Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car

Options
  • 28-08-2008 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I'm stuck between an Avensis and Mondeo.... Stick with me on this, these are the choices, nothing else will be accepted, or considered. Purchase is new with cash.

Mondeo... new design, lots of features, might be too big though, parking reversing etc..

Avensis, proven design great reliability, good warranty, excellent dealer service. Might not be new enough.

What do you guys think ?

Which car 8 votes

Avensis
    0% 0 votes
    Mondeo
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭alfarocks

2 fine choices. Personally I'm not keen on the Avenisises, drive the folks one a bit but I don't feel ready to die yet so I'd rather not own one.

New Mondeo is a pleasant looking car, have not driven the new one yet but the previous model was decent and the back seats pretty good for those amorous occasions.

Considered other options at all ?? Maybe a nearly new BMW ?? 320's are very popular judging by the amount to them on the roads..

Probably best move this to the main motors forum, unless you want recommendations on old Alfa's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Qv

I'd move it if I knew how ?
    So many forums here I musta got lost. Maybe my car needs a Sat maps thing too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I would have preferred option c) neither. These are not the choices of car people- they are commodity cars that are born to die IMO opinion. The Honda Accord mops the floor with both of these IMO and to a lesser extent, the Mazda6.

I think they're pretty anonymous and overpriced and there is a massive lack of refinement and finish in the Yota. The Mondeo is definitely the lesser of 2 evils.

Try posting in the Motors forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Qv

But the Honda is way more expensive, for very little extra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

id prefer an old Cortina to an old Alfa...but given the choices...a Mondeo would do, but make it a low limeage Mk1....(for me:)....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Mondeo has an absolutely horrific centre console. It looks like a really cheap home stereo thing. Avensis all the way for reliability, resale and not looking like a sales rep. By the way, if you're looking at a diesel Mondeo, expect some serious turbo lag. OK, you'll get used to it, but it's scary at the start when you're pulling out from a junction. You really need to rev the hole off it to get anywhere (when wound up, it really can shift for a big car) which is kinda going against the grain for a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...Avensis all the way for...not looking like a sales rep...

I'm afraid I'd disagree and I think most would...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'm afraid I'd disagree and I think most would...

Perhaps it's much of a muchness alright:D

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Qv wrote: »
    But the Honda is way more expensive, for very little extra

The quality of the Honda would be remembered long after the price has been forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

moved from classics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I voted for the Mondeo, but I was really voting against the Avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Mondeo, new one is a cracking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Seriously the Mondeo is in a different league than the current Avensis - the new one might be better but I doubt it - Toyota's approach is not to move the game on, its to dazzle with blandness and be consistent at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Zube wrote: »
    I voted for the Mondeo, but I was really voting against the Avensis.

Snap! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Completely new Avensis is due out soon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I would also go for the mondeo but i would be weary when it comes to engine choice.The only petrol i think would be worth having is the 2.5T.I think all the others are just a bit too slow considering how thirsty they are.The mondeo is a huge car, remember.I would aimagine that the 1.8(125 bhp version only) and 2.0 TDCI are alrite but neither would really set the world alight!!the 170bhp 2.2TDCI would definately be worth a look if you're budget allows

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you haven't done so already, test drive a C5 before you make up your mind.

http://www.c5.citroen.com/ie/

I'm very impressed with this car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

corktina wrote: »
    id prefer an old Cortina to an old Alfa...but given the choices...a Mondeo would do, but make it a low limeage Mk1....(for me:)....)
    Is the mondeo reaching classic status now that the cortina people are seeking them out.....shoulda kept mine....:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

cantdecide wrote: »
    I would have preferred option c) neither. These are not the choices of car people- they are commodity cars that are born to die IMO opinion. The Honda Accord mops the floor with both of these IMO and to a lesser extent, the Mazda6.

I think they're pretty anonymous and overpriced and there is a massive lack of refinement and finish in the Yota. The Mondeo is definitely the lesser of 2 evils.

Try posting in the Motors forum

Autocar said that the new improved accord still does'nt get any where near the mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

You probably won't be getting a new car in September. As OP said, wait until December/January and see what the new Avensis is like. In the spy photo's it looks cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Mondeo diesel estate all the way. TDCi Diesel engines are sourced from Peugeot, very highly regarded. I have an old (1995) E-Class diesel estate and I can't imagine life with kids with a smaller boot (it's even got 2 extra seats!)

Anyway, squeeze both dealers very hard, see which one drops. Some are below targets. I would bet the Avensis could work out cheaper because of the new version coming soon. I'd prefer the Mondeo, but Avensis is a sensibile (if somewhat boring) buy, especially if you get a good discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I got the impression that the OP was a company car driver with restricted choice, so I'm not sure if discount or Sept delivery is an issue?

Advertisement