Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy Vs Ireland, April 2009. Any venue rumours?

• 28-08-2008 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

I know it's a bit far out yet, just wondering has anyone heard anything on where it will most likely be held?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Any rumours at this stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

not as far as i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

there was a rumour it was going to be in a regional venue i.e. Genoa but the latest rumour is there looking at the ticket demand from the away fans and seeing if Rome would be better.
    I'd hope for a Rome venue be easier to get to and get tickets for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Would there not be considerable interest from italians too, seeing as one of their own is managing Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I heard a rumour it will be in Venice... not even sure what stadium Venice has!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Turin.

They want to keep Rome for the last game against Bulgaria, great record there etc but the numbers we will bring might be too much for the Olympico in Turin, so there is a slim chance they will move it to Rome.

Don't book flights on the back of this, but its accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Group of us going to organise a trip over for this... hope its Rome.

roryc wrote: »
    I heard a rumour it will be in Venice... not even sure what stadium Venice has!

Rubbish. Venezia's stadium isn't the required 4 stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

joker77 wrote: »
    Any rumours at this stage?

Of course there are loads of rumours. :)

Which one do you want?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Of course there are loads of rumours. :)

Which one do you want?
    :D

• Advertisement

Turin.

They want to keep Rome for the last game against Bulgaria, great record there etc but the numbers we will bring might be too much for the Olympico in Turin, so there is a slim chance they will move it to Rome.

Where did you get the info from?

joker77 wrote: »
    Where did you get the info from?

Check your PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Turin.

Turin!...Really?! That stadium musn't fit more than 25,000? That choice makes no sense at all? Our allocation would be tiny:(

Whatever about Rome, why would Turin be chosen ahead of San Siro or other much bigger venues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Nunu wrote: »
    Turin!...Really?! That stadium musn't fit more than 25,000? That choice makes no sense at all? Our allocation would be tiny:(

Whatever about Rome, why would Turin be chosen ahead of San Siro or other much bigger venues?
    25,000?

Says 67,200 here
    http://www.stadiumguide.com/dellealpi.htm

How accurate is the rumour it's Turin?

Wrong stadium...that's the Delle Alpi where Juve used to play. It's closed down indefinitely.

Juve and Torino share the Olimpico now...that's the stadium I'm talking about. It's the only current venue in Turin now as far as I know?

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadio_Olimpico_di_Torino

Nunu wrote: »
    Wrong stadium...that's the Delle Alpi where Juve used to play. It's closed down indefinitely.

Juve and Torino share the Olimpico now...that's the stadium I'm talking about. It's the only current venue in Turin now as far as I know?

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadio_Olimpico_di_Torino
    Ahhhh. Thanks.

That one only has a capacity of 27,500, if they have it there well then that's ridiculous. sure almost 20,000 Irish travelled to Stuttgart. It just wouldn't make sense to have it in such a small stadium when there's others available especially with the Trappatoni link.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Ahhhh. Thanks.

That one only has a capacity of 27,500, if they have it there well then that's ridiculous. sure almost 20,000 Irish travelled to Stuttgart. It just wouldn't make sense to have it in such a small stadium when there's others available especially with the Trappatoni link.

you are kidding yourself if you think we are a big draw for the Italians.

the only reason it might be moved is if there is huge demand for Irish tickets.

Ye, the San Siro is a no brainer really with Trapattoni link in mind. He was born near Milan, played for Milan and managed both Milan and Inter.

...although his golden period as manager was definitely in Turin with Juve.

Where did he say we are a big draw for the Italians:confused:

Surely there would be a general consensus that a stadium that fits below 30,000, when there are 4 or 5 bigger options, is a really baffling choice?

Re-read my post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

why would it be held in Turin? aren't Turinese doesn't Turin have a really weak football culture to the rest of Italy? Juve can't even fill the Olympico from what I hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7807137.stm
    Bari set to stage Republic game

The Republic of Ireland's World Cup qualifier against Italy on 1 April appears likely to be played in Bari.

The Football Association of Ireland says that it has received "informal confirmation" that the qualifier will take place at the Stadio San Nicola.

However, Republic fans have been urged not to make any travel arrangements until any official announcement.

The Italian Federation has until 5 January to confirm the venue for the Group Eight game.

The Bari stadium has a 58,000 capacity.

Rome appears to have been ruled out because the Stadio Olimpico is required for the Champions League final six weeks later.

Other cities have also been mooted but it appears that the Italian Federation has plumped for Bari.

Only three internationals have been played in Bari - most recently Italy's 2-0 win over Scotland in April 2007 in a Euro 2008 qualifier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Bari would be good - I know a few Scottish fans from another footie forum who went there in the last campaign and had no hassles whatsoever, friendly locals and laid back policing.
    The ticketing situation was 7500 to the Scottish FA.

Few pics.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1LOL2cWTJs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

It has a bit of a bad reputation along with most cities in the south of Italy but I was there last May and had no problems. Its also very cheap, I remember one pizzeria with unlimited food and drink for a tenner:D though I don't think I'd ever be able to find it again.

When I went there I was travelling from the north, and there's a relatively cheap night train that leaves Milan/Turin at around 10 or so and gets to Bari at 7 in the morning, which might be of interest to anyone who had already booked flights to the north or has found cheaper flights to Milan etc. If anyone plans on making a couple of train journeys and is under 26 it would be worth getting a 3-day inter-rail ticket, it costs around 70e. For those on a tight budget, with a bit of research most journey's can be made using regional trains. They cost a lot less, but take longer and will probably involve switching trains a couple of times.

The stadium itself is a bit of a distance out of the city but I'd imagine special buses will be provided, most likely at an extortionate price:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Might just go along to this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Turin.

Well done.

My da and a few of his mates gambled & booked Milan early. So they have to get a 2nd flight from Milan now :p. The south was the worst possible place for them !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Don't know about Bari as a place but it certainly is a nice stadium. Wouldn't mind heading along to that one.

It's been confirmed on the Italian FA's website that it's Bari. I've just booked the flights from Rome to Bari having already took the gamble a couple of months ago that it might have been Rome. It has actually worked out cheaper because we decided to go Dublin/Stanstead/Rome.
    Looking forward to it now that it's all confirmed.

• Advertisement

Ryanair are offering a direct flight into Bari on the day of the match and then back the following day. It's not cheap though, €400 return. That's how much all my flights and accommodation costs.

Advertisement