Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International texts

• 28-08-2008 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭

I'm looking to know if any network offer an international text add-on? I send more texts to the uk than I do internally. About 30 uk text and 25 irish texts per month. I'm on Meteor Talk 60 at present and want to know if there is a cheaper tariff for me?

Thinking of possibly moving to 3 but there international texts are .25c.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

kelzer wrote: »
    I'm looking to know if any network offer an international text add-on? I send more texts to the uk than I do internally. About 30 uk text and 25 irish texts per month. I'm on Meteor Talk 60 at present and want to know if there is a cheaper tariff for me?

Thinking of possibly moving to 3 but there international texts are .25c.
    I think i remember reading somewhere that o2 have cut their international webtexts... If they havent, use cabbage to send them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

Will cabbage send international texts though?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Thats exactly what I just said. If o2 webtexts allow them, cabbage will send them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It will indeed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you'd have to get an o2 sim card. they cost about ten euro. then your texts would come from this number and the person you're texting would text back your normal one

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    you'd have to get an o2 sim card. they cost about ten euro. then your texts would come from this number and the person you're texting would text back your normal one

Or I could port my bill pay to O2.

freesims.ie for a free o2 sim card (well, 2 of them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Cabbage uses O2's online texting feature. With O2 online texting you can text internationally and domestically any network for free (Limited 250 per month). Therefore Cabbage would be a good option for you. If you buy a (GPRS I think) data bundle for €7.50 per month you get €250MB which will allow you to send them free (up to the limit) otherwise its charged at a certain rate per KB. If you are going to use the GPRS for downloading lots of data: BART Bus And Rail Timetables); Gmail coming to phone; and Cabbage for using free online O2 texts it works out quite well and is very convenient all for €7.50 per month. It is unlikely you will go over the limit as these programs send and receive very small amounts of data. When my home internet was down I used my phone to get internet for my computer. That was the only time I went over my limit - by €2.

Peter B wrote: »
    Cabbage uses O2's online texting feature. With O2 online texting you can text internationally and domestically any network for free (Limited 250 per month). Therefore Cabbage would be a good option for you. If you buy a (GPRS I think) data bundle for €7.50 per month you get €250MB which will allow you to send them free (up to the limit) otherwise its charged at a certain rate per KB. If you are going to use the GPRS for downloading lots of data: BART Bus And Rail Timetables); Gmail coming to phone; and Cabbage for using free online O2 texts it works out quite well and is very convenient all for €7.50 per month. It is unlikely you will go over the limit as these programs send and receive very small amounts of data. When my home internet was down I used my phone to get internet for my computer. That was the only time I went over my limit - by €2.
    How much is Sam paying you? :P

I doubt I would need the data bundle as I only would send 30-40 international texts and can use the text allowance for national texts. Would the data charge be more than €1 for 30 texts on Cabbage?

• Advertisement

If you'll ONLY be using cabbage though, spending €7.50 a month will be too much for what you need. You can send about 8-10 txts for one cent, so even if you could only send 5 for one cent, 50 would be 10 cent, 250 would be 50c a month, so the extra €7 would go to waste, because you only send 30, you're talking about 5c a month in credit if you use cabbage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lissoy

O2 have a business plan for €20/month that gives all International txt's at 8c.

Advertisement