Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to education allowance etc

Options
  • 28-08-2008 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi guys, im just looking for a bit of help, im returning to education after being unemployed for 6months now,can anyone tell me what im entitled to straight up and how to go about it, im 23 years old and have no dependents and am not dependent on anyone, can anyone tell me what i can get off the social welfare or grants or anything?could i also get travel allowance as i live around an hour away from the college itself(WIT) its all very confusing!! Go raibh míle maith agaibh!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ramiriquez

I'd imagine you'll be able to get the full maintenance grant but the back to education allowance requires that you be unemployed for a period of 312 days prior to the commencement of the course (9 months in certain circumstances).

You have to have any grant application in by tomorrow (the 29th) though and they may not accept it late. I'd advise going into your local VEC offices tomorrow and talk to them about the maintenance grant. Don't think you'll get anything from the social though.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Leanan Sidhe

Hi There,

I don't know whether or not you know this, but because you've been unemployed for 6 months (and getting social welfare payments I assume), you are entitled to a VTOS payment if you are doing a VTOS course-which is a PLC/FETAC course in a VTOS centre but sometimes you can get paid in a PLC college as a dispersed student.

You basically get a training allowence every week, meal allowence as well as travel allowence (depending on how far you live from the course).

Because places are limited you are better off going to your nearest VEC office, or Adult education guidance service office to find out more as soon as possible. There is a list of all the VTOS training centres on this website and where you can find out more about VTOS and payments etc..

www.vtos.ie

Also if you google your area and VEC as well as the adult education guidance service I am sure you will find some information on ways to contact your local office.

I hope this helps somewhat...

**I only just realised you are doing a course in WIT and not a plc/FETAC type course as such...DOH! so I cannot really help you there, sorry...:(
    Maybe if you went to the nearst citizens info centre they might tell you what you are entitled to?.**

Advertisement