Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Make 5 Changes...

• 28-08-2008 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

If you -for some divine reason- could make 5 changes to the WWE as it is today, what would they be?

They can be as realistic or barmy as you like. You could bring back long retired superstars, or maybe just change the appearance of the Titantron. You send ECW back to the bingo halls or change the name of a PPV if you want. They don't have to be financially clever or popular. It's your call. Anything you want.

So here's your chance. Five changes only, your call, ... just don't arse it up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I tried starting one of these threads and it didnt go well, its way too much of a broad idea.

1. Switch Titantrons. I believe that each show having its own tron makes them more distinguished and individual. I'd leave SD! with the HD tron, return the old RAW Parallelagram tron and modify the old SD! 'Fist' Tron for ECW

2. Bring Back Foley as a full time commentator and leave him be.

3. Make an offer 'he cant refuse' to the Rock to come back. Doesn't have to wrestle a lot, but must appear on RAW regularly and wrestle the odd time on Big PPV's

4. Revert Kane's theme back to slow chemical and change his attire to freshen him up

5. Hire myself to a big money contract as a 'Professional Sports Entertainment Media Viewer'. A job I'd be good at. :pac:

its way too much of a broad idea.

As apposed to a "boards" idea.... :P:o

Here would be my ideas.
    Bring back the tag division, but not just for no reason, id show the storys behind them.

Make the audience at least believe they are together for a reason..

I'd also buy out TNA, actually no. i wouldn't, i would GIVE TNA money, to make a little competition.
    If it all went tits up, THEN buy them out.

Integrate some MMA into wwe, make it a bigger draw.

Was also going to make a suggestion of the Trons, maybe a little different to KKV's, but:

Distinguish the Trons, still have them HD and all that, but just looking different, like i dont think i like the way it isnt symetrical anymore. Scratch that, i hate that its not.

More entertainment, less shocking endings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

1. Cancel the brand divisions - cancel ECW (sorry ECW fans) - make RAW and SD 3 hour live shows

2. Have an undisputed champion with WWE title and WHC title (i'd make it Jericho)

3. Make Mick Foley comissioner and/or announcer

4. fire all useless unability to wrestle divas

5. bring back SCSA, Lita, The Rock, Stephanie, Shane for brief appearances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

1. One Brand with one heavey wight title and one set of Tag team Titles
    2. Bring back CW title
    3. Bring in international cruiser weights for one off appearances
    4. Scrap ECW , bring back velocity, featuring mostly cruiser weights
    5. Make the ECW title a hardcore title only defended under extreme rules

• Advertisement

JP Liz wrote: »
    1. Cancel the brand divisions - cancel ECW (sorry ECW fans) - make RAW and SD 3 hour live shows

2. Have an undisputed champion with WWE title and WHC title (i'd make it Jericho)

So to sum that all up:

You would revert everything back to the Attitude era?

Integrate some MMA into wwe, make it a bigger draw.

I don't think that would help/work. I think any mention of being more MMA focused would turn the hardcore wrestling fans against the company. Unless you just mean use their moves to a small extent, as 'Taker has done with his gogoplata kinda move thingy... you know what i mean...

I think if you did some of that stuff, you'd have a very bad looking product in your hands. I think asking even hardcore wrestling fans to sit down and watch a WWE show for three straight hours every week is a bit much. PPV's aren't too bad at once a month, but i think it'd suffer for weekly shows. Plus removing a heavyweight belt? assuming you mean get rid of the ECW roster too, then that'd mean you'd have so few wrestlers that over-exposure could be a big problem, thus causing fans to lose interest faster. And if you meant keep the ECW roster and integrate it into the Raw and SD! rosters, then i think you'd have too many wrestlers running around and you'd either be paying a lot of wrestlers to sit at home, or you'd have so many that people wouldn't be able to become familiar with everyone.

1. One Brand with one heavey wight title and one set of Tag team Titles
    2. Bring back CW title
    3. Bring in international cruiser weights for one off appearances

None of this would work, but as it is your opinion i wont judge.

Although:

Is this not a little contradictory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

1. Less pay per views.

2. Re-emphasis on tag teams.

3. Set up an actual building for a Hall of Fame/Wrestling museum.

4. Put more effort into their wrestler specific dvd's that they do.

5. An off season of a month after Wrestlemania or anytime really.

Unless you just mean use their moves to a small extent, as 'Taker has done with his gogoplata kinda move thingy... you know what i mean...

Yeah thats what i meant exactly :)

And make some things a little shoot-er looking, like the mayweather/show match at mania, people bought that because it was set up real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

1. ECW is probably their best pure wrestling show at the moment and two three hour TV shows with the same roster is one of the main reasons WCW went down the drain so fast.

2. Undisputed champion is a fine idea, but would lead to over-exposure if he had a long title reign.

3. I think Foley is best used sparingly these days, but he could make a good GM. Wasn't a huge fan of his commentary.

4. If they can't wrestle, make them valets or managers until they can. Just stop putting them in wrestling matches basically.

5. Lita? I'd much rather see Trish or Molly back. Agree with the rest though.

Now for some of my own.

Do away with scripted promos.

Unify all the tag titles and have a proper tag division again.

Have proper feuds for the IC and US titles. Make them mean something again.

Give ECW two hours and try to keep it as seperate from RAW/SD as possible.

Give all talent at least eight weeks off every year so that injuries can be healed and their bodies can be rested.

I realise some of these ideas would cost the company a lot of money and are realistically not feasible.

Do away with scripted promos.

So you would rather wrestlers trying to make it up on their own?

Some of the guys hardy know how to hold the mic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

That's why managers were invented. I'd like guys who have the ability to be good on the mic be given the oppurtunity to express themselves a bit more freely too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Here are mine anyway:

1. Change the Smackdown Colours to Black and Dark Purple.
    2. Get rid of 'easily distracted' referees! :D
    3. Bring back Hardcore matches/title.
    4. Reduced the titles to only WHC, IC, Tag Team, Hardcore and Diva.
    5. More attitude era style storylines - backstage brawls, strong factions, aggressive interviews, catchphrases etc., etc.

So you would rather wrestlers trying to make it up on their own?

True, but those who do, would be hugely benefitted i believe (Foley, for example, would likely have never given as many memorable promos if they were all scripted).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

This is as obvious as the nose on HHH's face.

My 5, in no particular order.

- Bring back Heyman for story writing on one of the brands, preferably SD which has the better talent

- Let at least one of the brands go back to stories and angles catered for those that aren't nine year old chain gang kiddies.

- Let the talent do their own promos, that was one of the killers of both brands for a while.

- Stop trying to recapture lightning in a bottle by trying to recreate the next Hogan (Cena), Rock (Kennedy), Austin (to a degree, Orton). It's been done already, it's not gonna happen again.

- Get whoever is booking to watch SNME from 1986 - 1990 so that they can learn how to write stories that actually interest people, as opposed to taking a story and dragging it on for half the year.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

- My main gripe would be with the developmental system and the standard of rookie thats brought up to WWE. Too many of the new talent is way too green and seems to have to do their learning of the trade on TV, which should NEVER be the case. Back in the day the high work-intensive territorial systems were the ideal breeding ground for young workers. Looking back to the 1992 Rumble for example, every worker was an experienced hand who knew what they were doing in the ring. Live TV is no place for inexperienced workers.

My solution would be to ship all young performers who are going to be given TV time off to Japan first, which is by far and away the best way to gain in-ring experience for a young wrestler. In Japan in ring performance is regarded of any other attribute and you are expected if not demanded to work damn hard to get yourself over. Even Hogan had to adjust his normal style into a more workrate intensive one to get over in Japan. As VR and I were discussing only last night, its no co-incidence that the really highly regarded workers of recent years such as Benoit, Eddy and Jericho all had extended stints in Japan, where their skills were honed. Spending time in Japan has worked wonders for A Train and Tyson Tomko more recently. Young Dibiase toured regularly with NOAH before his debut and it shows in his ability to carry himself in the ring.

WWE could do far worse than setting up a business arrangement with NJPW or NOAH as a means to season their rookies.

Anyway that went on far longer than I'd expected so I might post a few changes to WWE later.

- Stop trying to recapture lightning in a bottle by trying to recreate the next Hogan (Cena), Rock (Kennedy), Austin (to a degree, Orton). It's been done already, it's not gonna happen again.

I have to disagree.. If they never try to make the next Hogan, etc. then where do they go?

There has to be a person on the roster that everyone wants to see. If there was no Cena, i admit, there would probably be a bit more balance to the show (provided HHH wasn't on it, in which case it would just be the Triple H show, as we've seen before) but if Cena isn't there then you just have a bunch of mid-carders. You have to have your Cena there.

I reckon it would be safe to say that Cena's merchandise outsells everyone else on the rosters merchandise. Thats a lot of money. And you have to remember, little kids don't care if John Cena is a great technical wrestler or not. He's the superhuman, good guy that 'never backs down, never quits' and is percieved as being the really cool guy, therefore the kids want his merchandise. If there's no big star, then WWE would suffer. Look at mid 2007, when practically every main eventer had to leave with some injury or another. Luckily Cena left as others were returning, but it was hardly captivating TV.

I think you need to have a mega star all the time. Sure, as i say, Cena's no Chris Benoit, but was Hogan? Hell no. But you were small, so you watched him. I doubt anyone, when they were kids, sat down at WrestleMania VI and said "ugh, there's no way is this gonna be a great technical wrestling match". You just watched it because the characters were cool and popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

1. Less PPVs (I agree with Vince on this)

2. Employ Heyman as a writer.

3. Allow talent more freedom for promos. (I agree with VR on these two)

4. Avoid putting the belt on people who don't need it. Undertaker, Triple H, for instance.

5. End ECW along with the draft split. I feel its served its purpose and that wrestling would now benefit from Raw and Smackdown furthering the same storylines and showcasing the same talent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Sorry but I cant resist:

1. POOSH THE CRUSIERWEIGHTS

2. END THE BRAND SPILT

3. LET NICK DINSMORE WRESTLE

4. LET PAUL HEYMAN BOOK ECW

5. LESS PAY PER VIEWS

Yes I am jaded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

why drop ECW?? its been consistently doing 1.5 and 1.4 since mark henry became champ now look at the numbers of the old ecw on spike http://www.100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling/pages/ecw/ecwtnn.htm

i agree with flahavaj on his point however it might not work for everyone, japan is such a culture shock for most young americans that many will be homesick by the end of the first week. but something indeed must be done, far too many green rookies on my tv, now if vince hadn't destroyed all the old territories :pac:

like MSG and rovert says less ppvs, 14 a year is a joke, many they ain't even making money on, should be cut to 12 or maybe 10.

and btw the rock ain't coming back full-time unless you want to bankrupt the company :D

rossie1977 wrote: »
    why drop ECW?? its been consistently doing 1.5 and 1.4 since mark henry became champ now look at the numbers of the old ecw on spike http://www.100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling/pages/ecw/ecwtnn.htm

i agree with flahavaj on his point however it might not work for everyone, japan is such a culture shock for most young americans that many will be homesick by the end of the first week. but something indeed must be done, far too many green rookies on my tv, now if vince hadn't destroyed all the old territories :pac:

like MSG and rovert less ppvs, 14 a year is a joke, many they ain't even making money on, should be cut to 12 or maybe 10.

and btw the rock ain't coming back full-time unless you want to bankrupt the company :D

Erm rossie I dont know how to break it too you but my post is meant to be a piss take

rovert wrote: »
    Erm rossie I dont know how to break it too you but my post is meant to be a piss take

ok, i would still like to see less ppvs

ok, i would still like to see less ppvs

Id respond with my true feelings but I dont want other people to accuse me of beating down other people's opinion and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Id respond with my true feelings but I dont want other people to accuse me of beating down other people's opinion and the like.

Hasn't stopped you before...

like MSG and rovert says less ppvs, 14 a year is a joke, many they ain't even making money on, should be cut to 12 or maybe 10.

What, name me one which they havent made money on?

What, name me one which they havent made money on?

december to dismember big time, that did 80k when it takes about 120k to just break even

stuff like one night stand, backlash, gab etc they are barely breaking even on

Meh, go for it.

Hell just give your own and don't bother cross examining others if that's how you feel.

december to dismember big time, that did 80k when it takes about 120k to just break even

stuff like one night stand, backlash, gab etc they are barely breaking even on

But international buys often do make up for it though when the buyrate is low. You have to factor in some of these Pay Per Views dont occur every four weeks. So WWE can say buyrates are up every month or quarter. December to Dismember from what I remember did make money in the end and the break point for PPV buyrates is lower than what to said it is. But Ill try to find out for definite. Those secondary PPVs xan be described as barely breaking even as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

1. Turn the Undertaker heel.
    2.Turn Batista heel.
    3. Push MVP to the stars.
    4. Unify both Heavyweight titles and have a major tournament for the belt ala Deadly Games '98.
    5. Create a heel faction of Orton, Rhodes, Dibiase and Neidhart.

At the time of December to Dismember WWE's PPV break even point was 100,000 buys and the show did 90,000 buys, the show made money after the DVD release so all is not lost. To me that show isnt a poor "pure" example of there is too many PPVs as had the single worst promotion job for any major league Wrestling Pay Per View ever. The 100,000 buys break point was before the price increases for HD and in general. Buy rates have been strong for WWE this year.

If you where to say that for storyline reasons you'd like less PPVs. Id agree as clearly they arent being build up properly.

Meh, go for it.

Hell just give your own and don't bother cross examining others if that's how you feel.

I know how OP framed the topic differently for the purpose of fun but if I had five "magic wishes." I would hope the changes I would choose would actually work (who wants to be that guy who everyone knows as the guy who ****ed up a major company?), be that other fans would enjoy and this maybe the capitalist in me speaking but I‘d pick actually have a chance to make money.

Maybe I need to chill as all this responsibility has gone to my head. :)

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    4. Unify both Heavyweight titles and have a major tournament for the belt ala Deadly Games '98.

