo i think...

So Tolka it is:p

Yep.
    ibh wrote: »
    RDS is unavailable cause there is a Rugby game on the next night. Read that in the Indo i think...
    Yeah, but only if Pats are due to play the first leg at home - I think it can be switched if necessary. The Indo are making a great big deal over nothing to be honest:
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/eircom-league/saints-have-grounds-for-concern-as-swede-success-could-force-trip-to-britain-1464494.html

Let's just concentrate on tonight anyway!

From rte.ie Thursday, 28th August, 2008

St Patrick's Athletic's strength in depth will be tested to the full tonight as the Inchicore club stand on the brink of a place in the first round proper of the UEFA Cup.

John McDonnell's side host IF Elfsborg, currently second in the Swedish First Division, at Richmond Park this evening, kick-off 7.45pm, knowing that their fate is in their own hands after securing an amazing 2-2 draw in the away leg two weeks ago.

However, McDonnell's resources will be tested to the limit as he must contend without his regular first choice centre back pairing of Jamie Harris and Joe O'Cearruill, both of whom miss out through suspension.

However, in the fit again Stephen Paisley and recent recruit Jason Gavin, McDonnell knows he has two of the country's top centre-halves and their partnership should ensure that the absence of captain Harris and O'Cearruill does not hinder their chances of progress. Indeed, Gavin has been particularly impressive since his arrival from Drogheda United.

Elsewhere, Dessie Byrne joins Paisley in the squad after making a full recovery from injury, although John Murphy (back), Derek O'Brien and Glen Fitzpatrick (both ankle) are causing some concern ahead of the tie.

The game is expected to be a 3,000 sell-out, but McDonnell stressed how difficult the task ahead of his team was despite the advantage of those two away goals, courtesy of Mark Quigley and Gary Dempsey, which means even a scoreless or 1-1 draw would be enough for his side to advance.

Speaking to The Irish Times, he admitted: 'I'd stress that it's going to be difficult, but if we get through this round the next game will probably be the most important game in the history of Pat's.'

'I think the profile of the club definitely gets a lift and it's great for everyone; me, the players, the people that work at the club and the fans, especially. It's great for everyone.

'The (UEFA) co-efficient for the league is very important as well and if we could get through it would be fantastic.'

With quality players like Swedish international midfielders Anders Svensson and Stefan Ishizaki, Pat's will have their work cut out against Magnus Haglund's side.

But although a low-scoring draw would be enough for his side to progress, McDonnell insisted he would not be playing for the draw, and he will be hoping to add to their 2-0 home defeat to Örebro at the weekend which sees them trail leaders Kalmar by five points.

He added: 'Absolutely not. There is too much at stake. We can't be hanging on. We've definitely got to try to score.'

A limited number of tickets went on sale from the club office this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Why isn't this game being televised?

Cos RTE TV3 TG4 and Setanta are witless?

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats the score? I cant ven find the match listed with the rest on the Uefa site.

Skysports have it listed like it hasnt started (just 19:45 where the score should be)

EDIT 0-0 found it on another live score site.

Crap 0-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

0-1

edit wrong thread! :o

Mike.

Bollocks.

Anyone got an RTE radio link?

Can't find it.
    EDIT: Got it.

I found it on ntl. Rte Radio 1 extra. Never even knew that was there.

Glen Fitz on.
    Anyone sense a Lille coming on?

GoaLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Mike

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL:D

Argie Bargie now apparently.:D

1-1 well done:)

• Advertisement

Hold on to the fckin ball!

Jason Gavin.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

Hold on to the fckin ball!

And to the corner!!

2-1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I dont think the rte commentators understand how away goal work, Apparently they are now certain to go through, no doubt about it. Eh lads, if Elfsborg score it;s extra time.

GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

Mark Quigley you fckin hero.

Fair play Pats:eek:

mike65 wrote: »
    0-0 then?

Mike.

No wonder my bets are crap!

Well done St Pats. A smash and grab ;)

Mike

• Advertisement

Thats it. Pats through.

Late 2nd goal means co-efficient ++

Jesus.

Fair play.

Milan in the next round eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Well done Pats! :D

Congratulations St.Pats,hope they can go into group stage and give Ireland more football to watch;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

As much as I hate the runts, fair play. It's great to see finally out of Cork, Shels and now Pats one team has actually made it.:D

• Advertisement

Gav.

We played in the 1st round before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

fantastic!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Yup, vs Lille, I got the rain-soaking of my life at that game IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Congratulations to St Pats.

Great news for the co-efficient. We must have improved on this years position now with Pats and Drogheda both doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Well done Pats. Good result. Is it only 1 more round before the group stage ? That would be some achievement. Is there a group stage this year ?, remember they were discussions about it last year.

EDIT (changes are for next year):
    On November 30, 2007 UEFA decided to introduce a new format for the UEFA Cup for the three-year cycle, starting in the season 2009-10. The biggest change is that there will be a group stage with 12 groups of 4 (in a double round robin) instead of 8 groups of 5. Apart from that, the qualification will change significantly.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Well done Pats. Good result. Is it only 1 more round before the group stage ? That would be some achievement. Is there a group stage this year ?, remember they were discussions about it last year.

Yes there is group stage this year,but they will change this 8 groups with 5 teams format into CL format next year i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Gav.

soma wrote: »

:o:o Forgot about that, remember it like it was yesterday and was on TV at the end with my dad and bro under an umbrella.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Great result for Pats, hopefully they get a decent draw in the next round now and progress onto the group stages.
    Wonder if RTÉ will get on the bandwagon now ?

soma wrote: »

Loser, I got right in under the stand. No braving the elements for me. :D

I remember the crazy French doing a congo. They cut that out sharpish when they conceeded mind.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Is the next round draw seeded ? Any list of possible opponents yet ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement