Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding & Penalty Points

Options
  • 28-08-2008 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Do you automatically get PP when caught speeding ? I was stopped and given a fine last week but the guard didnt mention anything at all about PP
    Just wondering if its always the case that you get points when caught speeding ?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You get penalty points when you receive notification regarding them!
    For various reasons, just because a garda pulls you over, does not mean that you get them.
    However, as you were fined, I'd say that you will eventually get them. Expect a letter telling you when they start to arrive soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Do you automatically get PP when caught speeding ? I was stopped and given a fine last week but the guard didnt mention anything at all about PP
    Just wondering if its always the case that you get points when caught speeding ?
    You should get them for sure. Did you pay the fine on the spot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

gobby wrote: »
    You should get them for sure. Did you pay the fine on the spot?
    No I didnt pay the fine on the spot , I had to produce my licence in the station....So in answer to my question you dont always receive points if your caught speeding :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

No I didnt pay the fine on the spot , I had to produce my licence in the station....So in answer to my question you dont always receive points if your caught speeding :confused:

In the post i'd say chilli. I understand they aren't necessarily too punctual about issuing them, but they will arrive sooner or later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

They can't issue points until you've paid your fine or been through the courts.

Generally points are applied a couple of weeks after you pay your fine and are on your licence for 3 years from the date they were applied, NOT the date of the offence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement