Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

roughness in pdf basic

• 28-08-2008 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

really i know the films make the americans and other big nations army training to be brutal and i know it depends what wing of choice to go into,but what is the PDF army basic like?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

delta-boy wrote: »
    really i know the films make the americans and other big nations army training to be brutal and i know it depends what wing of choice to go into,but what is the PDF army basic like?.

Well this could open a can of worms with the older lads arguing with the younger lads how todays recruits are spoilt, so I'll try be nice about it.

Turning a soft young civilian into a soldier is always going to be tough on the recruit. Now matter how anyone looks at it, its a long & time consuming process.

In comparision to what alot of us went through recruit training (in the last ten years) has become a much more structured & civilised process. Which IMO is a good thing.

I believe recruits now are better trained than when I was passing out, but I also think they're soft.

I can't think of any movie which had recruit training similar to us tbh. First off movies tend to show the 'beastings' but very little (if any) of the other 99% of the BS the recruit goes through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭rednik

Being an old sweat :D recruit training 27yrs ago was like Full Metal Jacket:D:D. Recruits are treated with kid gloves these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Apperently we (62nd batt RDF) had a "tough" recruit camp but it was nothing compaired to what the PDF is go through im sure (was only two weeks anyway). Was a bit like band of brothers actually :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

rednik wrote: »
    Being an old sweat :D recruit training 27yrs ago was like Full Metal Jacket:D:D. Recruits are treated with kid gloves these days.

I certainly never saw any kid gloves during my training.

And can someone explain to me why I can hear the impending sound of someone htting the "breaks" very soon? :p

rednik wrote: »

Have to agree, but on the flip side of the coin.

When I graduated (passed out) my recruit training I didn't know basic soldiering like how to read a map and simple tactical training - ie patrol harbours, sections in attack (not leading them even) etc. So in that regard I think todays young private is better trained, but he/she's very soft compared with how training was back then.

Rednik, we'll share a moment here - overalls and staple belts ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭rednik

Overalls thanks a lot:D:D. What about the paste used on the ranges instead of those lovely stickers or the tin helmets. I remember fellas sewing a seam on the front of the overalls. Oh the memories.;)

I can hear the breaks starting to screech in here :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Breaks?

The whole "Basic was tougher in our day" thing is not unfamiliar on the American side of the water.

I'm not sure it's true. It is true that Basic was more brutal back then, but there's more to 'toughness' than getting beaten up a bit. Frankly, the physical side of Basic didn't get to me anywhere near as much as the mental side.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Recruit training doesn't need to be as tough as it once was. People led harder lives in the past and probably needed to be broken down more by the army. That's not so true anymore and in any case it would be easier to break down someone. Besides the role of a soldier has changed, become more complex and technical. There is no need for that these days. I suspect the average recruit is there because he wants to be a soldier. Not because, he couldn't get a better job or wanted to escape prison.

But the average modern recruit will still think it tough because they have no comparision other than movies like Full Metal Jacket.

But there's no real need for floggings and executions anymore, like when I joined the FCA :eek:

Well, OK it wasn't that bad. But we had the shouting and tough sergeants and corporals. But you know, only the screw ups ever really got shouted at or sent round the square double time with the rifles over their heads. The only trouble I had was trying not to smile at some of the witty comments they made while roaring at the wilting ranks. If they caught you it would end up like the scene with Joe Pesci in Goodfellas. 'What are you laughing at? Do you think I'm funny? WELL?'

Great fun, I enjoyed the whole thing.

Great fun, I enjoyed the whole thing.

On that note, when I went through US Army Basic, I was 25 and already had some inkling of the military from the FCA. I generally had a much easier time of it than the 18-year-olds because it wasn't my first time away from home, and I was experienced enough to know the mind-games that were being played by the drill sergeants. As we look back on what's going on now, through the lenses of of age, wisdom and experience, we perhaps forget the shock to the system that Basic can be to today's young recruits and just think "That's not so bad. What are they complaining about?"

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

I will never forget my first morning in basic with the British army. We were in the end room of the barracks and all the training NCO's burst in at 07:00 and screamed. We nearly **** our pants as they ripped into each room in turn.

By time it got to us they stormed in and all the NCO's screamed at us from less than an inch from our faces. They then trashed the place, one of the NCO's booted our bin and it smashed into one of the lads faces. One NCO's tipped my bed up and discovered I had left the plastic sheet on the mattress. I was ordered to take the sheet off and climb inside, once I was inside they kicked me to the floor and dragged me out the room into the corridor and then took great pleasure in swigging the cover into the wall. After about 8 hits my head was cut and body bruised. I was left there unable to breath, when I tried to open the cover they held it closed!

Day 2 was a log race and when I tripped with the log on my shoulder my NCO laid 6 or 7 punches into me. I soon learnt to switch on!

