Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help on diet

• 28-08-2008 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just looking for someone to help improve my diet. I'm looking to loose a few pounds and tone up.

My diet at the moment is:
    Breakfast:
    special K with milk

Mid morning snack:
    mangerine or plum
    pro-biotic yoghurt

Lunch:
    Bowl fruit salad
    (banana, apple, plum maybe strawberries or rasperries)

Mid-Afternoon Snack:
    mangerine

Dinner:
    Meat - pork/chicken/steak
    2-3 veg (typically potatoes, carrot, parsnip, or brocalli/cauliflower)

treats:
    maybe 1 or 2 pieces of chocolate(not everyday)

I drink at least 2 litres a day.
    A
    t present i'm only doing 2 hours fitness/training twice a week.But i will be improving that in the next few weeks.

Can someone offer me advice on improving my diet?Am i eating too much fruit?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Yes, you're eating too much fruit. A bowl of fruit is not lunch, it's desert! ;)

You need to add lots of protein and some good fats to your diet.
    For protein have some eggs, chicken or fish with lunch
    For fats have some flax seed or avacados for some nut oils somewhere in your day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Wow, that's a lot of fruit!

Overall, you have very little protein or fats in your diet, and those are the essential bits. Carbs are great for fueling workouts, but not as necessary for good health.

Special K is a marketing con job. It's actually a very processed, very high carb food, whose nutrition is almost all from the extra vitamins they add. You'd be much better off with something like porridge, or even better, a couple of eggs for breakfast.

Yogurt is a good snack, you might try eating it with some nuts or seeds. Those little packets of Good4U seeds are very handy for snacking, and provide lots of healthy fats and protein.

You've got to eat a better lunch. How about a salad with some fish? Dump some tuna or salmon (tinned is fine) on a bag of washed spinach or mixed leaves, add a little olive oil and vinegar dressing and there you are.

Dinner seems fine.

Nothing wrong with a little chocolate occasionally, but eat the darkest stuff you can get. Anything over 70% has more health benefits than drawbacks, and you can get 85% and even 99% easily enough now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

Try having protein with each meal, you should divide your plate into three sections 1/2 of plate - fruit & veg, 1/4 of plate - protein, 1/4 of plate low GI carbs.

Try eating 5 - 6 smaller meals during the day rather than 3 bigger meals. The following is a guideline for sort of intervals:

7:00 Breakfast
    (Never ever miss breakfast) 75% of people with obesity issues miss breakfast
    10:00 Snack
    13:00 Lunch
    16:00 Snack
    19:00 Dinner

Dont eat after 20:00 if you can help it. No refined carbohydrates, eg sugar or sugary drinks. No starchy carbs such as white bread, white rice, potatoe's. Try wholegrain rice, wholegrain pasta, wholegrain bread.

Get some exercise every day, try walking for 45minutes at a moderate intensity, you should develop a light sweat, this is the best workrate to burn fats.

Best of luck, the above technique helped me to loose a substantial amount of weight. Persistance is the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Agree with all of the above and make sure that your doing weights twice a week if you want to tighten up

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FionaC

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Will take it on board and hopefully be xmas there should be improvements :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Just want to reitarate that special K is muck. Porridge is great stuff if you're on a diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FionaC

Ok i really appreciate your advice.I agree special k is crap.

How is today?

Breakfast:
    boiled egg in wholegrain bread

Lunch:
    Salad with chicken
    (lettuce,tomato,pepper,chicken,pine nuts and basalmic vinegar)

Proberly have a bannana soon and dinner will proberly be meat n veg.

Is this ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Massive improvement. Keep it up! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

I'm, not much of an expert, but I wouldn't have any problem with fruit - especially if it's a toss up between fruit or chocolate - though they are natural sugars, so should be moderated if you're trying to loose weight - also, I'd say add a bit more fish, and maybe less pork - not sure how true this is, but a nutritionist here in work advised me to avoid pork and ham as pigs are scavengers and it provides you with less nutritional value than chicken or fish... still tho - good for you sticking to this diet thing!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Much better.

Pigs may be scavangers in the wild, but the ones we eat are reared so as to be edible. And some cuts of pork are leaner than beef. Fish is still a great food, so eat lots of it. More and more research is coming out to show that eating fish a few times a week can really improve your health.

• Advertisement
Advertisement