Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic 1.4s 2002 - Advice sought

Options
  • 28-08-2008 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

Have my eye on a car, but the dealer will absolutely not budge on the price. Is it value for money?
    Honda Civic, 5dr, 2002, 45k miles, great condition, 1 owner, warranty, €8k.

I see that there are other 02 civics for sale around the country but its not an option for me to travel the country looking for a car, also if I need to get anything done under waranty it would be extremely inconvenient.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

seems very pricey to me

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dainius

you shouldnt pay more than 6k. Sold mine 01 for 5k in june. Prices droped significantly since june so 7950 is way too much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I bought the saloon model last year.. was a 01.. Paid €7950.. Mileage was 60k.. Car was absoluetly mint though not a mark anywhere on it. Haven't had any trouble with her either apart from one of the locks / electrics on the rear driver side door.. I got a trade in so got mine for €6k on the nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Do you know that you can buy the vastly superior focus for the same money?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't get the not travelling bit, I don't know how valuable your time is, but I'd take a day off work and buy a return bus ticket to save €1500

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

groupb wrote: »
    Do you know that you can buy the vastly superior focus for the same money?
    the 1.4 focus is grand and all - but it's seriously short on poke

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the dealer is not willing to budge on the price then walk away. In the current climate it's a buyer's market and there are plenty of other dealers out there with similar cars willing to be flexible on the price to move stock.

Also as Colm said if you want a good car at a good price then be prepared to do a little work for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The dealer probably thinks you are hooked on the car. It's hard to do when you see something you really like/want, but you should try to disguise your desire and play nonchalant/hard to get.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Go North!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Wave 6K under is nose and say ill give this to you for that car. He says no then go oh well good-bye!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

I waved €7k under his nose, he said no, so i said that I cant stretch any further and I walked.

I understand from someone who's being buying cars from that dealer (under different owners) for 10 years, that they quote the lowest price that they are willing to go to and dont haggle. Tis not a ploy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Its a nice little car, but i think he is a silly puppy not to grab the hand off you with the market at the moment. I know i wouldn't pay anymore then 7.

Look at carzone be willing to travel to someplace else. Your never that stuck that you can't save a few hundred!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

Some very valid points about travelling to save money.

Had another look at all civics around the country. All civics for less are either gone (with the ad still up), have very high mileage or I just dont like the look of them. So Ive decided to go for the original car I was looking at.

All the help was much appreciated. Cheers lads and ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Paying 8k for that car is a huge mistake, there are way better options for the money.
    maybe the dealer has had it in stock since the spring and genuinely can't budge on the price, that shouldn't be your problem though.

Advertisement