A few years later I had to do 2 years as a training NCO. By then it was carpets and the recruits had to in bed by midnight you probably know what I mean. We still had ways to get to recruits and in my opinion it was worse than a slap like I had in training. It was a lot more mind games and punishments.

Leadership wrote: »
    They then trashed the place

We called it a "Tornado"

mess1.jpg

If something was to spec, they left it alone (hence some of the beds remained untouched). If it wasn't to standard, they let you know.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Poccington wrote: »
    I can hear the breaks starting to screech in here :p

Big time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tippchap

i'm starting my training in either december or january, and would be very thankful if you could tell me just what to expect. like what does the first day consist of, is it talking and telling you what to expect or out runnning and exercising and so on??. yeah i know it sounds stupid but i'd still like to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

first day is just administration, giving you your beds and rooms etc...

first two weeks are "care bear" weeks when nothing will be tough really....after that its up to yourself, they wont bring you on a 10 miler straight away,fitness wise they build everything up so just stick with it and enjoy it*

*very loose term :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Glad to see this thread didn't turn into silly beggers, way back in the day I was in the ACF in the UK and then had a dabble with the TA, my recruit training in either never really got to much out of hand, room and billet raids on camp and the odd bit of physical from one or two of the screws but it was the lads, who were to be honest, a bit sh*te were the ones that drew most of the flack. But I do have a question for some of the lads here in the PDF..I've heard of a yellow card? if things get to hot does this exist? Maybe I was imagining or hearing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

iceage wrote: »
    But I do have a question for some of the lads here in the PDF..I've heard of a yellow card? if things get to hot does this exist? Maybe I was imagining or hearing things.

never heard of it and my training was 5 years ago:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

tippchap wrote: »
    i'm starting my training in either december or january, and would be very thankful if you could tell me just what to expect. like what does the first day consist of, is it talking and telling you what to expect or out runnning and exercising and so on??. yeah i know it sounds stupid but i'd still like to know.

A PDF sgt told me to go in with the attitude that the only 2 things they cant do to ya is kill ya or make you pregnant:D

Makes sense when you think about,he said just stick at it no matter what and help the weaker recruits

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LEGEND24

A PDF sgt told me to go in with the attitude that the only 2 things they cant do to ya is kill ya or make you pregnant:D

Makes sense when you think about,he said just stick at it no matter what and help the weaker recruits

the above is so true!!i was 25 joining,i got in by a matter of wks!!most of the guys trainin me where older than me nvr mind most of the 17yr olds trainin wi me who i felt a responsibilty to luk out for! but 1 ting i always remembered was,tink of urself at the bak of it!! (why are u der?)(do u really want it?)(how much do u want it?)(if u leave wat will u do job wise?) an in dis climate,exactly wat will u do???
    but really,for all u budding privates, honest, the way i looked at it,they cant kill u an if they hurt u physically?as in gave u a box or watever for no apparent reason then well they aint worth it n knock the **** out haha!!! but really,if u really wanna be a soldier,then u will stick it out,no matter wat,an to be honest,looking back, i trained jus over 6yrs ago as a 25yr old,it was some craic haha!!!
    we had 1 situation where it was in a matter of 4-6wks,n the orderly sgt was on,an we went for some evenin grub,which wasnt the best!! so,me living within 5miles,got on to me gf an asked her to bring some cleanin gear to the front gate(cos we had nothin n was expected to clean big time that nite plus at the bottom of the bag was a smuggled 6-7 bags of chips n sausages ;) gotta look after the lads hehe)BUT the funny part of the story is to come!!!well,us guys who look bak on it find it funny but to be honest,at the time,WE DIDNT!!!!
    we where stood at our beds waitin on a room inspection,unexpectedly,an our NCOs came in,an we were ****tin it! so they started wreckin the rooms as they do, but didnt 1 of em pull a certain locker out which contained a bag FULL of empty chip bags which a lazy colleague didnt leave over that mornin!!! sooo, he checked out the locker,n seen the bags, n twigged straight away i was the NATIVE who smuggled in the grub,came over n lashed me out of it!! the whole section got slaughtered for over an hour big time,we where in agony, over a bag of chips,but we all laugh bout it to this day,its one of those memories u nvr forget!!! n wudnt trade it :) recruit trainin is gr8 lads,no matter how CUSHY as they say it gets each yr but every person makes there own memories n makes gr8 friends which is the best part of it so dont be worried bout gettin stuck into it!!!! now to be honest,i`m a PDF so i cant say that the FCA training will be like that but nvr be afraid to give anythin like that a go!!:D

LEGEND24 wrote: »
    the above is so true!!i was 25 joining,i got in by a matter of wks!!most of the guys trainin me where older than me nvr mind most of the 17yr olds trainin wi me who i felt a responsibilty to luk out for! but 1 ting i always remembered was,tink of urself at the bak of it!! (why are u der?)(do u really want it?)(how much do u want it?)(if u leave wat will u do job wise?) an in dis climate,exactly wat will u do???
    but really,for all u budding privates, honest, the way i looked at it,they cant kill u an if they hurt u physically?as in gave u a box or watever for no apparent reason then well they aint worth it n knock the **** out haha!!! but really,if u really wanna be a soldier,then u will stick it out,no matter wat,an to be honest,looking back, i trained jus over 6yrs ago as a 25yr old,it was some craic haha!!!
    we had 1 situation where it was in a matter of 4-6wks,n the orderly sgt was on,an we went for some evenin grub,which wasnt the best!! so,me living within 5miles,got on to me gf an asked her to bring some cleanin gear to the front gate(cos we had nothin n was expected to clean big time that nite plus at the bottom of the bag was a smuggled 6-7 bags of chips n sausages ;) gotta look after the lads hehe)BUT the funny part of the story is to come!!!well,us guys who look bak on it find it funny but to be honest,at the time,WE DIDNT!!!!
    we where stood at our beds waitin on a room inspection,unexpectedly,an our NCOs came in,an we were ****tin it! so they started wreckin the rooms as they do, but didnt 1 of em pull a certain locker out which contained a bag FULL of empty chip bags which a lazy colleague didnt leave over that mornin!!! sooo, he checked out the locker,n seen the bags, n twigged straight away i was the NATIVE who smuggled in the grub,came over n lashed me out of it!! the whole section got slaughtered for over an hour big time,we where in agony, over a bag of chips,but we all laugh bout it to this day,its one of those memories u nvr forget!!! n wudnt trade it :) recruit trainin is gr8 lads,no matter how CUSHY as they say it gets each yr but every person makes there own memories n makes gr8 friends which is the best part of it so dont be worried bout gettin stuck into it!!!! now to be honest,i`m a PDF so i cant say that the FCA training will be like that but nvr be afraid to give anythin like that a go!!:D

Oh my poor eyes :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I am commissioning a team of expert linguists to attempt to translate that post into English. If we have any sucess I shall post up the translation. In the meantime you'll just have to guess what the poster was trying to articulate.

hehehe....took a while but I got it. Its quite impressive really when you consider to send a text that long on a Qwerty keyboard with your thumb is quite difficult! :P

Great attitude though.

hehehe....took a while but I got it. Its quite impressive really when you consider to send a text that long on a Qwerty keyboard with your thumb is quite difficult! :P

Great attitude though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tippchap

king-stew wrote: »
    first day is just administration, giving you your beds and rooms etc...

first two weeks are "care bear" weeks when nothing will be tough really....after that its up to yourself, they wont bring you on a 10 miler straight away,fitness wise they build everything up so just stick with it and enjoy it*

*very loose term :D
    thanx for the info man, i can't wait for the training to start. i'll finally get what i've always wanted.

tippchap wrote: »
    thanx for the info man, i can't wait for the training to start. i'll finally get what i've always wanted.

Be careful what you wish for!.

But I do have a question for some of the lads here in the PDF..I've heard of a yellow card? if things get to hot does this exist? Maybe I was imagining or hearing things.

I'm out of training a few months now but never heard of anything like that during training.

Could you maybe explain what the concept of a yellow card is? Just in case we've heard it being called something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Poccington wrote: »
    I'm out of training a few months now but never heard of anything like that during training.

Could you maybe explain what the concept of a yellow card is? Just in case we've heard it being called something else.

If the training NCO's are being too mean you can whip out your yellow card and they have to leave you alone for a while. I've heard it anecdotally about the DF and the BA but never anything concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭dahamster

concussion wrote: »
    If the training NCO's are being too mean you can whip out your yellow card and they have to leave you alone for a while. I've heard it anecdotally about the DF and the BA but never anything concrete.

ha ha ha ha ha. recruit tells nco what to do! Thats a good one:eek:

So thankfully I wasn't losing my marbles then Concussion...seems thats exactly the same thing I read somewhere, fairly sure it was Irishmilitaryonline.ie. Urban myth or somebody extracting the urine maybe.

Oops my mistake "time out cards" is the term used....And the yellow card /red card was used briefly in the Royal Navy it seems.

• Advertisement

So thankfully I wasn't losing my marbles then Concussion...seems thats exactly the same thing I read somewhere, fairly sure it was Irishmilitaryonline.ie. Urban myth or somebody extracting the urine maybe.

This has been debated to death on militaryphotos.net, but what I can tell you is that the myth originated from the U.S Army's basic training. To cut it short, it's BS.

Nah, I've never heard of anything like that during training.

If someone felt the NCO's were too much, they usually went on their ticket :p

Advertisement