I other words you want to surprised again. Dont take this the wrong way but here is some advice cancel your internet access and maybe unage 10 years.

and yet wwe had 16 ppvs in 2006 and have since cut back to 14 this year

14 is still overkill for me

I know how OP framed the topic differently for the purpose of fun but if I had five "magic wishes." I would hope the changes I would choose would actually work (who wants to be that guy who everyone knows as the guy who ****ed up a major company?), be that other fans would enjoy and this maybe the capitalist in me speaking but I‘d pick actually have a chance to make money.

Maybe I need to chill as all this responsibility has gone to my head. :)

You could be just like WCW Russo!

• Advertisement

and yet wwe had 16 ppvs in 2006 and have since cut back to 14 this year

2006 was a test to see how many PPVs people will buy regularly in a year the found the number that was too many.
    14 is still overkill for me

Again when it comes to storylines I agree. But there is a sound financial reason for it being that number. There isn’t a near sure fire alternative to doing as many PPVs they are doing. If it aint broke they wont fix it. 14 is their optimum number currently

*Sucks the fun out of this thread*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

1 - Spend a lot more money on developmental. That's where the guys who'll be making money in the future have to come from, you can't skimp on it. I'd have three or four developmental territories, each with their own unique identity. At least one of them would be outside the US

2 - Longer feuds. I'm loving the Jericho/Michaels feud. I loved their last one too and it was built up well. I don't mean that I want long feuds like Undertaker and Batista had, or Undertaker and Edge, with title matches every four weeks. I mean feuds that are built up slowly. I don't think that PPVs have to be reduced, I'd just rotate the wrestlers so that it's not the same guys on every PPV

3 - No scripts for promos. I'm sure that there's WWE guys who'd struggle with that, but if they're made do it in developmental then they won't be so bad when they're on the main roster

4 - Make the tag division important, to the point where a tag title match could headline a PPV without any complaints

5 - I can't think of any more :pac:

They're my realistic choices, they could be done. If I really had the power I'd do more drastic things for my own enjoyment

You could be just like WCW Russo!

Totally, some people's suggestions (certionly not all do not get me wrong!) are very:

New_Jack_City_(Father_Ted).jpg
    I've had my fun. And thats all that matters!

Again I know it is more or less just a fun thread

I other words you want to surprised again. Dont take this the wrong way but here is some advice cancel your internet access and maybe unage 10 years.

Good to see you back to your old self, being civil just isn't you.:)

Good to see you back to your old self, being civil just isn't you.:)

I said dont take this the wrong way. Everyone wants to be surprised, there is a larger point in what I posted. I wasnt being uncivil here.

• Advertisement

I said dont take this the wrong way. Everyone wants to be surprised, there is a larger point in what I posted. I wasnt being uncivil here.

What was the larger point if you don't mind me asking.

Ive pretty much already made it. There are main two reasons why you look back on that tournment so fondly which are outside of WWE's hands.

I believe; That in current day wrestling, there is no such thing as a legitimate surprise. You'd literally have to disconnect from the internet in order to get a legit surprise (and you'd have to warn people you know to not tell you about things they read on the net).

Also:

New_Jack_City_%28Father_Ted%29.jpg

I've had my fun. And thats all that matters!

Thats actually quite hilarious!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I believe; That in current day wrestling, there is no such thing as a legitimate surprise.

Cena @ #30 of the Royal Rumble made me go :eek: :eek: :eek: I marked out as I didnt see it coming in the slightest.. though after 5 minutes I remembered I hated him again :(

DRakE wrote: »
    Cena @ #30 of the Royal Rumble made me go :eek: :eek: :eek: I marked out as I didnt see it coming in the slightest.. though after 5 minutes I remembered I hated him again :(

I don't know why, but I seen that coming a mile off.

Although, I did not hear the news shortly before the Rumble that said he was gonna be out for another x amount of months. :(

DRakE wrote: »

As WWE went to great lengths keep it off the Internet. It was a rare one that missed the net so to speak.

As WWE went to great lengths keep it off the Internet. It was a rare one that missed the net so to speak.

I believe they are trying to do it again, with Randy Orton's ever mysterious motorbike accident that no one but WWE seem to know about.

I believe they are trying to do it again, with Randy Orton's ever mysterious motorbike accident that no one but WWE seem to know about.

Again if you arent on the internet you would think most likely that the accident was real as you have no reason to believe otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'm convinced that Orton's motorbike story is just to cover up the fact that his injury will have him out for longer than he himself said

Fozzy wrote: »
    I'm convinced that Orton's motorbike story is just to cover up the fact that his injury will have him out for longer than he himself said

Doesn't he have a new baby?

Maybe WWE are treating one of their top talent really well and giving him some family time, but need a different reason for TV as his character isn't a married family man?

• Advertisement
Advertisement