Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired and Emotional

Options
  • 28-08-2008 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

You know when you're having just one of those days, where you seem to be on the brink of tears?

What do you do to cheer yourself up? Or do you give in and have a cry to get it out of system?

I had a good morning today, did a really good job interview. Have a surgeon's appointment this evening and rang the hospital to get directions. I was told it's the private hospital, and then she said goodbye and hung up while I was mid sentence- tears flooded my eyes because some rude wagon hung up on me- how ridiculous!

I like to have a glass of wine and watch a good movie to take my mind off things. Or else go for a brisk walk!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Products%5C140%5C285%5C9780140285260_m_f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Windsock- have you seen the Blackbooks where Bill Bailey swallows the Little Book of Calm and becomes a Jesus-like figure of wisdom? Oh to be that calm...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Fletch123 wrote: »
    Windsock- have you seen the Blackbooks where Bill Bailey swallows the Little Book of Calm and becomes a Jesus-like figure of wisdom? Oh to be that calm...

Hahaha that was hilarious... "You're a loose lily floating down an amber river..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

I tend to curl up, have a good cry and then find a favourite book or filml and curl up into myself. Coming up towards my period I find I cry at every little thing. OH doesn't text me back, I cry. Oh and chocolate also helps!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Fletch123 wrote: »

''Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it''

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Just reminding me of that episode has cheered me up no end :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Find someone cuddly and hug them.

Or if theres no one cuddly around, eat chocolate and watch a funny chick flick.

And at least know that we all get them days and a good old weep does no one any harm.

*virtual fuzzy hug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭capedcrustacian

poor you, there is nothing worse than when you are in that mood and nobody, including yourself, understands why.

2 days ago my boss asked me how i was and i broke down crying, ended up sitting in his office for an hour blubbering about everything right down to my housemates not flushing the toilet aftyer themselves, the poor man will never ask me how i am again!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

just cry. i find i feel a million times better once ive gotten the crappy emotions out :)
    (although if youre feeling like this in work or somewhere public crying might not be the best option..)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Cry I guess (and chocs, wine etc) :D

I've been a bit miserable this week but I was in better form yesterday, or so I thought :o Until I went to see that film 'The Visitor' and ended up roaring my eyes out in the cinema, so mortified! Had a headache going home an' all :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I know that feeling well, has not happened to me for a while though.

One particularly bad morning, I was standing in the kitchen talking to my Mam while pouring out a bowl of cereal. I went to pour the milk inand only then did I realise I had actually poured my cereal into a glass rather than a bowl. That was enough to set me off, I was sobbing for a good ten minutes or so, my Mam thought there was something seriously wrong. :p

Best cure is a movie in bed with tea, then an early night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Bijoux

I had a day like that today.

My cure?

Chocolate biscuits, cough sweets, lying on the couch and watch VH1's Nineties Marathon.

Ah nineties music cures everything :D

These moods can be so irrational and random. Isnt it embarrassing when you break down in front of someone and faced with their shock and real concern, when they ask what on earth is wrong, you have to say 'I spilt my breakfast' or 'my sandwich fell apart'. Its just these things are the straw that breaks the camels back when you feel lousy, but you feel so daft trying to explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

OK so here's the killer point. What happens when this occurs and the only one present is a man, not your OH, just a friend but not a very close one.

What do you expect him to do? Should I hug a girl who's crying because her sandwich fell apart? Should I go and get her a new sandwich? Should I not do anything? Should I leave?

I hate seeing girls crying and when it's something major a hug or a shoulder is the best thing to offer. But in the face of a sandwich or breakfast emergency I don't know whether it's appropriate to hug a girl who I know but not that well. Whats a guy to do like?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 xshazarx

Book a massage/nails/hair/tan....call ur girls and head out or have a girly nite in...best therapy ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm having one of those days. One of those weeks actually. The slightest thing will set me off.

I tend to go for a drive with the music blaring, or if I'm lazy I just grab a blanket and lie on the couch for a few hours.

The best cure is when someone who always cheers you up calls unexpectedly. That always makes me happy again.

I'm so glad I'm not alone with these crap days!

Drift wrote: »
    OK so here's the killer point. What happens when this occurs and the only one present is a man, not your OH, just a friend but not a very close one.

What do you expect him to do? Should I hug a girl who's crying because her sandwich fell apart? Should I go and get her a new sandwich? Should I not do anything? Should I leave?

I hate seeing girls crying and when it's something major a hug or a shoulder is the best thing to offer. But in the face of a sandwich or breakfast emergency I don't know whether it's appropriate to hug a girl who I know but not that well. Whats a guy to do like?!!!
    Do not attempt to fix anything, at first anyway. Do not offer solutions. We want to be heard, thats mainly all you have to do. Listen and make soothing noises. After, when shes stopped crying and youve made her laugh and she looks hungry, offer to get her another sandwich. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

O, God, I hate when I get tired and emotional, i'm like somebody possessed.

I usually recover by crying a bit, then having a shower, something sugary, and dressing myself up a wee bit.

Had an ex who was very sweet when i got like this; tho I think mostly men are alarmed.....oestrogen scares them!!

This thread is making me recall so many times when Ive sobbed through a face full of chocolate. :D

Oryx wrote: »
    .... and make soothing noises.

Well that's alright then I'm well known for my pitch perfect imitation of the Lesser Short-toed Lark. Coooooey Cooo Coo.

• Advertisement

Well that's alright then I'm well known for my pitch perfect imitation of the Lesser Short-toed Lark. Coooooey Cooo Coo.
    Be careful taking the mick with emotional women. It may earn you a punch on the nose.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Do not attempt to fix anything, at first anyway. Do not offer solutions. We want to be heard, thats mainly all you have to do. Listen and make soothing noises. After, when shes stopped crying and youve made her laugh and she looks hungry, offer to get her another sandwich. :D

Wise words. Do not under any circumstances tell her 'it's not that bad' (it is!) or 'pull yourself together' (I can't!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

These moods can be so irrational and random. Isnt it embarrassing when you break down in front of someone and faced with their shock and real concern, when they ask what on earth is wrong, you have to say 'I spilt my breakfast' or 'my sandwich fell apart'. Its just these things are the straw that breaks the camels back when you feel lousy, but you feel so daft trying to explain.

Oh I can so agree... I had one of these days a while ago, tosser in work being smarmy, rotten bus journey into town, got to town,everything I tried on made me look the size of a small urban dwelling. Finally, met the other half, he goes to get me a drink in the cafe, brings back my favourite lemonade in the 1 flavour I don't like! Cue tears, sobbing,a sort of snorting(which was not attractive) & one horrified boyfriend:D

When I calmed down I explained it to him, he's still none the wiser...

Ladybird

LOL Oryx the way things are at the moment a punch in the nose from an emotional woman would count as SERIOUS action!

I'd never say "pull yourself together." I may not be an expert on the workings of women folk's minds but I'm not a blithering idiot! If I got a punch in the nose for cooing - I'd imagine if I told Oryx to pull herself together that Mr. Happy may be put beyond use for a substantial period of time.

LOL Oryx the way things are at the moment a punch in the nose from an emotional woman would count as SERIOUS action!

I'd never say "pull yourself together." I may not be an expert on the workings of women folk's minds but I'm not a blithering idiot! If I got a punch in the nose for cooing - I'd imagine if I told Oryx to pull herself together that Mr. Happy may be put beyond use for a substantial period of time.
    Nah Im a pacifist, I never hit anyone in anger. (Just in cold, seething revenge.)

Anyway, I dont want to drag this off the op topic into gbh. Dealing with someone who is upset is always tricky territory. There are times when saying anything at all is wrong. :p

Ladybird, the mention of snorting made me laugh. So familiar.:)

Anyway, I dont want to drag this off the op topic into gbh. Dealing with someone who is upset is always tricky territory. There are times when saying anything at all is wrong. :p

Yeah sorry for going wildly off topic. I was genuinely interested in what's expected from me in such situations though. It's very hard to judge sometimes. Guess like everything else it depends on the woman in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Yeah sorry for going wildly off topic. I was genuinely interested in what's expected from me in such situations though. It's very hard to judge sometimes. Guess like everything else it depends on the woman in question.

Chances are whatever you do or say no matter how nice you're being will be the wrong time. Sometimes if I'm upset and someone's really nice to me it makes me even more emotional.

I find Xanax useful on days like that:o

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

OP. . I know how ya feel. I've spent pretty much all last week in and out of the hospital :( and only today I got a phonecall from my consultant at 5.15 telling me he has everything sorted. phew. but last week I was a wreck. and Wanted to cry sssoooo many times and I did. And I also text my best friend (she knows who she is;)) and she cheered me up so much. She knows who to make me laugh!!

There were so many times I just wanted to talk to someone but you know yourself. . . opening up and just talking is easier said than done. . .

For for me the best thing I do on days like this is have a good old winge, have a shower, get into my jammies, and text my best buddy!!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Freaking Hormones !! last sunday was very very hormonal we had a match and during and after i was a emotional wreak !! I got home asap and took out a bottle of mickie finns and drank it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I have been known to bawl my eyes out the whole way home after work on a semi-regular basis over the past few months.

I also bit my nails down to the quick.

Advertisement