Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Leaving Cert

Options
  • 28-08-2008 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I need a bit of advise with my career and future. I didn't do my Leaving Cert as I was sick at the time and never went back to do it. I am 23 now and would love to go to college and do something with my life. The only thing is that I live with my boyfriend and have bills etc. I can't really afford to go back and study full time with no income. I currently work a few days a week in the family business and was wondering would I be better to sign on the dole so I can have a bit of money to cover my expenses.

Also I was wondering what my chances are at getting into a college course without a Leaving Cert? Will I have to pay fees?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer xxx :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Having no leaving cert is not the big deal that your teachers made out it would be. I dropped out of school during fourth year, and never did a leaving cert either. Eight years later, I went to GMIT and got a Cert. in Software Development. Now, another 12 years after that, I'm starting an honours degree in Science in NUIG.

It might have been a lot easier in the long run to go straight to Uni after the leaving cert (if I'd stuck it out), but there's no way I would have made my current choice back then. With a bit of life experience under your belt, you'll be in a far better position to choose the course that's right for you.

Most colleges use interviews and aptitude tests to test a mature candidate's competency. Your lack of leaving cert certainly won't be an issue at all, nor will it have any bearing on applying for a grant.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

As above. It takes longer but in the end you end up with the same qualifications. Some employers look for "life experience" over diploma's, degree's etc.

Best of Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Geo08

Hey OP dont fret! As others I have no leaving cert either, never did I think I would ever be able to get into uni to do a science hons, but my first lecture is next week :p

When going back as a mature student, most ppl are going back later because they dont have the entry qualifications - so it is a benefit of being a mature folk, you just have to show as much as you can on you cao or direct application form just how much you want it!

As regard to fees, I havent done a degree before so I qualified for free fees & waiting to hear on a grant.

I understand your worries about money, I live away from home also. But my advice to you would be to think about the time you will spend not doing a degree. Will you be in a crappy job & not happy for years? or you could tough it out for 3/4 years, suffer a little financially for short term & improve your future????

Get looking at prospectus & see whats out there for you.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Soupi

Hey Everyone,

Thank you so much for all the kind words. I defo agree with Geo08 that it's much better to slum it for 3/4 years for the gain that will be had in the long term.

I am also delighted that because I've not been to college before I won't have to pay fees. As I said originally I work in the family business so I will still be able to put in the odd few hours here and there to help with money.

I feel alot more positive and hopeful for the future now. A few people told me that I don't need a Degree nowadays and that it's only a bit of paper but I think that it means alot more than that, as I'm sure you will all agree, it will make me very proud of myself and happier in life which is all that matters in the end ;)

Advertisement