Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor Bike Rates

• 28-08-2008 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is a mileage or KM rate for Motor Bikes and for what amount and CC.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

surely that depends on where you work:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 chazwazza

Cookie_monster - living in Dublin working mostly in Leinster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Meant as in what company...

Companies usually just decide a milage themselves, and the terms of it. Ask someone in HR where you work about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

There are limits on the milage expense rates that may be paid tax-free. These limits are defined asbeing whatever the civil service rates are. Therefore those rates are quite often what's paid. They should be available on the web somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Newcarneeded

Google E105/1/0628 or circular 17/2006 from the Department of Finance.

That's a circular which the Department of Finance has issued advising the maximum rates which Departments pay tax free for motor travel. I don't know what the reduced rate applies to.

The rates are based on engine capacity bands so for up to 1200cc you could get up to 83.92 c per mile up to 4,000 miles in a year, that should cover you unless you're on a Hayabusa.

But as another poster said, these are the maximum rates that can be paid tax free - I'm also not sure that this circular, dating from 2006 as it does is the most up to date one- and depending on who you work for it's at the discretion of the firm and HR should have a policy on this as to what they can pay tax free.

If you're in the private sector you might find that your employer is nowhere near as generous as the public purse when it comes to paying mileage, I know mine doesn't pay me €1.26 a mile for the first 4,000 miles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement