Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I hard boil an egg?

• 28-08-2008 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

how long should I let them cook? There on now :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I knew I should have posted this in afterhours! mY EGGS ARE PROLLY RUINED!¬!!

• Moderators Posts: 51,813 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Nope. Still have at least 2 minutes to go if you want it hard.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Boil them for 10 minutes - then put the pot under cold running water to cool them so you don't get that greenish colour around the yolk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Ten minutes is far too long!

4 minutes for soft-boiled, 7 for hard. That's putting them into already-boiling water obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Thought you put them in cold water and bring it to the boil?

I usually cook them for around ten minutes just to be sure, by overcooking them you'll only get a green ring around the yolk, but it doesn't affect the flavour, better than having a runny yolk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭capedcrustacian

it takes 3mins to cook a soft boiled egg by putting it in water that's already boiling (egg timers!!!)

so a hard boiled egg takes about 9mins in already boiling water, or about 6mins after cold water has been brought to the boil:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Get one of these bad boys:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Egg-Perfect-Colour-Changing-Timer/dp/B0000CFGB5

So you can cook them from cold/hot whatever. And you don't have to worry about 'oh how long was that boiling' before setting your timer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

If you put salt in the water it'll boil at a higher temperature, by the way.

And if you don't want the eggs to burst, it's a good idea to use one of those little gadgets that pricks a hole in the fat end of the egg.

Mmm, boiled eggy with buttery soldiers.

Xxxx, cholesterol.

Damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Thanks Guys. Many eggs were had!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement