Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship Pay??

• 28-08-2008 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Possibly a very stupid question, but hey thats what boards is for!!

Do students who go on internships for the summer get paid, and if so what would be the going rate??

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

I work in a relatively big firm and started off there doing an internship the summer after i did my degree before i was going to do a masters and i got paid. It was bout 350 per week i think and this was two years ago so you dont get paid very well but nobody is going to expect you to support yourself on thin air.

I think its very much at the discretion of the individual employer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Depends on the size of the firm; Big 4 and mid-tier firms would be about €9-€10 per hour; work placements get a little more. I don't think anyone would do an unpaid internship unless it was in a very small practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 valmul

I work in one of the Big 4 firms and we take in summer students for 10 weeks - think they get somewhere in the region of EUR 300 per week,

I don't think anyone would work for nothing nowadays, even if it is good to get the experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

well, in accountancy in Ireland, many internships are unpaid in other professions and even in accounting in America I think.

Im in a big 4 and our interns got about €350pw I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Sounds about right. 2 years ago it was 18k per annum pro-rated to our time there. Presume it's about 20k now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

I just finished one in a Big 4 firm and was getting 400 a week. Great experience, well worth doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

For a Summer job the pay is more than adequate, but you should look at it as a red carpet to a permanent job after your degree once you don't royally **** up your exams.

€350 is more than adequate if you take in the big picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jhn_noln

KenHy wrote: »
    I just finished one in a Big 4 firm and was getting 400 a week. Great experience, well worth doing.

was it hard to get a position?? did your grades have much bearing on it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I started on 220e a week after graduating from DKIT when I started in practice, but it was a small practice with lots of experience, so anything more than that seems great for interships.

Brownthomas - you have nothing to contribute to this website don't bother please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

jhn_noln wrote: »
    was it hard to get a position?? did your grades have much bearing on it??

Grades have some impact, but I found that once you had the required grades (a 2.1) other things became more important, the big one is good communication skills, you'll need to show them in the interview and in the application form/cover letter to CV that you send in.

Advertisement