Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gun Now for the accessories/Cleaning Any Advice

Options
  • 28-08-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just waiting for my license for a Larona O/U Shotgun for Trap, Im new to this and want to know the good and bad accessories you have bought what to get and what not to.

Accessories - Ear Protection, Eye Protection, Recoil Pads etc
    Cleaning - Best products etc

Just want to know what to but as I have to clean my gun so im sure there are some bad stuff out there and stuff to watch out for, so if you have any recommendation please reply

Thank!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Believe it or not, the best ear plugs are the cheap disposable foam ones that you roll up and insert in your ear canal.

However they can be uncomfortable when wearing them for long periods such as at a clay shoot. The custom moulded ones with the air tube are great (about €110) - I wear them plus Peltor muffs over them. If I could get a third set in, I would - the more the merrier.

You can get glasses from €25 up to €600 - Hidefs which are all the rage now are about €350 from www.clayshooters.ie

In terms of cleaning - DON'T use WD40 or 3 in 1 oil - get any of the proper gun oils, a cleaning rod with wire brush, mop and patches. Make a point of cleaning your gun after every outing and it'll last you for years. Go easy on the oil, there's no need for gallons into the action - it just clogs up over time.
    Finally, stand your gun upside down in the gunsafe to keep any excess oil from dribbling down into the inside of the stock.

Best of luck with the clays!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

In terms of cleaning - DON'T use WD40 or 3 in 1 oil - get any of the proper gun oils, a cleaning rod with wire brush, mop and patches. Make a point of cleaning your gun after every outing and it'll last you for years. Go easy on the oil, there's no need for gallons into the action - it just clogs up over time.
    Finally, stand your gun upside down in the gunsafe to keep any excess oil from dribbling down into the inside of the stock.

Best of luck with the clays!

Thanks for Info, So its an under and over im getting, where do you put the oil in? Ya I was planning on cleaning it after every use, its kind of a normal practice for me now, as I go diving & fishing so dame salt gets everywhere, Cool any recommendations on cleaning products for the barrels witht the rod and mops??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

VD2,
    Very good advise from P&B
    "In terms of cleaning - DON'T use WD40 or 3 in 1 oil - get any of the proper gun oils, a cleaning rod with wire brush, mop and patches. Make a point of cleaning your gun after every outing and it'll last you for years. Go easy on the oil, there's no need for gallons into the action - it just clogs up over time.
    Finally, stand your gun upside down in the gunsafe to keep any excess oil from dribbling down into the inside of the stock."

For too many gun owners, cleaning means wiping the outside of the metal with an oily cloth or worse, merely spraying a non-descript aerosol oil on it. More-conscientious shooters will clean the bores of their shotguns and rifles. Thorough cleaning moves into the realm of completely disassembling, cleaning, and then reassembling fairly complex mechanisms. For the untrained to attempt complete disassembly of a double gun, boxlock or sidelock, is out of the question. Best left to a trained professional.

A drop of gun oil goes a long -long - way. One drop at a time. More damage has being done by sweaty hands leaving moisture on hidden parts than a wet day in the field.

I use a very light coating of synthetic lube for the hingepin.
    With guns, an ounce of prevention is indeed worth a ton of cure.

If you can get Break-Free CLP or Remington's Rem Oil both are excellent lubricant's.

"Finally, stand your gun upside down in the gunsafe to keep any excess oil from dribbling down into the inside of the stock."
    Great bit of information there.

Good luck with the gun and the games.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

"Finally, stand your gun upside down in the gunsafe to keep any excess oil from dribbling down into the inside of the stock."
    Great bit of information there.

Just don't do that with a rifle unless you have some sort of stand/harness to prevent the barrel taking all the weight.

Hi Guys,

Well I got my shotgun been doing a lot of clays, Thanks for all the advice on the cleaning, been watching youtube videos too which helped - I have on quick question!

Ok so I clean the barrels and the hinges and the outside of the firing pin area (where the two holes are for the fireing pins) Do these need to be oiled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

One of the best accesories I've bought is a boresnake. Priceless for cleaning the shotgun barrels. A tiny squirt of silicone machine oil ( the stuff that is used for sewing machines and delicate mechanisms or sold in the gun shop for about a fiver for a spray can the same size as standard Remmy or Beretta spraycans ) and a couple of passages through the barrel and job done. As for dribbling a bit of oil in the firing pin holes : I wouldn't. Just stick to keeping them open and clean. If you feel that you have to oil the mechanism the best option if you are capable of doing this is most likely removing the stock and very lightly oil the mechanism with a high quality fine machine oil, emphasis on VERY LIGHTLY

One of the best accesories I've bought is a boresnake. Priceless for cleaning the shotgun barrels. A tiny squirt of silicone machine oil ( the stuff that is used for sewing machines and delicate mechanisms or sold in the gun shop for about a fiver for a spray can the same size as standard Remmy or Beretta spraycans ) and a couple of passages through the barrel and job done. As for dribbling a bit of oil in the firing pin holes : I wouldn't. Just stick to keeping them open and clean. If you feel that you have to oil the mechanism the best option if you are capable of doing this is most likely removing the stock and very lightly oil the mechanism with a high quality fine machine oil, emphasis on VERY LIGHTLY

Thanks meathstevie do those bore snakes not clog up a lot, when I clean my barrels even with a patch of cloth they are pretty dirty, have you used yours much?

I hardly ever use anything else but the boresnake and a little bit of oil. As for clogging up, the boresnakes pick up a lot of crud very quickly but you just throw them in a small washing bag and give them a spin in the washing machine. They're made to be machine washable ( use a washing bag at all times ).

I hardly ever use anything else but the boresnake and a little bit of oil.

+1 The boresnake is great.

I hardly ever use anything else but the boresnake and a little bit of oil. As for clogging up, the boresnakes pick up a lot of crud very quickly but you just throw them in a small washing bag and give them a spin in the washing machine. They're made to be machine washable ( use a washing bag at all times ).

Do you use a wire brush to get out the wad residue?

Also not forgetting the accessories part of the title,

Picked myself up a fiber optic tip sight the other day, stock one was a grey ball, impossible to see on a gray sky love it - only couple of euro worth it

Also picked up a pair of yellow shooting glasses with three different lens colours for about €30! Ill put my hands up and admit to people i thought why not use standard clear safety lens, yellow are for people are trying to look cool and thats what a friend of mine said when we out shooting clays the last day he laughed!! when you put them on all i said was OMG this is amazing difference then looked in to a box of clays it was like they were glow in the dark!!

Bought myself a competitor basic trap too €99 with two free boxes of clays (300)

My spending done for a while :D

Still if anyone has bought anything usefull id like to hear about it

• Advertisement

The boresnakes have brass bristles woven in them. It's a real all-in-one job.

Advertisement