Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glucosamine supplements..

Options
  • 28-08-2008 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

For the past 3 to 4 months I have been giving my dog (springer x pointer, 9 years, male) Pedigree Joint Stix. They've been brilliant and I've seen a dramatic improvement. However, they're quite expensive for me as I'm a college student, I can't afford 5euro a week on dog treats. I bearly have enough for my digs, lunches and my bus home at weekends. My question is, is it safe to give human supplements to animals? My mam has glucosamine tablets so it would be cheaper and handier to get them. I know it's probably not safe.. Is there anything else you would recommend??

TIA.

- J xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Talk to your local butcher ...cartriledge is what you're looking for.
    Knuckle bones (the joint end) is mostly cartriledge and your butcher will be happy to get rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

What you are looking for is a supplement called Arthi Aid. Is a made for cats and dogs and is available in any vets and does not require a prescription. It is added to the food and comes in an easy pump dispencing bottle. Generally retails for about 22 euro to 54 euro for a 250ml bottle - 1litre bottle. Dose is 1/2ml per kg body weight so if your dog is 25kg he needs 12 1/2ml which would mean a 1000ml bottle would last you 80 days which works out at a cost of 67cents per day. Well worth the money!

http://nutriscience.users18.donhost.co.uk/english/product_eq.asp?idproductgroup=1

It is a fantastic product and we recommend it to all clients. It is a also claimable on the insurance once he vet recommends it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

ArthriAid gets the thumbs up from me too! It makes an enormous difference to my collie, who's prone to lameness from a cruciate ligament rupture and mild hip dysplasia. I buy it for €30 a bottle from my local chemist and it lasts for AGES as Amber needs only one squirt of it on her food every day. Much more economical than the Pedigree Joint Stix.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Thanks everyone... I'll definitely look into getting a bottle of that.. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Jules wrote: »
    1000ml bottle would last you 80 days which works out at a cost of 67cents per day.
    This works out at €4.69/week..as the OP said she ..
    Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    can't afford 5euro a week on dog treats.

Human glucosamine is perfectly safe for use in dogs so would probably work out cheaper and just as effective as the denti-stix you're buying! Id say a 400-500mg capsule once a day for a dog around 20/25kg!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Give your dog Cod Liver Oil capsules. Our vet recommended it for when our old dog began to suffer with arthritis. Now our new dogs get one everyday wrapped up in a piece of meat!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

anniehoo wrote: »
    This works out at €4.69/week..as the OP said she ..

Human glucosamine is perfectly safe for use in dogs so would probably work out cheaper and just as effective as the denti-stix you're buying! Id say a 400-500mg capsule once a day for a dog around 20/25kg!

Granted but at the end of the day its safer and made for use on animals. You should NEVER give human medications to our pet unless directed by your vet. And this will make a hugh change in her dog, hopefully. And as for cod live oil tablets, they are good to a degree. Better for coat and skin then for joints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

i use the ubavet glucosamine hcl complex its 19.95 for 340ml or 26.35 for
    500ml which would work out at €2.94 a week with the big bottle i get it from my local pet shop

Advertisement