Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comics/Concept Art/ Digital Painting

Options
  • 28-08-2008 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello All,
    I think this is probably the best place for this thread. Anyone interested in posting up their digital art at all?

Incidentally, I've been trying, without luck, to find an Irish contingent of concept/digital painters. You know, the kinda guys and gals that produce work for film and games. There's already a number of sites I look at, but I've failed to see any more local communities that might share these interests, so if anyone has any ideas, sharing is caring!
    thanks again...
    dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

danny_c wrote: »
    I've been trying, without luck, to find an Irish contingent of concept/digital painters. You know, the kinda guys and gals that produce work for film and games. There's already a number of sites I look at, but I've failed to see any more local communities that might share these interests, so if anyone has any ideas, sharing is caring.

Are you just looking as someone with an interest or in more professional capacity?

Have you checked sites like creativeireland.com? I know a couple of the background painters from the last film I worked on post there. You need to look in the animation forum there as digital painting in Ireland is mainly connected with the animation industry. We don't produce as many live action commercials spots as you'd see else were, its mainly animated commercials and our live action film industry is mainly over seas productions that have all the pre production done before coming here just to shoot and all post production is then done aboard. You won't find many people if any working as just concept artists within Ireland as there really isn't a big enough market - most people I know that do that kinda of work also work as layout artists, flash animators, illustrators, or graphic designers.

There's also a Digital Art forum on boards thou it does get dominated more by graphic design posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 danny_c

ztoical, How's things? Thanks for the reply.
    To answer, I wouldn't mind really hearing from either - pro or amateur.
    I set the same post on creativeireland.com previously, along with a multitude of portfolio/networking sites. I'm a graphic designer/flash illustration guy myself, but would love to move into concept art eventually. I've a feeling it will take a long time...I did animation in Ballyfermot for a year(an age ago), and was mostly interested in the layout aspect of it, as a matter of coincidence.

I agree that Digital Art forums do get dominated by graphic design. I find that topic threads can get threadless very quickly, i.e someone gets distracted, the whole topic skews into nothing then...

I think that there's no reason why graphic design and the use of digital painting can't be combined...

Can I ask what you do yourself? I've put a link to my site if you're interested at all.
    Thanks again for taking time to reply, and the search tips.

danny_c
    http://www.sketchbook-element.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 danny_c

Scratch that...I visited your homepage. I really like some of your drawings and strips. I think I actually picked up some of your postcards at a comic-con in Temple bar about two year ago!

Advertisement