Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Season at killternan

• 28-08-2008 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Got a price for kilternan €380 for a full membership for sept-may. Just wondering if its worth it. Kinda broke, so could be the only skiing i be doing for the forthcomming season!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

I personally think its great value. I just got the student Season ticket for €285 today and plan on using it for most of the season. All the classes/practice sessions add up and in the long run its worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭paulharte

you can try it out with a few practice sessions, they refund your money if you buy a season pass later in the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jonny85

Definitely worth it. You are never going to get any better skiing one or two weeks a year. Dry slopes are best used to improve your technique. Its a great tool as it slower then snow so easier to work on things. You'll be amazed what level you could get to in just one season. And they offer things like club league races for all levels to test your skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

gonna do it myself, any idea when they open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭jimdev

September 15th

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

how much are practice sessions and when can you do them - live to far away from Kilternan to buy a season pass but wouldn't mind a session or 2 before I go off skiing at Xmas

Check out this link
    http://www.skiclub.ie/rates.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I just had a look at the website for the Artificial slope in Kilternan.

Why do all the people in the photos wear their ski gear ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Polarbear2020

Overflow wrote: »
    I just had a look at the website for the Artificial slope in Kilternan.

Why do all the people in the photos wear their ski gear ? :)

Ha good point! :D
    There are practical reasons though...kind of.

1) If you have ever fallen on artificial surfaces you'll know it can be painful, so the thick layer of salopettes etc can provide a little extra cusion. Ski gloves are handy too, it means your less likely of catching finger in the little gaps (which is uber-painful!).

2) Our weather can be pretty crappy, so nice warm waterproof ski clothes can be a godsent.

3) It makes it feel a little bit more real...:o

When I say "there are practical reasons", these are just my reasons, but I'd imagine some agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Ha good point! :D
    There are practical reasons though...kind of.

1) If you have ever fallen on artificial surfaces you'll know it can be painful, so the thick layer of salopettes etc can provide a little extra cusion. Ski gloves are handy too, it means your less likely of catching finger in the little gaps (which is uber-painful!).

2) Our weather can be pretty crappy, so nice warm waterproof ski clothes can be a godsent.

3) It makes it feel a little bit more real...:o

When I say "there are practical reasons", these are just my reasons, but I'd imagine some agree.

Ah ok that would make sense, having never been on an Artificial slope myself!
    I dont like the sound of catching my fingers in the gaps on the slope, a lot of people must go home with broken fingers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Polarbear2020

Overflow wrote: »
    Ah ok that would make sense, having never been on an Artificial slope myself!
    I dont like the sound of catching my fingers in the gaps on the slope, a lot of people must go home with broken fingers!

Ah it is sooooo painful, and scratching any bit of skin on the brush is pretty sore to...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You do defiantely need your waterproof gear on as the slope has spray jets under it to keep it wet and running well. You absolutely need to have gloves on though for safety reasons, and those same safety reason mean you cannot wear scarves on the slope. It is a much harder surface to fall on than (most) slopes you'll encounter at the real snow though, and can also confirm that getting a digit caught in the matting is uber-painfull.

It is still worth going to the dry slope though, if only to give yourself a quick refresher before your trip or to get the begginers of your group a couple of lessons so they have a bit of a head start before they get to the real stuff in the mountains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 RectalWareZ

jimdev wrote: »
    September 15th
    Rang them on Monday last ,they were opening up that night. So heading down at the weekend, half to wait till i get paid on Friday. Just to confirm they are open to members from 8/9/08 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ski Club Irl

Rang them on Monday last ,they were opening up that night. So heading down at the weekend, half to wait till i get paid on Friday. Just to confirm they are open to members from 8/9/08 :)

Yes Folks, we are open to current Season Ticket Holders only this week - Mon - Fri 19.30 - 22.30, Sat & Sun 10.30 - 17.30.

Next week we are open to the public and classes start. We are offering a 20% discount on all classes and practice sessions until the end of October - this works out at €32 per lesson, or you can book a course of four lessons for €112. A practice session will be €24 for three hours. Have a look at http://www.skiclub.ie/20.htm for our discounted rates. Also the slopes are much less busy at this time of the year so you will have a lot more space than if you come closer to Christmas.

If you are considering taking out a Season Ticket come up and have a few practice sessions. We will deduct what you pay from the Season Ticket rate when you decide to join.

Check out the website for info or give us a bell on 01 2955658.

Cool, thanks. Might have a lesson or 2 before I head off. Did the intensive weekend beginners course last December - great fun and nice people in the Ski Club. I've done the beginners weekend and 1 week skiiing last Xmas - would I move on to the B lessons?

sasser wrote: »
    Cool, thanks. Might have a lesson or 2 before I head off. Did the intensive weekend beginners course last December - great fun and nice people in the Ski Club. I've done the beginners weekend and 1 week skiiing last Xmas - would I move on to the B lessons?

Hey sasser, if you've done a beginner course and then a week's skiing I'd say you should start off around a B3 or B4 class. If you think you are a bit rusty you could start off at a B1 to get the ski legs back.

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 RectalWareZ

Just went out on my first run last nite, bit rusty but at least i didnt crash! :)

Article in the Irish Times supplement today about the Ski Club that you might find interesting
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/travel/2008/0920/1221835119486.html

Glad to see kilternan gettin abit of press :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement